Join Today
    What does not kill us ... we
    realize stronger
    Thanks

Problem with viscous coupler (9183905) V70R AWD mk1

Hello everyone,

I encounter a problem with a VOLVO garage which tells one of my friends, after diagnosis, that the visco-coupler of his VOLVO is dead.
    It does not justify his diagnosis, it is not very clear .... My friend wishes a second opinion and will see next week another garage VOLVO.

To sum up :
    My friend can ride with the car without any problem, he made 140km to go to the garage. He did not hear any particular noise.
    He tells me that the car makes noise when turning, like a rolling sound, at low speed and nothing else.

This noise I got it also when my transmission shaft (I also have a V70 R AWD) to start dying.
    When the silent block of the transmission shaft begins to die, it ends up putting play in the spindle of the transmission shaft and must therefore be changed.

I wanted to know if any of you have ever had a breakdown with the viscous-coupler and if so what symptoms did you have?
    - Is the transmission blocked when the viscous-coupler is dead?
    - Is the viscous-coupler making noise when it is going to die?

I have no feedback on viscous coupler problems.

Thank you in advance.

Yann
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8980&dateline=1394569  557
    RiSE94 - COLONEL OF ARMY "R"

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Vibration/noise can be from other components. The bearing on the propshaft and the front CV joint on the propshaft are common wear points. Also the connecting sleeve on the angle gear wears down.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

What does not kill us ... we
    realize stronger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the answer Dave .

I got that as an answer too :
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
    The viscous coupling tends to make a clunk when taking a high speed curve when it's failed. Other common symptoms will be a clunk when reversing or a clunk when slowing to a stop (at very low speed just before stopping).
    If the sound is always present but sounds like it's coming from where the viscous coupling sits, then it could be the bearing that is behind the flange on the torque tube (the housing that holds the viscous coupling). The bearing is very inexpensive and can be changed. These kinds of noises can also be a worn angle gear or even a worn bearing on the passenger side driveshaft although I think that one would be easier to pinpoint given where it is.
    There is a test to check if the viscous coupling is functioning properly by lifting one of the front wheels off the ground and then measuring torque at one of the rear wheels by turning it. Volvo says it's supposed to remain above 50 Nm through the turn and anything less than that implies damage to the VC.

Hope this helps to figure out the problem.
    And I have answered :

Hi Will,
    Thank you very much for the answer. I did not know the procedure VOLVO, now yes!
    I passed all the information to my friend but the garage VOLVO (It is nevertheless the garage VOLVO .....) never wanted to do the procedure! .....
    They still removed the transmission shaft to isolate the noise and ... actually there is no more.
    I said that it came more from the transmission shaft than from the viscous coupling .
    The noise you made Will was not there.
    It's a shame that VOLVO is not willing to do the procedure to isolate the problem. On the other hand they offered to buy a more recent model ..... That's where we are in France ... regrettable.
    My friend went away with his VOLVO without his transmission shaft and without knowing exactly where his problem came from. He can actually ride in 2 FWD.
    Thanks again WIll
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8980&dateline=1394569  557
    RiSE94 - COLONEL OF ARMY "R"

Thread Information