Join Today
    SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts

Year 2000 C70 T5. ETM advice.

170k on the clock but I've just ploughed £500 into the bodywork, cam-belt change less than 2k miles ago, and now it seems the dreaded ETM issue is here. Is it worth cleaning it or am I just delaying the inevitable please?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Clean it first as it will be subject to carbon build up and therefore erratic/poor behaviour. You've nothing to loose and it will make a difference.

Just make sure you reset the adaptions before starting the car!! If you cannot do that, then at the very least, you'll need to disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Tuesday 18th July 2017)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Cheers Lee for the above. Local indy wants £500'ish to replace it, so it's deffo a clean to begin with. Plenty of guidance on youtube, and your tip above!

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    In the very early stages of ETM failure, as the symptoms only started on the last 250 miles work trip. She was fine when I popped by Shem's in Nottingham, but not OK by the time that I got Home. Using her tomorrow, but her idling was very erratic when I just fired her up.

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Started to strip the car down, and came across very corroded lower fan shroud screws so decided to abandon the job. Contacted Shem but no response as yet, but I'm going for whatever repair is available by someone in the know rather than attempting the repair myself.

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    OK, so I feel a bit of a numpty tbh. Decided to start replacing vac-lines last Thursday, and whilst doing that, I got hold of the pipe from the bottom of the intercooler which was totally adrift at the botom. Pulled the whole pipe out and the jubilee clip had totally corroded away.

New clip, car running beautifully, and Mikalor clamps just arrived to do the job properly.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    You'll still need to clear the fault codes that will have been logged.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    OK Lee, cheers for that.I'll run her by my local indy in the next few days and see what's logged.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    FRF did me 250 quid exchange for a new ETM. You may need to take it to Volvo to get it flashed? Mine worked straight out of the box. I'd happily fit it FOC.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    FRF did me 250 quid exchange for a new ETM. You may need to take it to Volvo to get it flashed? Mine worked straight out of the box. I'd happily fit it FOC.
    Hi WD. Thanks for the offer, but it turned out not to be the ETM if you read earlier in the thread. If/when I do ever have an ETM issue, I will be touch!!

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Read them last night with my cheap reader that came back with my V70 R. Think P1238 was logged, but could be wrong. Anyway, the car is driving even better today..............

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    You should clear that code, which relates to Air fuel metering/TCV, then see if the fault returns. If it does, then replacing the throttle Assy has merely uncovered a separate issue, which may or may not have already been present.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Wednesday 16th August 2017)

Thread Information