Join Today

Hybrid View

Bored it now need to build
    it...
    Thanks

Painting brake calipers

Spent the last couple of days prepping and painting my front calipers and thought I'd share the process on here, I'm sure there are loads of these threads but may be useful to someone

Starting to look dirty and some rust showing through. Unsurprised really as this was literally sprayed on in situs with Halfords paint but it's lasted well

Name:  IMG_4734.JPG
Views: 0
Size:  104.1 KB

All about the prep it seems which is what takes the time. I used a mixture of a wire brush initially and staley blade (blunt) to brush and scrape the worst of the crap and old paint off. Fortunately I had already done my calipers before so this wasn't too bad but still took a long time to do

Half the old silver removed
    Name:  IMG_4735.JPG
Size:  166.1 KB

Rest of caliper stripped
    Name:  IMG_4736.JPG
Size:  153.9 KB

Unfortunately my caliper carriers were once painted in a really tough red paint which was almost impossibly to remove but most came away especially with the scraper.

After this i used a medium grade wet and dry over the caliper then a wire wheel attachment for my cordless drill which did a great job of shifting the last bits and shining them up, then a good spray over with brake cleaner.

Paint was a tough choice. Initially I fancied yellow but decided in the end that I couldn't handle the extra 5hp per wheel so decided on mixing metallic silver and black to make a sort of gun metal/Anthracite colour.

Paint was hammerite straight to rust smooth. Lots of controversy on this but seems a lot of people not tracking their cars had good outcomes with the hammerite so fingers crossed.

Paint was nice and thick unlike the yellow caliper paint so brushed on easily and only needed 1 coat really although I did 2 to be safe

Name:  IMG_4737.JPG
Size:  148.5 KB

Looks a bit better in real life on a dry day

If I was to do this again though, All in all after the effort this took to do properly (few hours) I think I would remove it all first as it would also be neater. If I hadn't mixed my colour I would also probably spray the last coat on for a smoother finish

Here's hoping it stays on!

Now for the rears... (groans)
    Last edited by Bigsi15; Tuesday 16th May 2017 at 21:43.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigsi15 For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Tuesday 16th May 2017),Yobbo (Friday 26th May 2017)

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Simon, You could try rubbing down with a coarse W&D used wet, or emery, to remove the sandcast effect from teh calipers being sandcast. You will get rid of all the previous coatings AND level the surface out to a smooth finish. CHeers W

4. The Following User Says Thank You to woz For This Useful Post:

Bigsi15 (Sunday 31st December 2017)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    I use my Dremel with a sanding wheel for small radiuses or a drill with a flap wheel as Woz says. It gives them a nice 'smooth' look. I bought a can of the pucker expensive paint from Eurocar parts but haven't use it yet - it was reduced in the sales from like £40!! KER-CHING sold guv'nor!! Trouble is I need to get both the cars MOT'd FIRST
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Have used hammerite on my calipers for years, never had any problems. Fresh them up every few years.

Thread Information