Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

The boot subwoofer.

Evening all,

New buyer into Volvo only mine has an LPG conversion and the tank is where the spare wheel lives. Now I heard that there should be a factory subwoofer in the boot. I can't find it in there. From what I can see there is a grey female plug on the edge of the boot ( rear wall fwd of the rear bumper). To the left of that there is a box bolted to a plate above the battery.only thing is that I have no idea what the box is and there is a grey cable that is plugged into it but it seems someone has cut the other end off?

I've had a look about but I can see a picture of the subwoofer installed. All I find is after and all hidden and because I have LPG system in the way I can't just remove the tank so I need some help.

I'll add some pictures tomorrow.

Any clues so far!

Ryan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    The subwoofer is an option that came with the premium surround. It would go inside the spare wheel.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well there is this box which is on top of the battery. Has a plug coming out of it and the wires have been cut but there is another loom coming off it which disappears into the rear bumper.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This user has no status

Thanks
    So that box pictured and more in this post... well the wiring like said disappears into the rear bumper/crash bar. But it actually looks like oem wiring harness. The box also has a knob on it too which makes me believe that it's probably a gain controller for a subwoofer?

The grey cable which comes out of that little box goes to nowhere. So possible oem sub woofer?

Downside is car has an lpg tank in the boot. I do however have a subwoofer in the garage. Maybe worth a try?

Ryan

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    The subwoofer looks like this when instaled:
    Name:  V70 subwoofer.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  38.4 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

Footfistart (Tuesday 19th December 2017)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    From what I can see, the little black box with the knob on it is definately the amplifier that would normally be installed as part of the Subwoofer. It would live under the grilled section, shown above in Stribo's post.

Then the homemade cable (looks like 2 core grey home flex) has been used to route the actual sub elsewhere.......however, clearly someone has taken the sub?

It's a 12" speaker, so shouldnt be that hard to find, if it still is on the car.

If you flip the box over, does it have a small pc fan inside it?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    The subwoofer looks like this when instaled:
    Name:  V70 subwoofer.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  38.4 KB
    Finally a decent picture of what it looks like. All I could find was where it's located and how to fit one but nothing about how it looks.

Safe to say I don't think it's there which is annoying unless they bodged the lpg tank install which I very much doubt!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    From what I can see, the little black box with the knob on it is definately the amplifier that would normally be installed as part of the Subwoofer. It would live under the grilled section, shown above in Stribo's post.

Then the homemade cable (looks like 2 core grey home flex) has been used to route the actual sub elsewhere.......however, clearly someone has taken the sub?

It's a 12" speaker, so shouldnt be that hard to find, if it still is on the car.

If you flip the box over, does it have a small pc fan inside it?
    Oh really well I thought it was some sort of control when I saw the knob on it. Well I'll take a further look tomorrow before work and see. But I can tell you now that there isn't a 12" speaker in there that's for sure unless it's been hidden.

Yeah I'm not sure what's up with that cabling to be honest. I would like a sub in the car but I know they are expensive for the OEM ones. I do however have one. Just running it off of that controller would be a problem. Anyone have any specs of the amp?

Ryan

Thread Information