Join Today

Thread: Petrol fumes

This user has no status
    Thanks

Petrol fumes

Last couple of days I've detected a slight smell of petrol after shutting off the engine on the V70. My boy's car seat is on the rear OS so I park up, switch off and in those 30 seconds it takes me to get out and open his door and get his seatbelt off, I can smell the fumes. I haven't smelled it at all with the engine running (and my wife has crazy super acute sense of smell so she would have noticed any fumes inside the car weeks before I did!). I tested it yesterday, with the engine running, I had the car seat out and the seat base folder up, pulled back the foam bit under the seat and I was sniffing away in that area and down by the wheel/sill and couldn't detect anything until the engine was shut off, then had fumes for about 30 seconds.

Questions:
    1) Is there any logical reason why fumes would only be forced out (or even an actual petrol leak) in the 30 seconds after shutting off the engine?
    2) What should I be checking?

I've done the obvious and had a quick look under the car at the filter and surrounding area and no sign of a leak (filter is only a few years old too). Tank was filled up a week ago, and not overfilled (just to the first click on the pump, and it took the expected amount). Fuel consumption on the computer doesn't seem any worse so pretty sure there's not an actual significant leak.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    May be barking up the wrong tree, but I seem to remember something about the carbon canister only actually doing something when you switch off?
    Maybe the return line from there?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

Gold 'N' Brown (Wednesday 9th August 2017)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Have your codes read as you may have a faulty Vacuum pump in the carbon canister circuit.

Have you checked under the bonnet to make sure you've no fuel leaks around the injectors and fuel rail?
    Last edited by LeeT5; Wednesday 9th August 2017 at 09:11.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Not checked under the bonnet yet, but the smell definitely is only coming from around the rear OS/rear OS back seat (I really need to do another test to see if I can only smell it inside the car or if it's coming from outside only).

I had a read about the carbon canisters and failure of the J hose last night. The symptoms people describe are just about bang on the same as mine.I need to do handbrake cables and faff about with my back box before the MOT so I'll have a snoop around the canister while I'm under there.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'd also pull up rear seats and take off the both pump and sender unit covers to see if there is any petrol on top of the units. Takes literally 2 mins. No need to take out the pump or the sender, just the metal cover which is held by 4 bolts.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

This user has no status
    Thanks
    OK, pretty certain it's not coming from inside the car. Had a full car last night - 2 kids, wife and MIL - and none of us could smell anything inside whilst driving. I stopped and we all sat there breathing in deeply and still couldn't smell anything. Got out and could smell it around the back of the car, then it quickly disperses. I think based on what I've read that a problem with the carbon canister system seems most likely, so I'll get under and check it soon.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    My V70 (P1) had a similar issue, could smell petrol.

Turned out to be the fuel filter (which wasn't very old) had corroded around its bracket and was letting a tiny amount of fuel out which wasn't noticeable until it was removed.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Saturday 12th August 2017)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    My V70 (P1) had a similar issue, could smell petrol.

Turned out to be the fuel filter (which wasn't very old) had corroded around its bracket and was letting a tiny amount of fuel out which wasn't noticeable until it was removed.
    Leave the ignition 'ON' (engine off) and reinspect the fuel filter again. Undo the bracket and check the whole filter.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Saturday 12th August 2017)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    There's a alloy vent pipe next to the main filler that can corrode have a good look in the wheel well to see if there's any staining.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The smell seems to have disappeared as the tank has run down (I'm now down to the last 1/4 and haven't smelled it all recently). Although I did undo the cap and poke the flap in, around about the time I first posted this thread, just in case of a vapour lock.

I had a snoop underneath yesterday. My god that carbon canister is well hidden! I don't fancy having to do any maintenance on that! But all the hoses to it appear OK. I checked the J pipe that apparently is common to split and that is fine. No sign of any leaks or corrosion up under the filler and down to the tank. I did forget to inspect the filter again so I'll do that next.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    The smell seems to have disappeared as the tank has run down (I'm now down to the last 1/4 and haven't smelled it all recently). Although I did undo the cap and poke the flap in, around about the time I first posted this thread, just in case of a vapour lock.

I had a snoop underneath yesterday. My god that carbon canister is well hidden! I don't fancy having to do any maintenance on that! But all the hoses to it appear OK. I checked the J pipe that apparently is common to split and that is fine. No sign of any leaks or corrosion up under the filler and down to the tank. I did forget to inspect the filter again so I'll do that next.
    Mate, the first thing I'd replace is the filler cap! I replaced mine as the seal was very hard and cracking.
    They're not expensive and come with the rubber seal. Then refill the tank to the first click and see how it goes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Gold 'N' Brown (Tuesday 29th August 2017)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That's a really good point Lee, can't believe I overlooked that!

Thread Information