Join Today
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon's New V70R

This user has no status

Thanks

Jon's New V70R

Hi Guys,

Just bought a 2 previous owner V70R (Silver with Tan leather). FSH, 88.7k miles.

Name:  No Plate.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  188.2 KB

Looks like the first owner had until a year ago up to 81k and then last one till 88.7k.

Few opinions before I get to the R.

I've had a few Volvo's in the past, 850T5 and a P2T5. 850 was IHO a better car that the later cars just because it was smaller. A std 850T5 has a much tighter car than the bigger lardier P2 shape cars, much of this just being weight. The P2T5 I still have (father had from new and I have run for 3+years), was always a disappointment over the 850T5 (both bought new), just bigger heavier and much more rolly poly. But you get used to it. Engine definitely better in P2 (pity chassis the other way). Anyway P2 was / is a mega tow car and damn fast in a straight line when required.

I did always hanker after winding the power up on P2 and did first with a Jetex SS system (small difference and bit better noise - nothing aggressive) and then with a custom remap by a company my father has used to have 4 vehicle done in the past (all with amazing results). With this done it was a bloody missile (faster than the R (more on that below) once out of wheelspining first). Pre map base power was 251 so 1nhp up on std (but then you have to think it never had a true 250 and the Jetex had gotten it to that start point (I/m guessing it had 10-11 up on std from the feel). Remap took it to 303. This was way to much for the std 16J rims and 215/55 tyres, so got a set of multi-spoke Borbet Volvo rims (not seen on many other Volvo), with new 235/17/45 Goodyear Eagle F1 (3's). These really help get the power down and just better over all grip. Was thinking about the suspension at this point but I kind of had grown used to the std soft setup (it is a massive barge not a race car), so left as is. But fantastic now (done a huge amount to it over and above normal stuff in last year or so; full clutch and mass flywheel change a few months back, 17" wheels and tyres, all new brakes and pads, alternator, PAS pump and more).

But then gradually feeling I'd like a newer much lower mile car (T5 is at 155k, but as I say one family from new so I know the history and have driven from day one) for the next 5+ years or so. Plus towing a race car abroad with a car over 15 years old you hit a brick wall with "get you home" assistance for the tow vehicle and the trailer and racer (unless pay way extra)! So starting looking about for a newer much lower mile V70R.

Anyway found this relatively low mile car and hope this can be good for a good long while.

First impressions:-
    1. So many gadgets! Seems to have everything bar satnav and subwoofer (even has those twin pop-up rear seats in the boot).
    2. Not sure yet on the fancy dampers (seems it has had 3 front in it life to this point). Hardest setting is just pointless (like having no damping at all - like and Audi and then some!). Comfort and Sport seem pretty good, but why not just get the compromise right between these for one fixed damper. May change opinion, but they cost a sh*tload and seem to not last that long, where as std dampers on my old T5 are the originals and seems the same (soft) now as they did when brand new.
    3. Not convinced by the AWD yet, OK it is great in low gears for traction and not destroying the tyres, but so much more complicated stuff in there (not just mechanical bits like a rear diff and driveshaft, but all the computerised crap to go wrong), once you are up and running what does it really offer apart from lugging and extra 100 odd kg about (that is Massive amount).
    4. Performance. This is totally standard car. This seems better in a straight line than the std P2T5 (but not by much once out of the low gears). In the low gears it is way quicker than the 2wd car, but once into say 3rd, no better (it is lugging that big extra weight about). I'd gues it has about 290bhp (just on feel of the engine vs the feel of the extra weight). 3rd gear and up I'd say the performance (pure straightline) falls some where between std T5 and mapped / pipped T5. You can feel it has a lot more to give (knowing how much the map and catback did for the T5), but just feels held back (again the weight). I'm thinking this is going to need 340+bhp to be on par with the old T5 from 3rd and up (but it is already better up to that point).
    5. The tow bar on it id bloody hideous. I have an expensive removable one that site under the back valance. One on it is non removable and have had rear valance cut to accommodate (that will need fixing when the other one takes its place). Will sell or bin the std one when the T5 is sold.
    6. Brakes, nothing special. You'd expect those fancy 4 pots all round to be better than they are. They are Ok, but not really any better than the all new stuff is giving me in the tweeked T5. There is a very slight judder from the front which I'll get looked at asap (only when car has been driven for 5-10 miles and warmed up - not noticed on test drive, but Volvo service papers did mention it as a recommended thing to be looking at).

These are the impressions after less than 2 fill ups so far.

Car for me is going to be a luxury barge that can when required really get up and go (and tow). For me way to big and lardy to through more than a catback and a remap at (rest will stay standard I'm thinking at this point). Have some other stuff went I want nibble and fast cars (I like old bet very muddied classic stuff - so easy to work on).

Fast stuff https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...?memberId=7660

I have been looking at LeeT5's thread (respect - but partly scared by the amount he show that can go wrong (great for him he can fix these modern things or has a much cheaper repair route than most) and will get to Harvey's soon. The level of knowledge the guys are bringing is mega and I hope to cherry pick certain bits they have done (but not get carried away).

Cheers
    Jon
    Jellison

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jellison For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 9th October 2018),LeeT5 (Tuesday 4th July 2017)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Hell of a writeup.
    It's nice to see a genuine back-to-back opinion of the two p2 cars. I've not really rated the R models due to the much higher running costs and weight (standard p2 is 1500-1600kg, R is around 1700kg, 850 is just over 1400kg). The awd has got to be a bonus but a fwd p2 with sorted suspension is quite the weapon. Good tyres are a must when running over 300bhp in the fwd p2, I discovered that after fitting the bigger turbo.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Hell of a writeup.
    It's nice to see a genuine back-to-back opinion of the two p2 cars. I've not really rated the R models due to the much higher running costs and weight (standard p2 is 1500-1600kg, R is around 1700kg, 850 is just over 1400kg). The awd has got to be a bonus but a fwd p2 with sorted suspension is quite the weapon. Good tyres are a must when running over 300bhp in the fwd p2, I discovered that after fitting the bigger turbo.
    Cheers M-R-P. I am a bit scared of all the extra complexity on the (does not need any of it in my opinion (if AWD should be just a diff, prop and driveshaft with simple box distribution the power front to back), then all these level sensors and the like (WTF). Just needed std good dampers a the mid Sport setting.

P2T5 is about 1650 and R AWD about 1750. 100kg is MASSIVE if you race or you hit the gym and lift a std "Olympic plate".

Agree on std 2wd big power P2. Mind T5 with much stiffer setup (Lowered Bilstein kit) that would be mega. R could be had as 2wd too (BTCC cars have about 340bhp now, but obviously state of the art suspension to get that 2wd power down).

I do like the 6 speed box. And engine very smooth and great at tickover pulling in gridlock traffic (no need for auto). When looking for T5 replacement main thing was space of the P2T5, no diesel or auto's (maybe when 70).

The jump in power when the catback and the remap was done on T5 was bloody fantastic (guessing at 60bhp as no base with std exhaust taken). If I can get the same kind of jump with this one it will get it where I think it needs to be. Then I will keep best bone stock (maybe the odd minor thing). Just going through what catback to get (no rush, will do when T5 sold or in Autumn). Seems a few off the shelf options (just the basic Jetex for the R (virtually the same as the T5 one), IPD (very tempted but about 750 landed and taxes paid, or a custom one (Zero exhaust in Kent), then off to same mapped (but only a 2 wheel rollers) so have to get it tested back in Surrey on 4x4 SRR for proper numbers.

No rush.

Plan to keep the mile off as much as I can on this one, keep for a long time and keep fingers X'd only all this overly complex electronic crap.

Thanks
    Carefull mapping and modding the R - they have a habit of splitting liners.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Will not be going crazy (mild tune and something like IPD nothing extreme). It just need waking up a bit. No rush and if and when it get done will be step by step, just something like the IPD or similar might be enough. Will defo not be chasing crazy power, I have this for mind bending power to weight (480/ton!).
    Name:  IMG_1416 - small.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  104.2 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jellison For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Thursday 29th June 2017)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Fantastic start to a thread, great read ! . Regards the awd it would be a good idea to get all the fluids changed angle gear , haldex coupling and filter and the rear diff. It's not on any volvo service schedule because volvo say it filled for life , not a chance . I change mine every 2 years for piece of mind as it's a lot cheaper than replacing the awd hardware.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by antonys60r View Post
    Fantastic start to a thread, great read ! . Regards the awd it would be a good idea to get all the fluids changed angle gear , haldex coupling and filter and the rear diff. It's not on any volvo service schedule because volvo say it filled for life , not a chance . I change mine every 2 years for piece of mind as it's a lot cheaper than replacing the awd hardware.
    Cheers Anthony. will add to list. Could you clarify, what all those bits are! I was thinking the Haldex was the diff (see what I mean about it seems overly complex) and will surely have some bits fail at some point.
    Angle gear?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You have the angle gear as volvo call it which is the transfer box. You have to pump the oil out and in to refill. Usually the splined sleeve from the gearbox fails mine did. Yours should be ok as it's a facelift model. Then there is the aoc active on demand coupling, the haldex which has a filter as well. Again pump the oil out and to refill. The pump has a mesh filter on it that you can remove and clean. You need to remove the exhaust and propshaft to remove the haldex pump. Lastly the rear diff again pump oil out and in to refill. I always use genuine volvo fluids for each. Lots of information on doing these jobs all over this forum and the internet.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Hi & welcome.
    Nice intro there. As said already give it a service on drive line first.

If I was starting on my car again the 2 things I would do first would be the front subframe inserts then the Ipd sway bars the difference they make is amazing the way it drives.
    Both things don't affect the comfort or noise of the car.
    looking forward to seeing what you do to it over time .

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Anthony - noted.

Harvey, what do these insert do?

You could spend a lot on the ipd site!

Any one on here gone for the IPD cat-back, weighing up this vs custom, or cheaper (but better than std as have on my T5) Jetex. IPD is one big bore pipe the whole way where as the Jetex is more like a std setup.

Took the better tow bar off the T5 yesterday - holy crap that thing is heavy (must be 40kg). Power weight even better on hat one now...
    PH > https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/profile.asp? I memberId=7660
    Vids > https://www.youtube.com/user/MaximumAttack575/videos

This user has no status

Thanks
    Got the car in to have the front brake judder looked at (on last service as advisory, but ignored - presume spent enough (quite a bit) pre-sale). Rippled and beyond a skim. Bin them.

Even though just the fronts, when I started adding up the price of 2x OEM disc (all been OEM up to this point from records), and OEM pad I did get a bit jittery, then remembered Lee's Brembo full brake swap recommendation. I figure the back will be needing doing at some point even if not done just now.

So get this kit, get fronts done and rears as and when or over winter for something to do....

** Can anyone recommend a high flow Air filter for the R. Had one of these in the T5 before mapped http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=2220 (doubt I'll ever get to use the cleaning stuff now). Is there something like this to upgrade flow for the cylindrical R type?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    To be honest stick to the original oem filter just remove the foam sock as it reduces induction noise. The oem filter and air box is good for up to 500bhp. Plus no chance of maf failure due to over oiling the cotton gauze on the performance filter. I have always used k&n filters on every car I've owned except this one.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Will do Anthony, thanks.

This user has no status

Thanks
    LeeT5 and myself are using the Jetex filter. No issues here. JTX-T80298
    https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/chea...tx-t80298.html

As Anthony said above, nothing wrong with the paper filter either. Mann p/n: C 12 003

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/e...r/C%2012%20003
    Last edited by htomi; Tuesday 4th July 2017 at 11:34.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

17. The Following User Says Thank You to htomi For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Tuesday 4th July 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Is the Jetex one of the one that can be cleaned with that spray or just another disposable type? Will only get when I put catback and map on it. Will get by with OK performance till then.

Thanks
    Air filters go in the dishwasher just fine

(apart from paper filters. Don't out paper in the dishwasher)

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jellison View Post
    Is the Jetex one of the one that can be cleaned with that spray or just another disposable type? Will only get when I put catback and map on it. Will get by with OK performance till then.
    Yes, it can be cleaned and re-oiled.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Its a bit like a K+N, so you clean it and refit.
    However, I've noticed that after about the 3rd clean (30K) it's starting to get a little ropey. So, I'll be buying a new one for the next service.
    Just don't oil it!! ....wash, rinse then air dry for 24hrs before refitting. I always remove and clean the MAF at the same time, using MAF cleaner.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Lee, did I here you track your R? Brands (if you are in Kent?).

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Lee, did I here you track your R? Brands (if you are in Kent?).
    I've never tracked my car.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information