Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

stripped security wheel bolt = joy

so the title gives it away fairly quickly, the security key looks to have shat the bed due to some delightful air gun armed maniac. This has left me with two queries, what solutions have others found for this situation? Secondly, are there any recommendations for a durable set of replacement locking keys/bolts?

If it helps, the wheels are tethys and the security bolts are what came fitted from the factory.

Also, I googled this to death so I'm aware of welding on nuts, smashing smaller sockets on etc etc, I was just hoping some other poor soul has experienced the same but rectified it with more finesse lol.

Many thanks in advance!

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Nope....I just smashed a socket onto it to remove it ....no real finesse there and as for replacement I didn't, I just went back to standard bolts, my theory is that if they really want to nick your wheels these days they'll most probably pinch the car to start with and strip it somewhere else and then probably torch it...

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Imperial socket wrapped in tape. Lots of tape, so it doesn't fit in the bolt recess. This stops it bouncing out when you hit it with a hammer.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

claymore (Sunday 14th May 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just a quick update, after discussing this with FRF while ordering some parts, Mike kindly directed me where to go in order to navigate the mcguard website so I could get a replacement key.

After scrabbling around in the cars paperwork I found the code and Julien date, and after a few forms and 16 or so euros it was done. A few days later and the new key arrived, only then by comparing it with the old one could you see how chewed up it was.

Armed with the new key and a breaker bar the security bolts are off, there was a worrying crack removing them which did leave me a little worried I'd snapped my lovely shiny key, but that turned out to be the rust unbinding.

A quick clean with a wire brush, a small dab of copper slip and I snugged them back up. Jobs a good'un.

So if you find yourself in the same situation, and have the codes you can get a replacement key very easily. Failing that, if the keys were original to the vehicle, mcguard can provide replacements but you need to prove ownership, vin numbers iirc to order them.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Why on earth would you put them back on, just use normal wheel bolts.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

This user has no status

Thanks
    My wheels are super rare and need protection.

180k kerbed and peeling tethys wheels are on trend, it's the car equivalent of shabby chic.

Jokes aside the bolts were fine, got a brand new key and I've taken steps to minimise binding. Plus I'm going to start threatening tyre fitters with taking the blood of their first born if they over torque them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to edde For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 23rd May 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Tyre fitters love to use their air impact wrench and then over torque wheel bolts with a big f***** spanner. This makes nearly impossible to take off the wheel with the supplied emergency tools.
    I got rid off the security bolts on all cars of ours. No point. If someone wants to take the wheel, the'll do it no matter what...

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

This user has no status

Thanks
    There is really no need anymore for these security wheel bolts as most modern cars including the early V70 i had was fitted with the Tilt Sensor and if jacked up the alarm goes off......

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

This user has no status

Thanks
    Lies, don't you remember in Twins when Arnie lifts up the 5.0 Mustang convertible to turn off the alarm because the car thinks it's getting towed.

Films, never, lie.

It's an interesting point though, I might see if mine goes off when doing the drop links.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My V70 is the first car I've had where I've not bothered fitting security bolts (even though I had the wheels refurbed and new tyres fitted in the first year). I just don't see the point anymore. Certainly around here I don't think wheel theft is the done thing anymore (the yoof of Edinburgh are either stealing motorbikes and riding them around Granton or they are involved with the break and enter gangs stealing performance cars to order).

That said, I've never had a problem with stuck bolts so you should be fine* refitting those if the threads are OK and the the key fits OK. Just do what I do, if you ever have a garage put the wheels back on for any reason, loosen them up yourself as soon as you get home and tighten to the correct torque. That way if they've been a gorilla you can go straight back and get them to do it properly.

*Edited to add, I think the main reason I've never had a stuck bolt is that I usually have my wheels off at least once per year for maintenance/MOT checks etc. A bit of a generalisation but I reckon most of the time the problems are a mix of overtightening (garage gorillas) and corrosion where a wheel hasn't been off the hub in years.
    Last edited by Gold 'N' Brown; Wednesday 24th May 2017 at 11:41.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i had to grind the head off the locking nuts on my old S60, tried 3 different tyre shops who couldn't get it undone

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i had to grind the head off the locking nuts on my old S60, tried 3 different tyre shops who couldn't get it undone

That where James got the idea?!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Bit of chemical metal and a dash of silver paint and it'll be right as rain again.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

edde (Thursday 25th May 2017)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    might need some gorilla tape for the other side, got fed up of the rim being in the way so cut that off 1st before grinding the head off

This user has no status

Thanks
    Custom made flower pot. Supported by Volvo :-)

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Good grief, I felt hard done to when I had my locking bolts drilled out after them being fitted by an ape and they only took a chunk out of the paint!

....and 250 notes out of my back pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    White '98 S70 T5 ME7
    K&N panel filter
    Drilled airbox
    Ported 18T
    Milltek Exhaust
    Dark Anthracite Comets
    'R' Bumper
    2003 C70 Headlights
    Autogauge smoked boost gauge

"Yeh, the T5 and T5R are handy bits of kit for transporting wardrobes across the country at monumental speeds."

Thread Information