Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Anyone help? Torque Pro/Any diag prog display eng temp?

Sorry for the ££££e topic title!

Can anyone with a Ph2 please check if possible (or confirm if you already know conclusively).....can you read the engine coolant temperature using an OBD ELM and Torque Pro or similar diagnostic software? Reason I ask is that I'm not seeing a reading on mine on either Torque Pro or OBD Car Doctor Free. It seems like it should be available, but I just get a stable 0 reading, and no errors. I just want to establish if this indicates a problem I need to deal with, or if it's simply that these apps can't get that reading from the ECU so nothing to be concerned by.

The dash gauge is reading fine, so the ECU must be reading the sensor OK.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I can read the engine temp on my 850 and my P1 V70 via torque pro and a bluetooth ELM reader so I'd have thought the P2 would be able to.

You can select the logged PIDs via the settings menu in torque pro, maybe it's not selected?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I did some googling and found a few mentions of this on other forums in relation to S60s and V70s, which confirm that other people are getting a reading for coolant temp on Torque Pro. Which makes it all the more frustrating for me.

I tested the sensor earlier, just unclipping it to check for any affects. Idle speed immediately changed and of course the ECU logged an error, which Torque displayed. Likewise the dash gauge dropped to zero when the sensor was disabled. I realise that doesn't prove that the sensor is providing a true reading to the ECU, but at least I know it's doing something. Torque Pro just shows a constant 0 no matter what the temperature is.

In terms of PIDs, I think it displays active PIDs (those that are able to provide any data at that time) in the list by highlighting them with a bright green background, whereas inactive sensors are not highlighted against the standard black background. But some of them (GPS related stuff being one example) are highlighted in a paler shade of green, and that is the case for the 'ENgine Coolant Temperature' as well.

I'll give Torque support a try and see if they have any ideas. Only other thing I can think of is maybe it's some sort of limitation due to the cheap ELM adaptor.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

538 Nm on the old car. Now
    that was torquing!
    Thanks
    I'm using a eBay cheap ELM adaptor and Torque. I can confirm that engine coolant temp is shown. Oil temp however is not.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Everyone too their own ...but this Torque pro i have used for quite a few years and one day with my V40 T4 the temp. showed 133 C and did i panic as i had just plugged it in after a very quick run.

The temp. on the guage and the feel on the engine cover showed it too be just normal.

So i never ever trust the Torque for anything just error codes.

Just saying so i wouldn`t myself worry if you can`t get the temp. come up ,it may just be a box that has to be ticked in Settings?

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Saturday 30th December 2017)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I'm using a eBay cheap ELM adaptor and Torque. I can confirm that engine coolant temp is shown. Oil temp however is not.
    You can add custom PIDs in Torque, I was reading something about Volvo and oil temps but didn't look too much into it as I mine doesn't do it.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information