Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

850r wont start help please

Morning to everyone
    please can some one help me my 97 850r has cut out with me yesterday after driving through water which happened early hours of the morning in rainy wheather. car was spluttering abit but came right after a few kms then drove it about 5kms and cut out .the following day i dried all the electrical connectors ,distributor and still no start ,battery was going flat rather quickly so removed it and charged it up fully overnight then went onto internet to see how to check cranshaft and camshaft sensors to find out that i never had 12volts on pin 3 on the camshaft sensor and that is why i dont have spark on lug leads .now is this the ecu that could be damaged and can i hotwire from 12v+ to pin 3 on camshaft sensor please?.i have fuel pressure aswel just no spark from coil to plug leads .
    THANKS ANY HELP APPRECIATED
    Anthony

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    You drove through water!! So it must be something to do with water ingress.

Check all plugs and connections for water ingress and clean and dry them. Check your airfilter is not wet too. If it is, replace and dry out the MAF.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    How deep did the water get?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    hi thanks for replies water was more of a splash and id say about chassis height ,i did remove all the wire connection and sprayed wurth electrical cleaner on them and then blew it with compressed air same with all sensors and filterbox which was dry
    thanks anthony

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oubalie View Post
    hi thanks for replies water was more of a splash and id say about chassis height ,i did remove all the wire connection and sprayed wurth electrical cleaner on them and then blew it with compressed air same with all sensors and filterbox which was dry
    thanks anthony
    did it start, after treatment..??

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    did it start, after treatment..??
    This is going to be painful!

If the Air box and filter was dry, then the cause of your problem is unlikely to be water. Most likely just a coincidence.
    Sounds to me like your just going to have to start your diagnosis 'methodically' to acertain the cause. Although, your symptoms do sounds like Fuel pressure sensor failure!

First of all, if the engine cranks but you have no spark at the plugs/HT you need to work back and check that you have 12v and switching live at the coil. If you have 12v but no switching signal, then suspect the crank sensor.
    You also need to check for 12v AND 5v at the MAF. If you have 5v then your ECU or ECM (Engine Control Unit / Engine Control Module) is powered up and live or working! If you do not have 5v then you need to check ALL the fuses and the integrity of the ECM and it's fixing. Make sure it's not come dislodged.

It's a good idea to check all the fuses anyway but try and do it without pulling them all out one by one. This is not good practise.
    Use a multi-meter and have the ignition ON and check for 12v across each side of a fuse. It should be either 12v across both sides of the fuse if circuit is live or Earth across both sides of fuse if circuit is not live. Obviously, 12v on one side and earth the other, means the fuse has blown

Also, when your ignition is on you can also check fuel pressure, or at least, that the fuel pump is running. Depress the shraeder valve and see if you have good fule pressure continuously running.

See how you get on
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    This is going to be painful!

If the Air box and filter was dry, then the cause of your problem is unlikely to be water. Most likely just a coincidence.
    Sounds to me like your just going to have to start your diagnosis 'methodically' to acertain the cause. Although, your symptoms do sounds like Fuel pressure sensor failure!

First of all, if the engine cranks but you have no spark at the plugs/HT you need to work back and check that you have 12v and switching live at the coil. If you have 12v but no switching signal, then suspect the crank sensor.
    You also need to check for 12v AND 5v at the MAF. If you have 5v then your ECU or ECM (Engine Control Unit / Engine Control Module) is powered up and live or working! If you do not have 5v then you need to check ALL the fuses and the integrity of the ECM and it's fixing. Make sure it's not come dislodged.

It's a good idea to check all the fuses anyway but try and do it without pulling them all out one by one. This is not good practise.
    Use a multi-meter and have the ignition ON and check for 12v across each side of a fuse. It should be either 12v across both sides of the fuse if circuit is live or Earth across both sides of fuse if circuit is not live. Obviously, 12v on one side and earth the other, means the fuse has blown

Also, when your ignition is on you can also check fuel pressure, or at least, that the fuel pump is running. Depress the shraeder valve and see if you have good fule pressure continuously running.

See how you get on
    Sound advice as always Lee

Though I didn't think there was a fuel pressure sensor on the 850R?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Me neither, but one look at the fuel rail will confirm that!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi all sorry for late reply but with work and all with rain and cold weather i started from scratch and eventually found a wire had burnt off in the harness after repairing it i found 4 earth wires that had 12v on them repaired that problem under the dash aswell. Now i think that my ecu might of blowen also so will take it in to ecu repairers and let them check it out .i was on ebay looking for a ecu for a 850r but no luck and i read on this forum that theirs is a specific parts no mine has a motronic 4.3 module fitted ,i found one that has been modified to 4.4 but dont know if it will work the seller says that it will but that it has to be remapped to my car .i dont know so will leave it alone can i fit a dastek chip to it without a ecu ?(im not to clued up on that side of electronics

This user has no status

Thanks
    well after almost a month at volvo agent they found 1short in harness in engine bay and 3 shorts under dashboard also the ecu has blown .Now to find a ecu in south africa will be fitting a t5r ecu in the mean time .will get car back tomorrow .thanks for all the advise and help will keep you informed

Thread Information