Join Today
    New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts

850 Alarm Issue (Guard Alarm II)

Got an issue with the alarm on my 850.

The central locking works using the fob and indicators flash as normal. Upon turning the ignition on the alarm siren will sound but intermittently (like a contact is loose and making an intermittent connection). Will also continue doing this when the engine is started. The siren doesn't sound when ignition off or on stage 1.

The battery is low and I've changed it for another one which is a bit low but I've had low batteries before and the alarm has never done this.

Any ideas?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    I seem to remember something similar happening a while ago when I had a low battery on Olive, I give it a good charge and used the fob to unlock and lock with the battery back on and all was well. Good luck with your issue Dave.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Got an issue with the alarm on my 850.

The central locking works using the fob and indicators flash as normal. Upon turning the ignition on the alarm siren will sound but intermittently (like a contact is loose and making an intermittent connection). Will also continue doing this when the engine is started. The siren doesn't sound when ignition off or on stage 1.

The battery is low and I've changed it for another one which is a bit low but I've had low batteries before and the alarm has never done this.

Any ideas?
    Which batteries are you talking about? The Car battery or the key fob batteries?

Assuming you mean Car battery, I'd replace the key fob batteries with new ones, just to ensure the keyfob is working correctly. Then fully charge the car battery.
    A vehicle battery is considered 'flat' if voltage falls below 12.2v and must be charged.

Does your 850 have a alarm siren with it's own power source, i.e aother smaller battery attached to the siren? Much like the P2 cars have?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    I seem to remember something similar happening a while ago when I had a low battery on Olive, I give it a good charge and used the fob to unlock and lock with the battery back on and all was well. Good luck with your issue Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Which batteries are you talking about? The Car battery or the key fob batteries?

Assuming you mean Car battery, I'd replace the key fob batteries with new ones, just to ensure the keyfob is working correctly. Then fully charge the car battery.
    A vehicle battery is considered 'flat' if voltage falls below 12.2v and must be charged.

Does your 850 have a alarm siren with it's own power source, i.e aother smaller battery attached to the siren? Much like the P2 cars have?
    Yup the car battery. Have it on charge now.

It was a new battery but the alternator failed. The first I knew though was when all the dash lights started flashing randomly. Don't think they'll replace it for me under warranty if the alternator failed so I'll have to get a new one.

I know it's obvious it could be the battery but with the age of the car you never know whether it could be something else electronic which is why I wondered if anyone else had had the same issue.

Cheers for the replies guys, we'll see if a charge cures it (until I get a new battery).
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    hi ihad the same problem and looked and did every thing i could eventaly took it to agents and they told me it was old and had to replace with a new alarm cost R18000.00 south african money (bloody madness) so removed the relays and fitted loop wire so no alarm any more but central locking still works and they are old cars not worth spend that much money on it

Thread Information