Join Today
    Always something to do!!
    Thanks

Front subframe bolts

Looking to replace my front anti roll bar bushes with the polybush repair kit and put the polybush inserts in the front subframe bushes while I was at it, so I was reading up on this in my Haynes manual and it says to replace the subframe bolts after removal, is this nessersary?
    Steve

98 V70 R 2wd auto, RICA 310, strut brace, ITG filter. Soon to come out of mothball.
    99 BMW Z3, owned from new, 30k miles, Garage Queen.
    2005 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6, Current project.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well, I'm going to open a tin of worms and say no (ish). Assuming the bolts appear to be in reasonable condition upon removal. The reason for replacing them is that they are stretch bolts. You do them up the specified torque and then angle tighten them the last bit. Once they've been stretched, you can't use the same approach for re-torquing them.

I've just had mine out and didn't replace them as a) I'm a tight wad and b) I knew I was going to have them in and and out multiple times so it made no sense. I probably will replace them once I know I'm done with my work in that area. I dunno how much they are from Volvo but I've seen them on eBay for about £8 a bolt.

When I put mine back I tightened them to the specified torque but for the final angle tightening (which is 120 degrees IIRC) I didn't go as far, maybe 45 degrees. It maybe dodgy territory but I went by feel, not venturing to what I felt was too far (enough to risk snapping). I've got thread lock on anyway.

If someone wants to come along and say that the bolts are now physically weaker and there's a real risk that any harsh impact could suddenly snap all 4 leading to a catastrophic accident then fair enough, I'll humbly take that on board. But I feel there's little risk of them loosening with the threadlock on them, and even if they do start to go, they won;t all go at once and it won't be sudden, and looseness will be quite evident to anyone who knows the feel and sounds their car makes.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

Quicksilver (Tuesday 17th October 2017)

Thread Information