Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Help !! Ex police car v70 missing stereo 12 plate

Hi Everyone

Ive just bought a v70 on a 12 plate - ex metropolitan police car and the stereo has been stripped out

so - a couple of questions

can an aftermarket stereo be fitted ? and if so who can do it?

can a second hand volvo v70 radio cd head unit work or have the volvo tech heads put a block on that ?

ive been quoted £650 by volvo for new head unit and that's just a bit too tasty for my liking

any feedback or suggestions appreciated greatly

rob

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robbeswick View Post
    Hi Everyone

Ive just bought a v70 on a 12 plate - ex metropolitan police car and the stereo has been stripped out

so - a couple of questions

can an aftermarket stereo be fitted ? and if so who can do it?

can a second hand volvo v70 radio cd head unit work or have the volvo tech heads put a block on that ?

ive been quoted £650 by volvo for new head unit and that's just a bit too tasty for my liking

any feedback or suggestions appreciated greatly

rob
    Interesting first post.....btw, Head on over to the 'Introduction' section and say hello!

As it's a P3 car, the HU (Head Unit) is a module in it's own right, so you can't just chuck a Volvo HU in and switch it on. It'll need software from Volvo to make it work.

Most aftermarket units look nasty in a Volvo dash and they often don't work with the AMPS etc, so I'd stick with OE for the best sound.

A second hand unit will work but it will still require software.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    I Think the cops are a bit mean not letting their patrol cars have ICE in them! Long hours sitting beside motorways on 'the hump' bored silly!
    They need a 36" sub in the back and some PROPER GEAR so maybe they can chill to a bit of Trance, Euphoria or Gabba during a 180MPH chase!
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Lee how much does it cost to get it coded please and can it only be a Volvo MAIN DEALER? My radio fix hasnt worked slaving in a DIN aerial so its the reciever chip thats FUBAR. Without getting into time consuming electronics, comparators, osilloscopes etc I cant fix it It is also surface mount and Im not kitted out for micro surgery on a 14 year old radio !!
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

P2 Diversity and two radio antenna's

Quote Originally Posted by Tee5alive View Post
    Lee how much does it cost to get it coded please and can it only be a Volvo MAIN DEALER? My radio fix hasnt worked slaving in a DIN aerial so its the reciever chip thats FUBAR. Without getting into time consuming electronics, comparators, osilloscopes etc I cant fix it It is also surface mount and Im not kitted out for micro surgery on a 14 year old radio !!
    The dealer will charge you about £35 for any software downloaded from VolvoUK or Sweden, plus no more than 30 minutes labour.

Being an older model, you could ask the service manager nicely they might do you a 25% discount on the labour. All in with VAT, will be around £90.

You can check the continuity of the window aerial yourself with a volt meter set on 'ohms'. You should get a resistance reading at least. If it's open circuit and not working, then the meter will display the fact with no continuity beep!

In my almost life ownership of Volvos, I've never heard of the window aerial failing so I think you may be barking up the wrong tree.

Two antennas

Just so you are aware, there are actually two antennas on P2 V70's.
    One is a printed antenna in the side window glass and the other is in the rear bumper skin. There is a long connection plug that is accessible through the boot in the rear right corner.

It's a bit tight, but with adequate light, it's easy enough to disconnect, clean up with Contact cleaner and a bit of emery cloth, then reconnect.

There is also an antennae amplifier. Make sure the connections are both secure and clean.

These Radios were designed to use Antenna diversity, using two antennas to make a stronger signal. If your signal is weak or no longer receiving local stations that you used to listen too, try cleaning up the rear antenna connector first.

The connectors in the rear of the HU's have never, to my knowledge, come loose or disconnected, so removing the HU from the dash is a fruitless excercise.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Saturday 5th May 2018 at 15:20.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Saturday 5th May 2018)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Thanks Lee i bought a Din converter and an aerial and plugged those in to no avail, so I dont think its signal i reckon its deeper into the circuitry? I may try a fix to buy a cheap non working one as i just want the facia to see if its possible to fit a better off the shelf head unit as the old Volvo ones arent much cop for sound quality!
    If i can cut a neat single DIN slot out and make a mounting frame out of the old radio behind the facia Might look a bit naff though lol

Just had a thought you may be onto something with the ‘bumper antenna’ as the guy told me je had a very slight bump and the parking sensor got pushed in! Wonder if thats disturbed anything?

Are the signal amplifiers in the boot near the fuse board/sat nav cd player?
    Last edited by Tee5alive; Saturday 5th May 2018 at 19:57.

Thread Information