Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

1997 V70 T5 Stood for 6 months.

OK, if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

For various reasons, my 97 V70 T5 (pre ME7) has sat on my drive since the end of November. From time to time I have started it up and let it idle for 30 minutes to get it up to temperature and to keep things moving.

Recently I left it perhaps too long and this last time, I found the battery completely flat, though not so much that the clock on the central display was still working.

After some new fuel and a jump, the car started and I ran it for an hour and a half to ensure that everything was as it should be.

Well, just about everything was with three exceptions.

1). The service light has come on and instead of going off after the prescribed two minutes of starting the car, it flashed intermittently for an hour and a half.

2). The temperature gauge did not work initially and then several times it raised and fell until finally it stayed at zero for the rest of the trip.

3). The speedo has not worked at all.

All of these are new problems to me, I have not seen them on the car before and actually nor have I read anything I can remember on any of these pages about such issues.

Is anyone out there who might have an idea what is causing these errors please??

Thanks in advance,

James.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Fault codes first???
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Perhaps time for a new battery or a proper re-charge of the old battery?

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, I'll see how much of a change there is by charging the battery fully and then if the problem persists, I will get the codes read and take it from there.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You are probably right, but that possibly won't explain the inactive speedo?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UKJamesV70 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I'll see how much of a change there is by charging the battery fully and then if the problem persists, I will get the codes read and take it from there.
    Charging the battery will make buggerall difference. If the car starts, as long as the alternator output is correct and the battery is not 'open circuit' or so heavily sulphated that it can't physically take any charge, then it won't be a battery issue.

Post any fault codes here and go from there.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    I once owned the same model and it was the `97 one same as yours .

Didn`t use it much maybe twice a week around the block to keep things moving.

I bought a digital boost gauge which also had the battery indicator of amount of charge on the dial when first started.

The charge was always around 12.4v when using but if not used for a few day the voltage would drop to 10v and it would just about start.

One day i went just 2 miles then stopped at B&Q came out to start and it wouldn`t and the voltage was 8v ...it turned over but would not start...had to call out the breakdown for a jump and then ok.

After explaining that i always knew that the battery needed replacing more than it needed re charging as it would not hold any decent charge.

I think your answer is a new battery as even if the charging apparatus is working ok it will still not work the same as having a battery in good condition.

When you turn on the ignition it needs a good amount of electric to supply all the sensors before it can start and the alternator is not turning to supply anything.

Modern motors are all battery reliant not alternator reliant?
    Last edited by 960kg; Wednesday 5th July 2017 at 13:59.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks Lee, I'll do the codes when I next pass my garage. Cheers James.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for your comments; what you say makes a lot of sense and on the back of my post yesterday, I had the battery checked thoroughly today and it is charging properly from the alternator and holding the charge without a problem and like yours sits at about 12.4, so I will check it again in a couple of days and see where it is. The non-working speedo is defeating me though, I'll have that checked out too. Otherwise, thank you very much for your help and advice.

Thread Information