Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Is this PCV related?

Since I've had the turbo fitted. I've had enough but problems... With oil everywhere and white/blue smoke.

I've been told it's not the turbo. But the car was running perfectly fine before getting turbo fitted.

I don't get any smoke at startup. It seems I only get white/blue smoke when changing gear while in boost and decelerating. It is abit random as sometimes it doesn't do it.

Here is a little video i did.

It's been about a month since I've done an oil change, filter etc... The weekend that has just gone, I took the cam cover off and there was oil everywhere. I checked spark plugs and there isn't any oil which is good! I can't see any split around the PCV breather hose... Oil cap seal probably could do with replacing.

There was oil in intercooler pipe and around top of turbo...

I cleaned it all the up over weekend. I went for a drive (maybe 60mile trip) I was driving normal at 60mph (cruise control) and the low oil warning message appeared. I had some oil in boot so i topped up. The fact that it's not been long since I've done an oil change.

Anyway I was driving today and decided just to check the engine. There was oil everywhere!

The car seems to be driving fine and boosting ok but I just keep getting oil and smoke... I just want to get the bottom of it so i can get the car re-tuned!

I have ordered PCV parts but waiting on new style bonjo bolt but according to Skandix there waiting on there supplier which would be a few months

Would you say this is an PCV issue and would it matter if i don't replace bonjo bolts (give them a good clean.)?

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have also done a glove test on dipstick and oil cap.

Good or bad?

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    You don't seem to have excessive pressure, so that would indicate your PCV is working correctly.

The oil spread over the top of the engine makes it look like the oil filler cap gasket is totally shot & oil is just blowing past it onto the top of the head. Change that if you haven't already.

My money would be on a faulty turbo as the cause of your smoking issue. Why did you replace it? Who replaced it & what are their reasons for thinking it's not a fault for the smoking on boost & overrun? Try to avoid driving the car if possible - loosing lots of oil is always a good indication of impending doom. Hopefully you can get it sorted.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply mate.

Ok I have replaced the seal on oil cap, it's now a tight seal...

I'm no mechanic but I know my car and I'm certain the issue is the turbo as I said before the car was working perfectly fine. So my money is on faulty turbo.

I don't want to name drop people as I don't want to cause drama but i will say he knows his volvos and is a pro! But I'm struggling for him to have a look at my car. He's convinced the issue is not turbo and could be piston rings, pcv (engine related)...

I brought the turbo from him as it had a billet wheel. I didn't want my daily car undriveable while getting the billet wheel installed on original turbo.

Now to prove a point i want to put the original turbo back on, to see if she's still smoking... Issue installing the turbo myself is I couldn't get to one of the manifold bolts to remove turbo from top. Where as the garage removed from bottom, I.E removing angle gear, driveshaft etc... I've heard that you can remove turbo from top but i'm not sure how people are getting to bolts on manifold?

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    Must admit rings were my first thought.
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinking2020 View Post
    Since I've had the turbo fitted. I've had enough but problems... With oil everywhere and white/blue smoke.

I've been told it's not the turbo. But the car was running perfectly fine before getting turbo fitted.

I don't get any smoke at startup. It seems I only get white/blue smoke when changing gear while in boost and decelerating. It is abit random as sometimes it doesn't do it.

I cleaned it all the up over weekend. I went for a drive (maybe 60mile trip) I was driving normal at 60mph (cruise control) and the low oil warning message appeared. I had some oil in boot so i topped up. The fact that it's not been long since I've done an oil change.

The car seems to be driving fine and boosting ok but I just keep getting oil and smoke... I just want to get the bottom of it so i can get the car re-tuned!

I have ordered PCV parts but waiting on new style bonjo bolt but according to Skandix there waiting on there supplier which would be a few months

Would you say this is an PCV issue and would it matter if i don't replace bonjo bolts (give them a good clean.)?

Bottom line is, you said it yourself, car was running fine before the turbo was fitted! You're also consuming way too much oil.

Possible causes of excessive oil consumption are:

1. Turbo seals
    2. PCV blocked
    3. Rear main seal leaking (normally caused by blocked PCV)
    4. Obvious oil leak
    5. Worn piston rings.

Could it be that you gave the car a good thrashing just after the turbo was fitted and have caused a problem elsewhere?? You need to be honest with yourself with that question!

If not, then I agree with Shinsplintz......Do not drive the car other than to the garage. It will need more investigation or you risk major damage.

Regards the Banjo bolts, just buy them from Lipscomb in Ashford or Canterbury and get a new OTE pipe clamp while you're there, yours is really badly chewed up!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

looking to get MTE Map
    Thanks
    Strange as that is same sinario I had with my P2 V70 T5 turbo went so I had it replaced with brand new turbo, shortly after I was getting the same puffs of blue smoke on gear changes and on overrun, although I didn't have oil all over the engine bay, I did glove test also which seemed to indicate PCV was ok.
    Garage told me it was either worn rings or valve stem oil seals. After getting quotes of 2 to 2.5 K for an engine rebuild I decided to scrap the ex plod as it had 283k miles on it.
    Ex Police V70 T5 SE now scrapped.
    Daily driver V60 D3 R-design

2004 C70 2.4T GT, modifications front strut brace, 19" Peg reps with white lettered tires.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Would it be worth doing a compression test ? See what the readings are, they should be 150 to 180 psi on a warm engine. If there low try a drop of oil in the cylinder and test again and see if the readings rise. Maybe worth a try ?

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post

My money would be on a faulty turbo as the cause of your smoking issue. Why did you replace it? Who replaced it & what are their reasons for thinking it's not a fault for the smoking .........
    For fear of repeating myself....
    but think it's an important question & may shed light on the reasons for the excessive oil loss. If you already had smoke prior to changing the Turbo then you may well have had failing rings or valve stem seals & the Turbo took the blame. So you may have replaced a perfectly good turbo? Or not. Think the compression test mentioned above is a good idea to narrow down the culprit.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have removed intake pipe. There's no play in shaft and seems to be alot of oil in intake. Plus looks like gunk stuff from oil catch can.

So this could be PCV clogged up? If there's no play in shaft then the turbo should be ok?

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I guess if the oil fire trap to block or drain to sump is restricted or blocked it will cause the oil level to get high and go somewhere else.
    It's worth a good look on the fire trap to make sure all the hoses are good , if one was split it could open up under pressure.

This was the oil drain on my old S60R fire trap..

You could just remove the pvc hose to the turbo inlet hose to see if the smoking stops when you go for a drive.
    Last edited by Harvey; Saturday 10th June 2017 at 16:30.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Sounds like a knackered turbo to me.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Kevin, what's your mileage and have you replaced the PCV?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Kevin, what's your mileage and have you replaced the PCV?
    I'm on 113,000 miles Lee. PCV hasn't been replaced. I tried to do it this weekend but struggled getting inlet manifold off. I couldn't get to bolt near thermostat. I also couldn't get thermostat off unless taking the power steering pump off.... I don't really fancy doing that.

I've got all parts to do PCV now. I went to canterbury Volvo on Friday to get the newer style bonjo bolts and also breather hose, as I got the smaller version and needed bigger version. Not a cheap hose (spent over £70 just for a hose and bonjo bolts...)

I might give it another go but this time remove the radiator and FMIC, to see if i can get to bolt... If not i'll take it to a garage.

I have also removed my oil catch can and also noticed near the PTC valve, there was a crink in hose going to catch can, could this of affected pressure(flow) in PCV? Since I've removed catch can, I've not noticed any smoke but i need to go for a longer drive and maybe get another video! But not puff of smoke like it did.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Yes it would pressurised the crankcase and stop the turbo oil drain working as it should due to the pressure. With a kink in the hose.

At tickover you have a vacuum at the manifold, but at boost you don't that why you need the PTC unit.
    Last edited by Harvey; Sunday 11th June 2017 at 21:09.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    At 113k your PCV is well overdue.

You can easily access the manifold bolt by removing the thermostat housing.

If you want my advice make sure you replace every single pipe on the PCV system.
    Change the thermostat housing and stat, which will include the temp sensor.
    You'll need to unbolt the P/S pump to access thermostat housing bolts.

It's easy once you get them out the way.
    An absolute doddle with the Rad fan housing lifted out too! Also make sure you remove and clean the ETM.
    You'll need to reset adaptions once complete and I guarantee you'll notice a dramatic difference in idle note and driving.

Do not scrimp on the PCV like many do and you'll get big rewards. Do it properly and take your time.

This user has no status

Thanks
    PCV has been checked today. Nothing clogged all clean but still replaced oil trap, breather hoses and bonjo bolt etc...

Car is still blue smoking.

Turbo has been checked and nothing wrong with turbo.

Issue is piston rings...

Compression test:

cylinder 1 - 120

cylinder 2 - 120

cylinder 3 - 150

cylinder 4 - 120

cylinder 5 - 135

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Are those readings on a warm engine ?
    If you pour a little oil down each plug hole and test again if the readings rise then it is piston rings

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinking2020 View Post
    PCV has been checked today. Nothing clogged all clean but still replaced oil trap, breather hoses and bonjo bolt etc...

Car is still blue smoking.

Turbo has been checked and nothing wrong with turbo.

Issue is piston rings...

Compression test:

cylinder 1 - 120

cylinder 2 - 120

cylinder 3 - 150

cylinder 4 - 120

cylinder 5 - 135
    So how did you check the PCV hose?

How long have you owned the car Kevin and do you have history invoice of your PCV pipe being replaced in the last 50k? If not and it hasn't, then I doubt the PCV is clear.
    There is no way your PCV pipe will not have any hard oil residue and carbon deposits inside it after 113k.
    Just replacing the oil trap is not going to resolve a PCV issue, regardless of worn rings.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Wednesday 21st June 2017 at 08:08.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    So how did you check the PCV hose? Did you physically remove it and blow down each tube?
    Yeah the garage removed it all. None of the hoses where clogged, actually in good shape. They shine touch with mirror down the channel to check and all clear. I watched them do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information