Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Guess the rattle (Part 2) - back end now!

Well, not so much a rattle actually, more an occasional creaking/grumbling from under the boot floor that started a few weeks ago and has started to become more regular and pronounced in the last few days. The other symptom is a very occasional sound like a pop - best way I can describe it is like something (balljoint, nut and bolt etc) being put under tension and suddenly popping out of position (or back in to position), which mostly seems to happen under extreme vertical travel at the back (like an aggressive standing start causing the back to squat, or when I took a tight uphill left turn at speed causing the back NS wheel to become unloaded).

Both springs, shocks and top mounts were replaced a couple of years ago. Droplinks are Meyle HD and about 2 years old. The look and feel OK.

Could be the rear ARB bushes. They are showing signs of perishing.

Other bushes appear OK. The only two that concern me are (I don't know the right names for them), the big one at the front of what I'd call the trailing arm, where it joins the subframe near the front of the arch, and the one on the other end of that same 'link' or arm where it joins the hub. Both look OK but there is a small amount, like maybe 1mm, of movement with some levering. I don't know how much movement is acceptable though. Looks like a subframe off job (and hydrualic press) to do that front bush so god help me if that one is gone as that's going to be a big bill!
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    Well, not so much a rattle actually, more an occasional creaking/grumbling from under the boot floor that started a few weeks ago and has started to become more regular and pronounced in the last few days. The other symptom is a very occasional sound like a pop - best way I can describe it is like something (balljoint, nut and bolt etc) being put under tension and suddenly popping out of position (or back in to position), which mostly seems to happen under extreme vertical travel at the back (like an aggressive standing start causing the back to squat, or when I took a tight uphill left turn at speed causing the back NS wheel to become unloaded).

Both springs, shocks and top mounts were replaced a couple of years ago. Droplinks are Meyle HD and about 2 years old. The look and feel OK.

Could be the rear ARB bushes. They are showing signs of perishing.

Other bushes appear OK. The only two that concern me are (I don't know the right names for them), the big one at the front of what I'd call the trailing arm, where it joins the subframe near the front of the arch, and the one on the other end of that same 'link' or arm where it joins the hub. Both look OK but there is a small amount, like maybe 1mm, of movement with some levering. I don't know how much movement is acceptable though. Looks like a subframe off job (and hydrualic press) to do that front bush so god help me if that one is gone as that's going to be a big bill!
    I've had those rear trailing arm bushes replaced and you don't need to remove the subframe.

To do a full 'rear bush' overhaul will cost around £400 labour at a garage. Not adviseable to do them on your driveway unless you have access to Oxyacetalene, a really big bench vice, pneumatic resiprocating saw and a whole day of swearing and shouting!!

Refer to my project thread (first few pages) for info on bushes.

Empty your boot first of everything and go for a drive, then you can rule out creaking floor boards or loose trim. Take up the floor panels and remove any loose items.

Common failing parts sre the rear ARB drop links and rear spring seats.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lee, that ~£400 you paid for the rear end bushes to replaced, was that with your super-discount from VOlvo, or did you get it done somewhere else? Also, I'm at a loss as to how those trailing arm bushes would be done with the beam in situ. Does it just get lowered a bit?

Everything seems to have quietened down again after I went poking around the other day.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    Lee, that ~£400 you paid for the rear end bushes to replaced, was that with your super-discount from VOlvo, or did you get it done somewhere else? Also, I'm at a loss as to how those trailing arm bushes would be done with the beam in situ. Does it just get lowered a bit?

Everything seems to have quietened down again after I went poking around the other day.
    Had the work done at SW Autos. It's a full day mate!!

Yes, it gets lowered down not fully removed.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information