Has anyone here had the dubious pleasure of replacing their subframe bushes in situ?

I read a load of stuff about the job weeks back, with various different approaches used, which I can manage myself. But I'm really really not sure whether to take this one upon myself. Some people have found it fairly easy and said first one might take an hour and after that it's dead easy, other people have said it's taken them hours to do just one bush. I'm comfortable with the removal, it's the pressing in that worries me. I'm one of those unlucky types that if someone says a job will take 15 mins, it'll take me an hour, and if it's supposed to take an hour it'll take me 4 hours. And it's not due to lack of skills or understanding or poor tools etc, it's always that something crops up that deviates the job from being as straight forward as it should (usually effing rust, stuff being cross threaded, seized or rounded off). So whilst I'm totally fine with this job in theory, I'm sort of convinced it's going to go tits up.

I hate throwing away money on labour for stuff I should be able to do myself. And I just know that if I ask a garage to do it, they'll say it's a subframe off job and straight away it's going to be much more expensive. If I balk at this, I think I'll just end up getting new wishbones, BJs and a 2nd subframe bush (cos the rear OS could do with being replaced too) and let the garage drop the subframe off (yes, I know doing the wishbones etc doesn't need the subframe dropped) and they can just do the bloody lot, but that'll meaning waiting a few months and this bloody knocking noise is doing my nut in.

Looking for sensible encouragement or well meaning "don't do it" advice depending on what your personal experience is with this task.