Join Today
    Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks

It may be a bit of a thick question but...

I have a question that's bugging me. There are DOZENS of immaculate low mileage V70 2.4 T's available but only 170BHP. WHAT is it that gives these cars the 100 BHP EXTRA to make them into a T5 and FAST? I'm an aircraft engineer so suitably embarrassed to be asking such a dumb question except.......I would like to know please SOMETHING gives them the extra OOOMPH!

is it possible to 'upgrade' one of these 'standard' engines into the T5 by remapping, chipping, new injectors etc? The problem with my 'big bus' is that the bodywork and running gear is pretty much worn out so I am replacing, steel wishbones with alloy, rebushing everything new wheel bearing's etc etc just to get a ticket on it!!!

Would it be cheaper just to lift the T5 donk out of my car and drop it into one of these very nice looking low mileage 'shiny cars' that Im seeing for silly money, as no one wants the non T5's anymore. I fitted an uprated turbo and new alternator 2 years ago and I have slowly worked through VIDA sorting out all the engine faults so she is good to go!

There are two I have my eye on both sub 80k, full service histories, GOLD SPEC, all the toys - but little over a grand???? Pretty much T5 lookalikes, rear spoiler etc! Hmmmm leave the badges off and build a sleeper?

ta folks
    Last edited by Tee5alive; Monday 23rd April 2018 at 21:50.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    2.4 T5 has a K24 turbo instead of the 13T of the LPT, also has green injectors, instead of oranges. LPT has a slightly higher compression ratio than the T5, and obviously the mapping is totally different.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Monday 23rd April 2018)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Aha!! cheers Steve NOW I know!
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Perhaps over simplifying, but most of the power deficit is down to boost, or lack thereof. They are detuned for want of a better word, but the smaller turbos look like they spin up quicker (I say look like as I've not actually driven one, but it's common sense that they are probably less laggy, and the power curves I've seen for them support that).

I did actually toy with the idea of swapping to a 2.4T with a remap, which would bring power just short of a standard 2.3T5, but I figured I might prefer the more immediate response and could live with the slight power disadvantage. I've always found my 2.3 T5 to be quite laggy but that might just be because I've never quite got around to sorting it all out (if I could just get it running factory fresh maybe it would pull a bit better, but I think it's at the point now where I'd have to throw a not inconsequential wad of cash at someone like Shem to sort it all out).
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Tuesday 24th April 2018)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    FOrgot to point out the glaringly obvious! the 2.4Ts aren't 170bhp, that'll be the NA variant of the 2.4. The turbo'd 2.4s are more like 190bhp.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Saturday 19th May 2018),Tee5alive (Tuesday 24th April 2018)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    FOrgot to point out the glaringly obvious! the 2.4Ts aren't 170bhp, that'll be the NA variant of the 2.4. The turbo'd 2.4s are more like 190bhp.
    ahhhhhh I was gonna say as some geeza was selling one he reckoned was running 200 BHP I thought 170 sounded a bit low!

Cheers guys going to look at some options to see what I can assemble that's moderately fast from one of these cheap, but shiny 2.4T's! There seem to be a lot of black ones around, I know some of these might have been used at Heathrow where I work. See them coming in every day as limos for First Class pax, fleet owned so well maintained by Branson
    Last edited by Tee5alive; Tuesday 24th April 2018 at 22:29.

This user has no status

Thanks
    One thick question deserves another:

Do variants of our engines have the same camshafts? It was always the cams which differentiated engines. Mapping could accomplish some but how an engine breathes is camshaft territory. No?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
    One thick question deserves another:

Do variants of our engines have the same camshafts? It was always the cams which differentiated engines. Mapping could accomplish some but how an engine breathes is camshaft territory. No?
    If your thinking old school and high lift cams, yes.

However, on cars with VVT, the camshafts are not the same. On later P2 cars (IIRC) T5's have VVT on exhaust cam and R's have VVT on both Inlet and Exhaust.

It's the VVT solenoids that are ECU controlled that give a significant increase in MPG, decrease emissions and increase BHP. Without VVT, engines would be less flexible. Due to the different VVt set ups, the Camshafts will be different.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information