Join Today
    SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts

Engine undertray- really necessary or not plz?

My R has come back with the slightly battered tray in the boot. Sure that it will be OK to re-fit but is it really needed?

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Its not really needed mate, it just there to stop potential damage from debris etc. its not an aerodynamic feature as some people seem to believe. Welcome back to the fold....again

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nealevo For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Wednesday 16th August 2017)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip and also the welcome back!! I never left the Volvo scene completely as I still had my C70 T5, but I haven't been on here much, I must admit.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    If you look at one of these undertrays you will see how important they are intended to be in managing the airflow both through the crucial intercooler and the radiator, furthermore there are ducts moulded into them to further manage air circulation up to the turbocharger and the downpipe.

If you potter about with the car never really reaching working temperatures you most likely will not have any problems..... otherwise you most certainly will over time.

Don.
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Thursday 17th August 2017),LeeT5 (Sunday 20th August 2017),MoleT-5R (Wednesday 16th August 2017)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
    If you look at one of these undertrays you will see how important they are intended to be in managing the airflow both through the crucial intercooler and the radiator, furthermore there are ducts moulded into them to further manage air circulation up to the turbocharger and the downpipe.

If you potter about with the car never really reaching working temperatures you most likely will not have any problems..... otherwise you most certainly will over time.

Don.
    Thanks for this Don. Can anyone suggest the best clips to buy as I don't have any if I am to refit it? Loads on the bay, but want to get the correct/best ones.

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Tray refitted just with cable ties rather than bolts. Removed all the crud from it which was rather a lot tbh!!

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Mine hasn't had one since I fitted the do88 radiator and intercooler, mainly as it'll no longer fit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Friday 18th August 2017)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    mine normally get binned first time they get took off

12. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

claymore (Saturday 19th August 2017)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foammanmark View Post
    My R has come back with the slightly battered tray in the boot. Sure that it will be OK to re-fit but is it really needed?
    I'm my opinion...Yes!

I could count on both hands the amount of ppl I've been out to with cracked sumps, damaged oil filters, torn P/S lines etc, etc. The damage and expense just isn't worth it, plus like Don mentioned about the cooling properties and yes under trays do help with slip streaming the car.

I have an Alloy one fitted to mine from Volvo and that has cooling ducts. Everytime I remove it for service I notice a new scratch or dent on it from debris in the road. You'd be suprised at how battered they get.......imagine that was your sump!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Sunday 20th August 2017)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    I'm my opinion...Yes!

I could count on both hands the amount of ppl I've been out to with cracked sumps, damaged oil filters, torn P/S lines etc, etc. The damage and expense just isn't worth it, plus like Don mentioned about the cooling properties and yes under trays do help with slip streaming the car.

I have an Alloy one fitted to mine from Volvo and that has cooling ducts. Everytime I remove it for service I notice a new scratch or dent on it from debris in the road. You'd be suprised at how battered they get.......imagine that was your sump!
    Thanks Lee. As posted, it's back on, and I have a TC splitter on the front bumper also.

Thread Information