Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Replacing subframe bushes

Has anyone here had the dubious pleasure of replacing their subframe bushes in situ?

I read a load of stuff about the job weeks back, with various different approaches used, which I can manage myself. But I'm really really not sure whether to take this one upon myself. Some people have found it fairly easy and said first one might take an hour and after that it's dead easy, other people have said it's taken them hours to do just one bush. I'm comfortable with the removal, it's the pressing in that worries me. I'm one of those unlucky types that if someone says a job will take 15 mins, it'll take me an hour, and if it's supposed to take an hour it'll take me 4 hours. And it's not due to lack of skills or understanding or poor tools etc, it's always that something crops up that deviates the job from being as straight forward as it should (usually effing rust, stuff being cross threaded, seized or rounded off). So whilst I'm totally fine with this job in theory, I'm sort of convinced it's going to go tits up.

I hate throwing away money on labour for stuff I should be able to do myself. And I just know that if I ask a garage to do it, they'll say it's a subframe off job and straight away it's going to be much more expensive. If I balk at this, I think I'll just end up getting new wishbones, BJs and a 2nd subframe bush (cos the rear OS could do with being replaced too) and let the garage drop the subframe off (yes, I know doing the wishbones etc doesn't need the subframe dropped) and they can just do the bloody lot, but that'll meaning waiting a few months and this bloody knocking noise is doing my nut in.

Looking for sensible encouragement or well meaning "don't do it" advice depending on what your personal experience is with this task.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    Has anyone here had the dubious pleasure of replacing their subframe bushes in situ?

I'm comfortable with the removal, it's the pressing in that worries me. I'm one of those unlucky types that if someone says a job will take 15 mins, it'll take me an hour, and i.

Looking for sensible encouragement or well meaning "don't do it" advice depending on what your personal experience is with this task.
    Apparently the 2 piece delrin subframe bushes are a lot easier to fit , I've got front and rear ready to go on along with the new anti-roll bars

Name:  1058-sfb.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  399.2 KB

2003 V70R Titanium/Atacama

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'd imagine they are a lot easier. But where from and how much? I can only see them for sale at US stockists for ~$180 a set. Not sure I'd want the extra vibration in mine. I've already got a lot from a poly bushed g'box torque rod.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    I'd imagine they are a lot easier. But where from and how much? I can only see them for sale at US stockists for ~$180 a set. Not sure I'd want the extra vibration in mine. I've already got a lot from a poly bushed g'box torque rod.
    Got mine from a fella in Germany was a bit cheaper without the import tax etc.

Was not without a few 'supply issues' though and had to wait a while. So wish I'd got them from the states instead.

From everything I've read there's no extra vibration.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    If you're going oem then getting the old ones out is the hard and laborious part. When I did mine I used a sharp wood chisel to cut through the plastic outer ring which meant they popped out easily. It is still quite tough getting through the rubber so I used some wd40 to help the chisel slide through easier.

Putting the new ones in I used a block of wood to hold the subframe away from the chassis and tightened the bolt to push the mount into the subframe. Oh and I applied some grease to the plastic of the mount to help it slide in easier (straight faces please)
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Why bother?

Why not just fit Polyurthane Subframe bush Void inserts? Very, very simple and has the same desired affect. Alot bloody cheaper aswell!

Name:  pfv908783_large2.jpg
Size:  34.3 KB
    Last edited by LeeT5; Thursday 12th October 2017 at 20:57.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Thursday 12th October 2017)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Got a set of inserts in the garage, bought them of grahame welch, who got them from Harvey I believe.

Must get round to fitting them I suppose, it's quite an easy job.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've got inserts in the front two. Can't get them in the rear two as they are ££££ed (it was doing this job that drew my attention to the knackered rear NS one). The metal collar has rusted which causes the rubber to balloon outwards from it and this closes up the gap in the bush, so short of using a hydraulic press I'm not going to get the inserts in to the rear ones. Once they get this bad I think it would be a waste of time putting the inserts in anyway.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Got a set of inserts in the garage, bought them of grahame welch, who got them from Harvey I believe.

Must get round to fitting them I suppose, it's quite an easy job.
    Yes he did, Very easy to watch them being fitted holding a coffee cup , car on two post lift and transmission jack used to press them in.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Why bother?

Why not just fit Polyurthane Subframe bush Void inserts? Very, very simple and has the same desired affect. Alot bloody cheaper aswell!

These are the ones I had fitted.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The inserts are a piece of piss to get in (if the void hasn't closed up like I described above). Providing you use copious amounts of grease on them (the little sachet provided is way too little IMO). With and impact gun to whiz the bolts in and out, and using a trolley jack to press them in (I used something like a 35mm socket as a press) they only take about 10mins a piece.

I got mine off eBay for about £22. Turned out to be the Pro Parts Sweden ones that I think PFS sell.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    The subframe bolts should be torqued to 104Nm + 120 degrees, not tightened with an impact gun!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Friday 13th October 2017 at 10:19.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The subframe bolts should be torqued to 104Nm + 120 degrees, not tightened with an impact gun!
    You've assumed I didn't do that Lee. Come on, don't take everything so literally!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Sunday 6th September 2020)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Why bother?

I tried those inserts first but honestly couldn't tell any difference they seemed pretty squishy to me. I read that the inserts work best with brand new OE sub-frame bushes rather than worn ones with 100's of thousands of miles on.

Another option I considered were the blue XC90 ones which are a bit firmer rubber than stock V70 ones. Think IPD sell them as 'uprated' for the R.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/6305...bframe-bushing

Name:  fullsize_16118.jpg
Size:  119.0 KB

Looking forward to getting mine done as people say that the difference is pretty marked, which I'd believe as the sub-frame acts as a datum for everything else that hangs off it.

oh. another option for removal I've read about would be a hole saw

Name:  download.jpg
Size:  3.9 KB
    Last edited by stricky1967; Friday 13th October 2017 at 13:22.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stricky1967 View Post
    I read that the inserts work best with brand new OE sub-frame bushes rather than worn ones with 100's of thousands of miles on.
    Makes total sense to me. They are a sticking plaster approach. They are only reducing movement within the bush by filling the empty space. If the rest of the rubber is perished etc then there will still be more movement than with fresh bushes. Also remember that the bush protrudes through the top of the subframe creating a small gap between the subframe and car body. As the rubber weakens and becomes more compressed that gap can diminish and lead to the subframe and body meeting. Volvo made a rubber O ring to go in that gap for the S80 to address clonking noises caused by this.

And apparently (well, from my reading anyway) the problem I have with my rear bushes - the metal collar rusting and causing the rubber to separate and swell - is quite common. So even if I could get the inserts in to them, it's just a bodge to lessen the effect of a knackered bush. Mine has only done 105k miles, but it's 17 years old and lives outside so I guess the elements have just taken hold and caused the corrosion in the bush.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Have u hoy contact of that fella ho supply u with them derlin bushes m8?

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimondas View Post
    Have u hoy contact of that fella ho supply u with them derlin bushes m8?
    Just get hold of Tim Williams in Coalville, he supplies solid aluminium replacement subframe mountings which seems to be the way to go theses days and no increase in vibration apparently.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    I'm sorry Adrian but I fail to see how changing rubber mounting to solid wont give you noise vibration?
    Even after i fitted my Bush inserts, the first thing you notice is an increase in growl from the engine and an extremely subtle increase in vibration.
    Having a solid aluminium mount would surely mean all the noise vibration travelling through just the top engine mounts.
    I dare say it would improve gear changing though, mine radically improved.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    I agree, but Tim reckons there is no trade off in vibration and only a gain in body stiffness/handling etc, if i get the time I think I will machine up my own and road test some, as I do think all these rubber mountings are a tad excessive tbh (with all the other rubber mounts the other items are in), I like to push these cars a bit an look for proven upgrades, even if Tim makes them or I make my own, i still like to push for improvements where ever I can find them, next issue will be trying to decide which car to test them in.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    I agree, but Tim reckons there is no trade off in vibration and only a gain in body stiffness/handling etc, if i get the time I think I will machine up my own and road test some, as I do think all these rubber mountings are a tad excessive tbh (with all the other rubber mounts the other items are in), I like to push these cars a bit an look for proven upgrades, even if Tim makes them or I make my own, i still like to push for improvements where ever I can find them, next issue will be trying to decide which car to test them in.
    I have a spare set you can use as a pattern if you like?

Thread Information