When I got my V70 5 years ago it didn't have a load cover, so I bought a used one from eBay. And in the years since it always struck me odd that it didn't fit correctly at the tailgate end, but no amount of faffing and adjusting, or head scratching could rectify it.

The problem is that when it's extended and hooked in to place, the 'flap' (bit with the handle cut out) sticks out horizontally rather than hanging down at a 45 degree angle, which would mean it would line up with the bottom of the rear window. So because it stays in the horizontal position I'm left with a huge gap above the base of the window, making it near impossible if you are using the cover to hide anything from prying eyes.

The flap isn't seized in any way, it can be wiggled about freely. I checked the plastic bits at the ends and compared to the cutouts in the side trims and everything seems to be correct. I can't see that there's any other way to clip it in place. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this?

On a related note, it also strikes me as odd that there's a sizable gap between the backs of the seats (and this is with them in the rearmost of the 2 positions) and the front (roller part) of the load cover. I've assumed this is normal and just a design flaw.