Join Today
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon's New V70R

This user has no status

Thanks
    ok , I was just going on car makers use small turbos normally so they get boost very low in the rpm but run out of air high in the rev range, then boost starts dropping, but only a small amount ,
    but T5 and R,s must have a good size,
    what boost do other people get on tuned R,s,
    about boost gauge , like I say get a cheap one plumb it in just for testing, Then remove it,
    when you have the car working well,

Boost leak , you say No leaks at the cooling side, Do you mean The Intercooler,
    Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davebb View Post
    ok , I was just going on car makers use small turbos normally so they get boost very low in the rpm but run out of air high in the rev range, then boost starts dropping, but only a small amount ,
    but T5 and R,s must have a good size,
    what boost do other people get on tuned R,s,
    about boost gauge , like I say get a cheap one plumb it in just for testing, Then remove it,
    when you have the car working well,

Boost leak , you say No leaks at the cooling side, Do you mean The Intercooler,
    Dave
    I was meaning no leaks visible on the coolant side of the engine (i.e. intercooler / rad and associated piping).

Lots of pipes in front the engine, with ££££ty or no clamps on. Generally if any of these off you / feel straight away with crap idle and an engine warning light (like when one fell off on way back from mappers few weeks back), engine light on, but found a line fallen off, reconnected and crap idle sorted, but had to get friendly mechanic to resent the engine light then fine again). I have looked at most of the easy to get to hoses in this front area of the engine and where no clamps (most of the hoses!), put a very small tie wrap on so can't come back off.

I think Lee said his car was mapped for about the same as mine 1.55 / 22-23ish, std is 1.1 bar (16psi). Good call on boost gauge just connected under bonnet somewhere temporary - I'll ask Anthony how this is plumbed.

Found this:-

https://novom.ru/en/watch/MK6V3G-yfh8

R engine is B5234T4 V70R AWD so base wastegate setting 1.8psi.

Sounds like mine could be set to Tight (i.e. boost ramps up fast but then is not sustained later in rev range) – but what does that mean to much psi before it moved or too little?

For performance add 1-2 psi on top of the base setting so 2.8 – 3.8psi.
    PH > https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/profile.asp? I memberId=7660
    Vids > https://www.youtube.com/user/MaximumAttack575/videos

This user has no status

Thanks
    If you adjust the wastegate it will afect the tune. Keep that in mind
    Before starting to work on the datalogging and tuning my car, my tuner asked me to unplug the TCV and do a pull in 3rd gear. The reading on the boost gauge should be between 6.5 and 7psi. If it was below, to tighten the wastegate, if it was above to loose it a bit. Please note that this is for a K24 turbo.

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

This user has no status

Thanks
    like I say you don't want it set to tight you need it set right, as the ecu controls the boost,

with old turbo cars you just set for max boost, but for ecu controlled cars you set it up to the correct pe-load setting then the ecu controls boost at all revs and load, that is how it can be remapped now days,
    have you got a mityvac pump gauge, or do you know anyone with one, you need this for testing and setting up the actuator, so if you have not got one , I would get one, and you can use this as your boost gauge for testing,

anyway let me know how you get on, if you fancy a trip to Emsworh , I will help you,
    and I do have a mityvac pump,

I am going to log my air/fuel ratio on my 2002 D5 today, I have a Innovate LM-2 Gauge ,
    as the 2002 D5 does not have a O2 sensor,
    Dave

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I wouldn't trust visually checking for leaks if there's a problem that might be down to a boost leak! Even a connection that looks good, with a good condition clip, cold still be opening up under boost. For very little cost you could get a garage to do a smoke test, which I believe is one of the most accurate ways to trace any leaks in the system. Even if it's not the cause of the problem, it's almost worth doing for the peace of mind that at least all the pipework is OK and holding boost.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks chaps. Next step is log it then see what we find.

The take from there. Not a fan of modern cars really, well in terms of working on them.

Ecu’s are the devils work.

See what we find and if get goo pointers give to some to try to fix those issues.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Spoke with Shem and sent him the power curve and what has been done to it. Custom Catback and shimmed head. So std bar the extra security of the head mod.

He said it is not that far from what he'd expect, i.e they do pretty much flat line in power after 5k! Er great. Kind of the opposite of my old T5, no where near the low down torque / power / and really only coming only boost and pulling through to 6k from about 4. Just different engines, even though they are very similar!!

So all this talk of putting on a catback and down pipe and a remap on an otherwise car and making 370+bhp is pretty much balls.

Sounds like to get there you first need a bigger intercooller and a 2nd remap for that to take the lower charge temps into account, then on top of that a bigger turbo to get more power and higher up (but maybe loose torque).

So gonna have mine fully checked over and get mapped for as good as it can be with what I have (think some of the lumpiness I have can be smoothered out and maybe a tad more power eeked. That will have to do (for now). It is awesome for towing with all that grunt from low 2's to about 4k (i.e. towing zone).

Got one of the toys to Mallory on Sunday and back and off for touring round France for a week next Monday.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Jon
    so you are going to get it mapped again ? is this by some one different ?
    Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    SHEMTEK, and a full engine check over on engine.

This user has no status

Thanks
    are shemtek tuning better then the one you have used, are you getting a refund from the last tuner,
    Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just reading all of his reviews , looks very good and honest gives very good reply's,
    let me know how the car is, shame he is so far away,
    Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    The tune is ok, so no. But just want it maxed out for what it is, and a though check over by a guy that all he does is these cars. Then just stick another 100k on it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi I hope that you get it all working well, it will be a big weight off your mind,
    I am shore he will get it sorted,
    Did you et your Vida working ?
    Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    Might even cave and get intercooler then at least the will be it. In two minds see what he says on logging it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have a DO88 intercooler in my D5, I go it before there price went up,
    but what was good it uses all of the same pipe work,
    some use a KLRacing intercooler on there T5 and R, and that is a good price
    Dave

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Get a price from Tim Williams for his intercooler fits like a stock one so no body cutting req.
    Even I noticed the difference within 1 mile afterwards

This user has no status

Thanks
    I might do that Harvey, but have been think on this some more and think I am going to have Shem do a full check over on the engine (as had the car for close to 18 months now), need mind clear that all that stuff is spot on, then have him remap for how it is now.

So much to spend hard earned on over next 6 months - too many hobbies ! So max out what I have then maybe pop and intercooler in.

Shem offers all these different maps depending on if std, std with catback, std with catback and downpipe and then all that with intercooler or any combo.

But from your experience are you saying you have a map on yous with an uprated exhaust, then when the better intercooler was slotted in by Tim you did not have it remapped again?

If so I can see the logic in that as the ecu is sensing the cooler temps from the intercooler outlet and then on the fly makes all the adjustments to allow for more boost, advance etc higher up the rev range and or where ever it is seeing lower air temps from?

So the car is most likely close to what one of these can with with the boost it has dialled in now (Shem saying my number seem fairly close given all the info I'd provided him with on what done to it), but the drivability / smoothness could really be improved even if no more (or maybe a bit more power). To make it clear the Southwestincartech map is very good (if not the smoothest in places).

But does seem these cars in std tune do not make the power claimed (Shem thinks std good one would be 285), But I personally doubt that (on mine I'd have guess 270). So a rise of 40bhp, but torque has been HUGE (not tested before on std tune and std exhaust but I'd guess 270ish ft/lbs to 345ft/lbs), and is the bit that you drive on most of the time 2.5k to 4.5k. So all this talk of a remap and a catback on an otherwise std car giving ~350bhp is Balls. More like 310bhp and 345ft/lbs.

Looks like R's way better on torque vs a T5, but not so great on power (in relative gains over std versions of each).

Lee - getting those Dunlops you mentioned in the tyre thread when back from my next few weeks travels. Remembered I had a set of Dunlops SP9000's on my Chevy Powered Chimeara at they were bloody great.

Dave - never got to Anthony's for trying to finally get my Vida working (maybe post Shemtek).

This user has no status

Thanks
    with the better intercooler , the car will not make higher boost, it just will not reduce the boost and timing as the temps will be cooler, cooler air temps makes air more dense/more air to burn, so no extra mapping needed for a better intercooler, but you can increase boost/timing/fuel as the is more air and it is cooler, as any extra boost increases air temps,
    in the ecu there is a map for turbo pressure to temp, so the car is happy,
    also there is less pressure loss with the higher flow intercooler (input and output of the intercooler)
    Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    My S60r is currently with Shem for a clutch, block shim, angle gear sleeve kit, new shocks and springs, stage 0 service, cambelt, do88 intercooler, flux fabrication 3inch cat back exhaust and a remap! Happy to report back when I get the car back if it helps you. I am in Hampshire so was a long trip, but he knows his stuff and seems a genuine bloke.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dibble34 View Post
    My S60r is currently with Shem for a clutch, block shim, angle gear sleeve kit, new shocks and springs, stage 0 service, cambelt, do88 intercooler, flux fabrication 3inch cat back exhaust and a remap! Happy to report back when I get the car back if it helps you. I am in Hampshire so was a long trip, but he knows his stuff and seems a genuine bloke.
    Hi were in Hampshire are you
    I am in Emsworth
    Dave
    Last edited by davebb; Thursday 11th October 2018 at 19:53.

Thread Information