Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

thump when shifting gear

my car is a 2004 V70 D5 and makes a thump when shifting gear unless i'm super smooth with gear changes, can also be noticed if you are on and off the throttle and it's driving me mad.
    i've tried everything that i can think of all engine mounts have been replaced ,both hydro mounts ,gear box stabilizer mount, mount under crank pulley and also top engine steady mount , checked drive shaft bolts ,checked subframe bolts and wish bones and everything seems to be ok.
    when i bought the car i replaced the clutch and flywheel with new luk kit, so don't think its clutch or flywheel related.
    i've no idea what to try now ,is it possible that it's a gearbox or driveshaft problem.
    it does feel like a engine mount problem as it feels as if the engine shunts forward and back when on and off the throttle but after changing all the mounts it's not made the slightest bit of difference.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Replace all mounts with new or replacements to narrow the search?

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    all the mounts are new and have only been on the car for about 2 months at most and it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Dual mass..? That could do it

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Just fully read your post, but when you say you replaced the clutch was that just the driven plate or the whole dual mass clutch there is a massive difference tbh. This info could help sort your isue. ..

This user has no status

Thanks
    no sorry full clutch kit including fly wheel was fitted came as a full kit made my LUK .

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Drive shafts cv joints ?

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Hub bolts.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    drive shaft bolts are tight, drive shafts of cv joints and not sure about there is no noise from then even when turning on full lock, is there and way to check the drive shafts are ok ?
    i'm thinking it's got to be either drive shafts/ cv joints or gear box or clutch related as after changing all the engine mounts it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    .......After all of the above, it can only be the gearbox.

I would double check first to make sure it's not play in the drive shafts. They are prone to wear, expecially with high torque.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    It's not something rolling about under the front seats is it?

I had some weird knocks a while back and it was an aluminium drinks bottle under the passenger seat.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    It's not something rolling about under the front seats is it?

I had some weird knocks a while back and it was an aluminium drinks bottle under the passenger seat.
    no it's not that if you were to drive the car you would swear it's an engine mount , it feels like the top mount on the strut brace is knackered and the engine is lurching back and forth , is was so convinced this was the problem that even tried replacing the volvo mount for a poly bush, made absolutely no difference apart from nearly shaking my teeth out....lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Drive shafts cv joints ?
    Hi all I have a similar noise and I’ve read people saying to change my driveshaft bolts to xc90 ones but Volvo are saying there is 2 different lengths of bolt witch one wouldn’ I need for my 3004 v70 d5
    Thanks in advance

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveD5 View Post
    my car is a 2004 V70 D5 and makes a thump when shifting gear unless i'm super smooth with gear changes, can also be noticed if you are on and off the throttle and it's driving me mad.
    i've tried everything that i can think of all engine mounts have been replaced ,both hydro mounts ,gear box stabilizer mount, mount under crank pulley and also top engine steady mount , checked drive shaft bolts ,checked subframe bolts and wish bones and everything seems to be ok.
    when i bought the car i replaced the clutch and flywheel with new luk kit, so don't think its clutch or flywheel related.
    i've no idea what to try now ,is it possible that it's a gearbox or driveshaft problem.
    it does feel like a engine mount problem as it feels as if the engine shunts forward and back when on and off the throttle but after changing all the mounts it's not made the slightest bit of difference.
    There are a few things you'll need to check. Wear and tear is always progressive and affects all components. So if 5 components have 2% wear, when ALL taken into consideration, that's a total wear of 10%. So potentially 10% worth of movement/wear in the driveline part of the transmission.
    Before you go splitting the gearbox and checking the DMF/Clutch I would consider the output shafts from the Gearbox. They can suffer with excess wear on the splines. Also, there are two insulators on the driveshafts, where they go into the hub assembly. They are called 'Driveshaft insulator' and they cost about £3 each! They dry up and crack, become hard and then cause the shaft to move slightly in the hub assembly, especially when taking up drive. A long shot, but definately worth replacing.

You must be able to replicate the 'clonking' on a ramp with a technician underneath, looking and poking around. It would only require a simple up/down movement of the clutch pedal, hitting the biting point to make it do the clonk.

Quote Originally Posted by daveD5 View Post
    no it's not that if you were to drive the car you would swear it's an engine mount , it feels like the top mount on the strut brace is knackered and the engine is lurching back and forth , is was so convinced this was the problem that even tried replacing the volvo mount for a poly bush, made absolutely no difference apart from nearly shaking my teeth out....lol
    Yes, be very careful when changing bushes on diesels. Two of the main engine mounts are vacuum operated for that very reason...less vibration at idle. I'd always stick with OE on diesels unless it's the subframe mount inserts.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information