Join Today

Thread: xc70 gerbox

This user has no status

Thanks

xc70 gerbox

Hi new to the club my name is steve and live in wolverhampton
    SORRY if i am in the wrong place
    i have a xc70 petrol auto it has a gearbox
    I have no reverse but reverse lights are working but drives forward in reverse
    Also drives forward in all the other shifter positions
    Will engage neutral when engine off but will not start but with car running drives forward in neutral ???
    I have replaced the pnp switch not a new one i might add
    Sorry for a long 1st thread

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi steve
    you need to check the gear cable is correctly adjusted when the lever is in park make sure the arm on the gearbox is fully in park position (end of its travel) the clue is it wont start in neutral assuming the pnp switch is ok it must be adjustment on the cable
    hope this helps cheers jim

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks jim i will check that later and let you no

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimperry View Post
    Hi steve
    you need to check the gear cable is correctly adjusted when the lever is in park make sure the arm on the gearbox is fully in park position (end of its travel) the clue is it wont start in neutral assuming the pnp switch is ok it must be adjustment on the cable
    hope this helps cheers jim

Totally agree! The car should only start in Neutral and Park. Your symptoms would suggest the gear selector in the gearbox is not matching that of the gear selector inside the cabin.
    Either the gear cable has broken/disconnected or it needs adjusting.
    Note: Gear cables generally don't need adjustment as they are so thick they don't stretch. Of course, the previous owner could have not refitted it correctly.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the help guys i no its early but I have had a look i checked the cable and it seemed correct so I have disconnected the cable and worked the lever manually on the gearbox still doing the same so probably the box is foo bard thanks again for the info

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi guys dont no what is going on it dont move when in park no which it shouldnt but will only rev to about 2500 rpm
    Will now not drive forward in reverse it did before
    Drives foreward in neutral
    And as it should drives in drive
    I realey hope the box isnt gone as i am not going to pay over a grand or more for one
    I have heard that the 55/50 SN is fitted to a few cars and they are coming up a lot cheaper so what could the differance be apart from i suppose the transfer box and torque converter any thoughts at all thanks steve

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by and View Post
    Hi guys dont no what is going on it dont move when in park no which it shouldnt but will only rev to about 2500 rpm
    Will now not drive forward in reverse it did before
    Drives foreward in neutral
    And as it should drives in drive
    I realey hope the box isnt gone as i am not going to pay over a grand or more for one
    I have heard that the 55/50 SN is fitted to a few cars and they are coming up a lot cheaper so what could the differance be apart from i suppose the transfer box and torque converter any thoughts at all thanks steve
    Any fault codes in the TCM?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ionly have an OB11 reader will that do it thanks

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Has anyone filled the box with oil recently and if they did how was it done ??, as there were past problems caused when people topped up there boxes by what they thought was an oil filler plug, but it was a bolt that located the selectors and when removed knackered the box and could not be fixed without a full stripdown...from what I remember

I do know for sure that the auto ecu will limit engine revs in park and neutral, 2500 sounds a bit low though, as I though it was limited to 4000, but that may change across the years and models
    Last edited by MoleT-5R; Thursday 1st June 2017 at 11:32. Reason: addition

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi i have just fitted another pnp switch and still doing the same looks like another g/box or strip down or scap it I don't no any other ideas thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi i have drained the oil out of the gear box and I expected to see a fair bit of swarf and debris but nothing only brown fairly strong smelling oil could any of the solenoids be bad because of bad oil any thoughts thanks

Thread Information