2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

Harvey (Tuesday 13th February 2018)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    TME do a sport cat back which you will never get to it's limit no matter what you do to the engine.
    It's what i have on mine sounds nice but with the down pipe they do different ball game
    Text from there site.
    The modified S60R - V70R exhaust used by MTE and dynotested to 700 hp is now available. It makes a harder, but not much louder sound compared to our EU/TÜV-certified version. Back pressure is similar to our standard system if used with original turbocharger. Ground clearance is slightly better by 10-15 mm (1/2") It's available for all previous generation 2WD or AWD versions of S60-V70-S80 with either twin 70 mm or single 80 mm tailpipe. 

When you see the stock exhaust next to the 3 diffrent manufacturers that make them for the S60R or V70R they all have the twin pipes like the stock cat back .
    Sorry ipd exhaust excluded .
    Why are you not keen for the twin pipes setup ?
    Iirc when in Gothenburg they said that the development s60r had a TME exhaust and was more powerful around 350-360 then the cost cutting accountants had there way and needed up at 300bhp.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

Harvey (Tuesday 13th February 2018)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Exhaust Friday and now decided to get map on following sat, then will have pics and a vid.🤗😎😜
    PH > https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/profile.asp? I memberId=7660
    Vids > https://www.youtube.com/user/MaximumAttack575/videos

This user has no status

Thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    Here we go.

Long day, but worth it. As above I decided I fancied the 3" version of what Lee had. Same bar the flattening of the mid part of the long pipe between the front box and the rear one (in front of and below the diff as per the IPD system).

Once all done bar the last foot or so we mocked up tail pipes in 2.5 or 3" (std is 2.5"). They only do 2, 2.25 or 3. Decided to go with the twin 3" jobs. Off the car 2 slash cut 3" pipes looks bloody big, but when in the hole and fitted snug they look pretty much stock if you did not know an R Volvo really well.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 0
Size:  1.47 MB
    Name:  2.JPG
Size:  1.08 MB
    Name:  3.JPG
Size:  1,017.0 KB
    Name:  4.JPG
Size:  989.5 KB
    Name:  5.JPG
Size:  974.3 KB
    Name:  6.JPG
Size:  1.10 MB
    Name:  7.JPG
Size:  1.54 MB
    Name:  8.JPG
Size:  482.8 KB

Sounds damn good and I'm sure it will be even better with some more boost dialled in (Next Saturday). Short Vid maybe tomorrow.

Feels like it has definately more go, but still needs a darn site more to pull the big barge down the road how I want it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jellison For This Useful Post:

Harvey (Saturday 17th February 2018),LeeT5 (Saturday 17th February 2018),MoleT-5R (Saturday 17th February 2018)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    looks lovely, I look forward to the tunnel vids and the noise....

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jellison View Post

Name:  3.JPG
Size:  1,017.0 KB
    Now all you gotta do is replace the 3 missing bolts and 2 plate brackets to stop that heatshield from rattling around.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yep, will do when it get the fluids changed over next few weeks. Removed the rear one, as box not even close to any of it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    The extra boost will make it sound better

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

This user has no status

Thanks

Red face

Defo. Already bloody great though. More pops on overrun with boost.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric@rdo View Post
    The extra boost will make it sound better
    Will also split your OE intercooler, that I can guarantee as well as unearth other boost leaks you never knew you had!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Lee. Between myself and father we have had 6 cars (2 motorhomes) mapped and never had a boost related issue (over the last 10 years or so). The boost increases we are talking about (to gain 40 - 60bhp) are well within the confines of most modern cars Turbo / Intercooler system.

The place I use (http://www.southwestincartech.co.uk/.../bmw_index.htm) do pretty well any modern Turbo Petrol / Diesel car you can imagine (see the list). If those cars all needed bigger intercoolers post a remap they would not be in business, as not many would stump up for the extra expense the big intercooler and fitting.

I have clarified this with the above plus Don at Kalmar and Tim W. The bigger intercooler is are aimed more at the much higher boost levels and / or when cars get run for very long periods flat chat (i.e. on a trackday (last place I'd take a 1.7 ton estate)), where the system is under load for very longer periods (20min session under full noise). If I was aiming for 450bhp then a big Turbo and intercooler would be on the list, but not for jumping from 295 to 340/60 (maybe 370+ with a downpipe).

Maybe you are running a lot more boost?!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Update.

Got to Mappers sat morning, plugged in and found all fine bar the bloody front lambda sensor not working! Same thing happened when I had the T5 down there. He said best not do it one of these. Ordered the Sensor and will get it fitted this Saturday along with a huge list of other bits I was getting done anyway. Not the worse thing in the world as I had lots of other stuff to do (race car stuff) down that way before off home.

Mapper said (he does alot of these) the Lambda's on these pretty well go every 60-80k miles....

Getting done Saturday:-

1. Install new Lambda.
    2. Track down and fix a minor oil leak (looks like round filter area, have a new Filter / cover plus 2x Turbo return line gaskets, most likely one of these).
    3. Replace gearbox oil.
    4. Replace Angle Gear oil.
    5. Replace Active Demand Coupling oil.
    6. Replace rear diff oil.
    7. Replace Haldex filter.
    8. Replace fuel filter supplied.
    9. Replace air filter.

Then book it in again for mapping over next 2-3 weeks (down that way for putting my V8 back in TVR once rebuilt), get it done then most likely.

On the exhaust, thought I might have gone a bit far with the 3" system, but the more its driven the more used to it I get. A tad droney at low-mid 80's (kmh), but spot on over 90 and below 75. I'm sure the noise will change a bit once mapped though.

Costing a darn site more to run or at least get absolutely spot on vs the T5! Hopefully once above done I can relax and enjoy it as I have at least gotten all the issues (post purchase) / best to do things done.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Update.

Got to Mappers sat morning, plugged in and found all fine bar the bloody front lambda sensor not working! Same thing happened when I had the T5 down there. He said best not do it one of these. Ordered the Sensor and will get it fitted this Saturday along with a huge list of other bits I was getting done anyway. Not the worse thing in the world as I had lots of other stuff to do (race car stuff) down that way before off home.

Mapper said (he does alot of these) the Lambda's on these pretty well go every 60-80k miles....

1. Install new Lambda.
    2. Track down and fix a minor oil leak (looks like round filter area, have a new Filter / cover plus 2x Turbo return line gaskets, most likely one of these).
    3. Replace gearbox oil.
    9. Replace air filter.

Then book it in again for mapping over next 2-3 weeks (down that way for putting my V8 back in TVR once rebuilt), get it done then most likely.

On the exhaust, thought I might have gone a bit far with the 3" system, but the more its driven the more used to it I get. A tad droney at low-mid 80's (kmh), but spot on over 90 and below 75. I'm sure the noise will change a bit once mapped though.

Costing a darn site more to run or at least get absolutely spot on vs the T5! Hopefully once above done I can relax and enjoy it as I have at least gotten all the issues (post purchase) / best to do things done.
    I hate to tell you there's always something the 'R' wants

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yep starting to get that.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Update.

1. Install new Lambda.
    3. Replace gearbox oil.
    9. Replace air filter.

Hi I bet it will be well worth the wait when all done,
    can they keep the car in two wheel drive so it can be tuned on the dyno,
    Dave

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davebb View Post
    Hi I bet it will be well worth the wait when all done,
    can they keep the car in two wheel drive so it can be tuned on the dyno,
    Dave
    To correctly map/tune a V70R/S60R you need a 4WD Dyno machine.
    Disconnecting the AWD and mapping, then reconnecting once mapped, would just cause the car to not behave how your mapping it to behave due to the extra load forces put on the car when the AWD is functioning correctly.

You would not be doing yourself any favours by disabling the AWD to run a tune on a 2WD dyno.

This user has no status

Thanks
    There are good tuners out there that tune our cars by data logging on the road.
    Mine was tuned this way. Much better in my opinion.

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ric@rdo For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Friday 2nd March 2018)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Guy we use has done lots of these.

Update post having all the above done:-

1. Install new Lambda.
    2. Track down and fix a minor oil leak (looks like round filter area, have a new Filter / cover plus 2x Turbo return line
    gaskets, most likely one of these).
    3. Replace gearbox oil.
    9. Replace air filter.
    10. Adjust handbrake
    11. Pull pads from rear drivers disc as a score in there (bit of metal crap had gotten in there).

It is a totally different car now. Only driven back from mechanics (maybe 4 miles), but christ it is such a difference.

The non-working Lambda, must have been causing it to have really wound the ECU back to properly safe settings, as I had almost started another thread on how disappointed I was with what I thought was a FSH and then some minor fixes sorted by me, car thinking that is how it should be. When like that I was going to say how flat I felt it was vs the mapped T5 (just talking the power here not the rest). Was going to say how crap I thought it was pulling 170kg more than a T5 around and that was really killing the performance (still not convinced by this 4x4 stuff being needed with modern tyres - WTCC cars are mostly FWD with 380bhp). And this is with 200cc more double VVT and bigger turbo!

But anyway, I did think the low end and mid range was good (not amazing but a good step on the mapped T5), but that the top end was basically RUBBISH mush past 5. It really revs out now and feels like it has a stack more power everywhere, but best is it now has a top end!

Doubt I'll drive it much till I get it mapped next friday, more then. Have gotten used to the exhaust now - Bloody hell that thing is awesome (but will be way better with bit more boost).
    Last edited by jellison; Thursday 8th March 2018 at 09:01.

This user has no status

Thanks
    My second point (largely around the above findings) is why would you every use a Volvo main dealer, when there is Vida and good local mechanic you trust (all they do is plug Vida in and order the duff part, not much skill as far as properly diagnosing anything)!

My point being this car has likely been running with a stuffed front Lambda for ages (it has not really changed since buying it - it did improve slightly with a clean of the MAF and the RS plugs at TW's, but nothing significant), the car had just had a Volvo service, guy who had it for a year before me probably just thought (like me) that is how they are! Main dealer service just like thought well earned money to the wind to pay for large premise and huge staff to sell new cars and have huge service dept with well paid staff.

Just my take anyway. Only time I used them was to try to diagnose the stuffed (limp mode on T5 before given away), useless.

Back to getting the racers fixed now.....
    Last edited by jellison; Thursday 8th March 2018 at 10:49.

Thread Information