Join Today
    If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks

PCV details on 940 lpt

Hi all i hope someone can help. We cleaned out the PCV on the car yesterday, all hoses plus the separator tank. I am confused as there is a connector where the main vent hose goes into the air intake pipe just after the turbo, which has an electrical connector, but does not seem to have anything inside, not that i can see anyway. Should it be a valve or is it a sensor?

Likewise the small pipe running into the intake manifold ...should it have any valve or is it just a free passge for fumes regardless of manifold pressure? To me it seems there is absolutely nothing to sprevent boosted intake air pressurising the crankcase, and nothing to stop crankcase air being drawn into the inlet, after the throttle body and bypassing the IAC.

The haynes manual is usless in this regard. Has anyone got a schematic diagram of the pipe run and/or any insights? In particular should there be any kind of check valves?

As an aside, having cleaned it all out, the oil fumes from the filler cap have reduced, but my son is reporting reduced levels of boost. Wondering if the cleaning has maybe dislodged some one way valve or other maybe?

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    It's probably like the PTC valve on the 850/x70 turbos (think it's on the turbo inlet piping rather than outlet) http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...ve-actaully-do

The pressure from the small hose will probably route back through to the ptc valve an into the turbo rather than going back through the oil separator

The turbo engine crankcase ventilation is routed differently to the NA engine.

940 Turbo ventilation diagram (not showing the ptc valve)
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Sunday 31st December 2017 at 22:41.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Thanks dave, it makes sense now. I realised after posting that it does of course feed in upstream of the turbo, so it sucks! Lol. That valve being a heater element in disguise explains why it looks like it does. Got it all working, and found the lack of boost was due to the split pin in the wastegate linksge having rusted away and the rod disconnected itself. We must have nudged while cleaning around the turbo. Piggy little job to get the remnants out, so we bodged it with a loop of wire for now pending turbo removal and new actuator. Happy New Year and thanks for the assist.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Ah back to boostly goodness then

No worries bud, have a fab day!
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information