Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Another d5 oil thread

So the s60 is in need of a service and I'm trying to navigate the minefield that is finding the correct oil.

Its a 53 plate d5 se on 185,000 miles, it's been running on fully synthetic 5w40 for a long while and I think its reasonable going on with this, thicker oil covering the looser tolerances and a bit more heat protection.

I've narowed it down to three possibles and I think they meet the requirements for acea a3 b3 specs, but I'd appreciate the nod that they are okay and which is possibly best.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-92485-ca...roductVariants

I think c3 is the new designation for a3 b3? expensive but worth it?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69392-ca...roductVariants

Bit cheaper, but still more or less the same?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68976-sh...y-ferrari.aspx

Cheapest of the three but still fully synthetic, a3 b3 etc. From a big brand and Ferrari love it, apparently, so my volvo shouldn't explode.

Any other glaringly obvious recommendations I've missed? Oil used to have labels identifying them for diesels which seem to have gone away, which was a disappointment for an idiot like me. Are oils these days suitable for both? Have they always been and i was just a schmuck for advertising?

Thanks in advance

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I think you've pretty much done all your home work and you don't need our advice.
    They are all excellent oils and all the right grade for your engine.
    I've used them all and never had an engine fail....though something tells me it's got more to do with the 'lack of' servicing rather than the grade of oil you use. Due to the fact that diesel engines contaminate the oil quicker than petrol, it's probably more important to change the oil more regularly....say every 5k rather than making it stretch 10k.

Anyways, I'm currently going to be using the latter one you chose....

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68976-sh...y-ferrari.aspx

....at my next service due in less than 500 miles.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    One thing I would also do is use an engine flush before dropping the oil. This will help to clear away some, not all of the Carbon glaze that builds up on vital engine components.

I'd also consider a Terraclean as this will help unclog the EGR valve, fuel injectors, cleans valves and cylinder caps and monolith cells.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 17th April 2017 at 09:36.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Excellent, thanks for the tips. I was veering towards the shell due to its good price point.

In terms of the flush i read conflicting reports on its benefits, knocking debris into galleries, remnants of the flush left in the system thinning the new oil, repair bills so high they take the blood of a first born.

Is terraclean a slightly more refined process for engine cleansing? i think I recall mr ed china sponsoring it with his giant orange gloves if memory serves.

Thread Information