Join Today
    Bored it now need to build
    it...
    Thanks

Exhaust noise at idle

Morning guys
    So new exhaust is on, 2.5 turbo back to 3" back box. Was initially extremely loud with drone so added a midbox which has solved most of it. Is also de cat for now until next month for monies which I believe would help a bit more with noise

The issue is not overall noise but noise at tick over and 1500 rpm region where it is extremely Boomy. Above that sound is a nice throaty growl and quite quiet

Has anyone any experience with exhaust end tips as currently it is just the stainless pipe and I have read certain designs can help alter noise and this may be enough to dampen the slight drone and excess noise at tick over. I have a feeling the length and diameter of the pipe from the back box may be causing the noise a bit like an organ pipe does

Thanks for any advice

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    In my experience, it's the size of the mid box that makes or breaks an exhaust. The very reason aftermarket full systems are so expensive is because you're paying for all that fettling, tuning and testing to get the exhaust right.

Which exhaust did you fit? Which make?

I doubt the exhaust tips will alter the sound of the exhaust at all, unless it has some sort of funny inward lip? Most of the best exhaust systems tend to be straight exit pipes.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Bigsi15 (Tuesday 13th June 2017)

it...
    Thanks
    Thanks lee yes I'd agree there. After the addition of a mid box it reduced drone considerably. The exhaust is a custom made job for a local company to me and is straight out without a tip (I didn't bother in the end). Seems to have settled a bit and I'm sure the addition of a cat will help too

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

it...
    Thanks
    Lol ok here are some basic ones

Name:  IMG_4915.JPG
Views: 0
Size:  118.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_4914.JPG
Views: 0
Size:  76.9 KB

Thread Information