Join Today
    If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks

850 Rear suspension mounting bracket replacement

Hi all. Has anone done this wuthout removing the suspension arms?
    I have a brand new bracket, which locates the trailing arm to the floorpan, with various holes for e.g handbrake cable and stuff. So I am hoping to be able to undo the bolts, remove the bracket, pop the new one up and put new bolts in, but I cannot believe it will be that simple. I fear the spring pressure could cause it all to ping out of placeand make it impossible to re-align myself on the driveway.

Has anyone done this? Any comments welcome. I am only doing one side (the rusted away one) and hoe to replace the rear ARB as part of teh same exercise.

Would I be best advised to remove the road springs and/or dampers first?? The engineer inside me says "yes" the optimist says "I hope not!"

Thanks in advance

Woz

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    You can work on the rear suspension parts relatively safely if you just use spring compressors and take the tension off the spring seat and lower arm assy. Then it becomes two metal parts simply bolted together!
    No need to fully remove the spring, unless access becomes a problem.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Thanks Lee / I went and stared at it for a bit yesterday. I came to the conclusion that what you sauggest would be the best bet so that even if it does all shift out of alignment, without the spring pressure it should be easier to get it all shoved straight again to get the bolts through.
    Glad to have that thought confirmed before I start spannering. A gap in the weather is all I need now.
    Will let you know how it goes, may even do a "how to".
    Cheers
    Woz

Thread Information