Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

2002 Volvo XC70 COnRod Bearing Replacement

Hi guys,

it seems after initially suspecting turbo and hydraulic valve lifters (tappets) that I've actually spun a ConRod bearing and have been notified by Volvo that tolerances for bearings - or should I say Crankshaft journals are stamped/laser etched on the flywheel face near counter-weight and on bottom half of block (for engine rebuild purpouses).

I was also notified that there can be (even from factory specs) various (Yellow/Red/Blue) Combinations of Upper and Lower ConRod Bearings - depending on tolerances.

I have some numbers on the old (removed, damaged/spun) bearing that may or may not indicate whether they are "standard" size or "oversized" (my observations indicate standard as a) there is no number such as .025 etc... to indicate any number other than standard (to which all bearings have consistently the same numbers stamped upon them), b) The following after market bearings are ONLY available in "standard" - "non- oversized" form (indicating 'standard is the usual go);

http://precisionintl.com/CategorySea...l=&Engine=2395

The numbers on the original bearings are as follows (please see attached pics.);

VOLVO (genuine); 3531614

and on other side

09-01 (possibly indicating date of manufacture and also numbers; 5496

I am trying to avoid separating the transmission from flywheel to view tolerance stamping/s and am merely aiming to replace bearings from underneath by removal of the oil sump without further dismantling. I am aware of axial flange bearings which I do not intend to replace if I can at all help it.

Thanks for having a look at my post - any help would be enormously appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    As far as I know the big end (lower rod) bearings are not marked on the engine block. Googling that part number comes back as a standard size bearing, part of the kit 30777466. After reading some threads on Volvospeed I used standard size big ends (genuine Volvo) when I rebuilt my engine. Here's one http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...-rod-bearings/

Apparently you can get 0.25mm an 0.5mm oversize rod bearings. Not sure how Volvo would have marked if these were used in an engine, maybe they are for use when a crank is reconditioned?

The numbers on the flywheel end of the block correspond to the main bearings, there should be another set of numbers on the crank. Using both of these numbers you can work out what colour main bearings you need for the upper and lower sections.
    see: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...dard-bearings/
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    The numbers shown here are most likely the manufacturing date (week 09 Year 2001), 5496 is possibly an impression number for quality purposes, should anything be found to be incorrect dimensionally the batch can be traced and then remove form production and dealt with it whatever way necessary. T he long number in the other picture is as Dave stated the volvo part no.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Thread Information