Thread: Jon's New V70R

This user has no status

Thanks
    Live Log?
    PH > https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/profile.asp? I memberId=7660
    Vids > https://www.youtube.com/user/MaximumAttack575/videos

This user has no status

Thanks
    Run it round the block - feels alot better now maf cleaned, feels pretty strong.

The horrible hunting on the cold start cycle is gone and no ECM / Engine warning light.

As for using Vida - still utterly clueless. I get to the read vehicle bit and it does that, but what next to see anything of use? tried all the tabs with car running and just with key in position 2 and not running none of the tabs seem to have anything about showing live data. Obviously not watching Anthony when doing it at his.

Not bloody obvious...

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_2033.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  20.4 KB

Just give me a TR6 cylinder head to remove and I am happy......
    Last edited by jellison; Wednesday 4th October 2017 at 18:57.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htomi View Post
    That MAF reading is a bit low according to Contrast (Gustav).
    As said above it needs to be closer to 14kg/h. The last time - month ago when I had tested mine it was 13.9 - 14 kg/h - engine at operational temp, AC off, wheels straight.

I would recommend to continue live log MAF readings and boost levels and post results here.
    I've no idea what my MAF readings are as it's been a while since I checked them.
    When I get a spare 20 mins I'll plug in and have a butchers.

Jellison....Can you please sort out your picture issue before you post anymore! They are utterly useless mate as too small.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jellison View Post
    Run it round the block - feels alot better now maf cleaned, feels pretty strong.

The horrible hunting on the cold start cycle is gone and no ECM / Engine warning light.

As for using Vida - still utterly clueless. I get to the read vehicle bit and it does that, but what next to see anything of use? tried all the tabs with car running and just with key in position 2 and not running none of the tabs seem to have anything about showing live data. Obviously not watching Anthony when doing it at his.

Not bloody obvious...

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_2033.jpg
Size:  20.4 KB

Just give me a TR6 cylinder head to remove and I am happy......
    I would strongly advise that you don't plug VIDA into your car until you're proficient at using it. It would be vey easy to enable/disable something and not realise, then not have a clue how to revert back if it goes tit's up!

Take the laptop indoors and sit down with a cuppa and some biscuits and have a good play with it indoors, away from the car. Learn what each tab means and find out where stuff is in VIDA. Otherwise, it will feel like a total waste of money and you'll shy away from using it.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

htomi (Thursday 5th October 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Anthony, just pointed out that mine Vida is the 14 version and has different wording to 12 / 13 version and I should have clicked the Diagnostic tab (thought I had!). This presumably would do nothing not plugged into the car. Name:  Vida zoom.jpg
Size:  270.9 KB Must have been having an off day!

ANYWAY. Drove car for a proper distance to work today and ALOT better post MAF clean. More how I thought this car should have been when I bought it 3k ago (after a full "Volvo" service). Perkier, smoother, just better all round.
    Last edited by jellison; Thursday 5th October 2017 at 07:34.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    I would strongly advise that you don't plug VIDA into your car until you're proficient at using it. It would be vey easy to enable/disable something and not realise, then not have a clue how to revert back if it goes tit's up!

Take the laptop indoors and sit down with a cuppa and some biscuits and have a good play with it indoors, away from the car. Learn what each tab means and find out where stuff is in VIDA. Otherwise, it will feel like a total waste of money and you'll shy away from using it.
    +1

last post:
    http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...USERS-lt-Guide

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'll have a read of the Help / Diagnostic part of the doc as a start.

That bit can only be used when DICE attached to the car and pc though.
    Last edited by jellison; Thursday 5th October 2017 at 10:41.

This user has no status

Thanks

Smile

A month with no issues and the button gets pushed https://www.ipdusa.com/products/8814...2007-s60r-v70r
    Name:  Hovering.jpg
Size:  91.7 KB
    Last edited by jellison; Friday 6th October 2017 at 13:37.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That's a lot of dollar! Any particular reason for going with them Vs a significant saving on a custom made one? I might be able to contribute a little to the cause if you still have those solid top mounts in your drawer :-) Will PM you later this month.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Have heard quite a few people say they do drone and they are very loud. on sweedspeed.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I think it is a good price, can't see how a custom would be less, [spoken to the guy that has done me a few systems]. On current exchange ignoring import its the same as a Jetex off the shelf.

With import tax / duty it will only be a few 100 more than a Jetex. Quality looks to me on another level. Noise likely the resonator. The two pipes through the std setup and the Jetex type might be why quiter / less drone. If you are gonna have a remap and an expensive exhaust might as well hear it!

The 3 1/8" bore will really help with the remap (not going with the down-pipe for now) so should make up fro some of the lack of that. If to much can replace the resonator with a small round silencer (custom). Have this on TR6 (big box out back plus another to swap in and out as need be - straight through or small silencer of same length) for different race tracks with low db limits, most fine with the straight through but some like Zandvoort need to pop in the second small silencer (takes about a minute), really knocks the noise back.

Might change top mount, but think raising tickover from ~770ish to 870-900 I think will get it away from the real buzz zone.

Noise is not a bad thing (partly joking).

Last edited by jellison; Saturday 7th October 2017 at 19:48.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jellison For This Useful Post:

Harvey (Saturday 7th October 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I must admit I have considered this exhaust but I just get put off with import duty and if anything was wrong with it etc

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    That's a lot of dollar! Any particular reason for going with them Vs a significant saving on a custom made one? I might be able to contribute a little to the cause if you still have those solid top mounts in your drawer :-) Will PM you later this month.
    It actually works out the same price as my custom exhaust but only because it's on sale! At the full price of $895 it's a rip off, IMH.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Have heard quite a few people say they do drone and they are very loud. on sweedspeed.
    yeah, I'd agree with what Harvey said.

This user has no status

Thanks
    It is the actual price though that counts, they are mostly selling to US market. So prices are really pretty good.

Should be it till I order the exhaust. Hopefully that should get it to about 310. They seem to make pretty close to std from a few web checks (295) https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...-carpool/35169. So if a map add's 40 to that (pipe and map added ~65 to the T5), that will be plenty for me (do not want to push it).

Pulled in next to new GT3 this morning and the noise that made on startup, made me think, lets do this!

If too much easy to quiten down. The TVR back in 2005 cost almost as much as it was worth to convert (~13k no labour in there - not sure I'd do it again - though it is a very common mod for TVR's now).
    You never get that money back but ha serious fun! First LS one converted. It was way to loud (NASCAR!) when done so sleeved the centre box with more perforated pipes than straight.

Cam belt (never done from receipts!) and rear brakes (from the Brembo kit recommended) on Tues (was going to do myself but too much car stuff lately!), plus the adjustable handbrake thingy in place of the solid bar at same time.

Should be it till I order the exhaust. Hopefully that should get it to about 310.
    Last edited by jellison; Monday 9th October 2017 at 10:53.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jellison View Post
    It is the actual price though that counts, they are mostly selling to US market. So prices are really pretty good.
    So what is the actual price in GBP inc shipment? Cos I just had a look and tried their shipping calculator and it came out as between $4xx and $580 to the UK! That's the shipping price, NOT the total price!

Then you've got import tax to factor in too.

I think you're far better off researching decent exhaust builders in the rough area. There's quite literally no benefit I can see from going with the IPD system except the badge and the oval tubing (some tangible benefit but mostly novelty IMO). Prices obviously vary from place to place depending on the quality of workmanship, whether they buy the boxes in or make them in house, type of SS used, whether MIG or TIG, mandrel bent or crush bent etc. There's a guy local to me that was recommended by a member here who had a system done for his S60R, his company is Originial Fabrications (deliberate misspelling as his name is Nial) and he does custom systems and general fabrication all from scratch. Beautiful quality stuff. He quoted me, IIRC something like £500 for a 3" cat back with no resonator, just a back box, and twin slash cut pipes to look like R tailpipes.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    So what is the actual price in GBP inc shipment? Cos I just had a look and tried their shipping calculator and it came out as between $4xx and $580 to the UK! That's the shipping price, NOT the total price!

Then you've got import tax to factor in too.

I think you're far better off researching decent exhaust builders in the rough area. There's quite literally no benefit I can see from going with the IPD system except the badge and the oval tubing (some tangible benefit but mostly novelty IMO). Prices obviously vary from place to place depending on the quality of workmanship, whether they buy the boxes in or make them in house, type of SS used, whether MIG or TIG, mandrel bent or crush bent etc. There's a guy local to me that was recommended by a member here who had a system done for his S60R, his company is Originial Fabrications (deliberate misspelling as his name is Nial) and he does custom systems and general fabrication all from scratch. Beautiful quality stuff. He quoted me, IIRC something like £500 for a 3" cat back with no resonator, just a back box, and twin slash cut pipes to look like R tailpipes.
    I have to agree with Gold 'N' Brown here!

The import tax on that exhaust will be about £50-80. Could even be as much as £100 due to the weight and size of the box it comes in.

The best thing about cutom fabricators is they will build the exhaust to YOUR spec (within the build limitations of course) so you could have a REALLY nice, bespoke system that sounds like no other and totally unique to your car.

My custom exhaust is fully TIG welded and Mandrel bent with top grade SS and only cost £440!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've spent an unhealthy amount of time on Youtube listening to exhaust sounds. I was doing that again just a few weeks ago as I really do need to get mine replaced and need to decide what to go for.

When you've listened to a ton of them, you get a feel for how the sound varies depending on the various changes to the setup - i.e. whether 2.5" or 3" pipework, stock DP or 3" DP, stock cat Vs race cat Vs catless, no resonator and single back box, single back box and no resonator, no resonator and no back box etc.

Personally I think I'm going to go the obnoxious route to begin with, even if it's short term. 2.5" cat back with no res and no back box. It'll be loud and gruff but what the hell, you only live once. I'll add a resonator back in if it gets on my tits. I figure best to start out loud and make it quieter from there than start off too quiet. Main thing I don't like about these engines when you have no resonator is that you get the full force of the off beat thrum at idle that can sound a little 'agricultural', whereas this is dulled with a resonator giving a softer, warmer note but still a hint of that 5 pot thrum. It's swings and roundabouts though, idle sounds worse but once you give it the beans they sound even more badass without a resonator.

It's all a matter of preference though, and I'm still not 100% sure which way to go. That's why I think you should set aside a good hour for some Youtube research and see what you think sounds best to your ears.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    I've spent an unhealthy amount of time on Youtube listening to exhaust sounds. I was doing that again just a few weeks ago as I really do need to get mine replaced and need to decide what to go for.

When you've listened to a ton of them, you get a feel for how the sound varies depending on the various changes to the setup - i.e. whether 2.5" or 3" pipework, stock DP or 3" DP, stock cat Vs race cat Vs catless, no resonator and single back box, single back box and no resonator, no resonator and no back box etc.

Personally I think I'm going to go the obnoxious route to begin with, even if it's short term. 2.5" cat back with no res and no back box. It'll be loud and gruff but what the hell, you only live once. I'll add a resonator back in if it gets on my tits. I figure best to start out loud and make it quieter from there than start off too quiet. Main thing I don't like about these engines when you have no resonator is that you get the full force of the off beat thrum at idle that can sound a little 'agricultural', whereas this is dulled with a resonator giving a softer, warmer note but still a hint of that 5 pot thrum. It's swings and roundabouts though, idle sounds worse but once you give it the beans they sound even more badass without a resonator.

It's all a matter of preference though, and I'm still not 100% sure which way to go. That's why I think you should set aside a good hour for some Youtube research and see what you think sounds best to your ears.
    Listening to an exhaust on your PC speakers is not the same as hearing it in real life. Just how good/bad are your speakers for one thing?

I agree with you though, it's subjective and totally a matter of personal preference.

This user has no status

Thanks
    There are good European exhaust brands available like TME and Ferrita. I agree that they are a bit expensive also, but they do good products.
    When I was looking for an exhaust for my car, I decided to go with Ferrita because of no drone.

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I keep both Ferrita and TME exhausts in stock here in the UK.

Ferrita have now stopped making their S60R and V70R exhausts due to a very low demand.... I have just 2 V70R cat back left in stock and one d'pipe with 100 cel cat.

http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-...v70_-exhausts/

Don.
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

Thread Information