I've been thinking of changing up the wheels, the tethys are in need of a refurb and for not much more i can get new wheels that haven't been abused by all the pot holes of the south of England.

I was keen on sticking with 17's as it seems the best compromise between comfort and "style", plus i can reuse my eagle f1's which have plenty of life left.

The wheels to catch my eye are 17x9 et40, after checking out the usual calculators they'll sit 10.1mm closer on the inside and 28.1mm further out. However that is the rim not the tyre, the tyre will obviously settle between the two just to make it easier.

I'm curious what other people's setups are and experiences of rubbing with spacers, wider wheels etc? I know a few run 18's without spacers which sit 6.3mm inward over my tethys, and I'm hoping there is 3.8mm spare for a bit more rim on the inside, also, I know others have popped 12mm spacers on their 18's which gives 18.3mm of poke, and i was wondering if there was room for 9.8mm more rim or was rubbing already near the limit?

I know its not all so simple as tyres will affect things and be the first to rub, and that 18" tyres are approx 11mm taller when using 235/40/18 which mixes things up a bit, but I'd really appreciate hearing from you guys.

Many thanks,