Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Blown head gasket v70 estate

Hi all,
    I've recently blown my head gasket on myr reg v70 and was wondering what I'm better off doing?
    Do I get a new reconditioned engine fitted, or replace the head gasket, and how much am I looking at?

Thanks in advance

This user has no status

Thanks
    Depends on the state of the original engine, was it badly cooked? Did it lose all the coolent?
    Also what mileage was on the old engine?
    It would probably be worth striping the head off, and having it checked.
    A new engine would be nice , but only if properly built, not thrown together and will not be cheep.
    You could try a second hand one if cheep enough, and are willing to take a chance. Much better if you see it in its original car first to see why it was scrapped.

Roger.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Roger,
    It's done 145,00 and I don't think it was badly cooked, no coolant came out, just a lot of burning oil, and a milky dipstick.
    Is stripping the head a long process?

And once stripped of its not too bad do I just get a new head?

Cheers

Jake

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Taking the head off is not too bad a job if you're used to getting stuck in. Haynes do a guide for it.

You'll need new head bolts and a head gasket kit, which can be expensive if you want genuine parts (otherwise around £100 if you get pattern parts). And get the head skimmed.

Are you sure the gasket has blown? If you have the oil cooler in the radiator they can fail and mix oil/coolant.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've had a good mechanic look at it, and he and the AA suspect it's a cracked head gasket,
    What are recognised symptoms?

New Identity
    Thanks
    If you have two opinions the same then maybe that is the diagnosis. The other way to tell is get a compression test and/or a sniff test done.

What engine is it?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

This user has no status

Thanks
    It's a 2.3 turbo

This user has no status

Thanks
    When you say sniff test are you talking about unburnt fuel?

New Identity
    Thanks
    A sniff test detects hydrocarbons in the cooling system thus indicating an issue with the head gasket

Thread Information