Join Today

Thread: htomi's thread

Threaded View

This user has no status

Thanks

htomi's thread

I was thinking for while if I want to open my own thread or not. Today I decided to give it a shot so here we go:

My name is Tamas. Living in Ireland near Cork.

A friend of mine got me into Volvo's, back in 2010. He was an enthusiast, who owned several Volvo's - S70 2.0T, S70 T5, P1 V70 R and 05' V70R GT - before switched over to Porsche.
    So, the time came when I needed a car and he convinced me to get the Swedish brick instead of a fancy German.
    Himself, Ray my good friend and trusted mechanic, and myself, drove to the other side of the country to buy my first Volvo, a 03' S60 2.0T from a dealer with 91k miles on the clock.
    5 years & 100k miles later - still a happy friendship with my daily S60 - two of us again, drove up to the North to check out the only available Irish plate VR for sale, a late 04 GT.

At this point, I'd like to mention few things:
    1st: I loved my S60, but always wanted a manual P2 VR.
    2nd: Not much of a choice here in Ireland, as R's are very-very rare. Few S60R's were listed however not a single P2 V70 R. I know only 1 besides mine.
    3rd: The alternative way to source an R is to get it from the UK, pay the customs duty, new road worthiness test and so on, in a nutshell going down on that road is PITA.

So I decided to take look on this GT with 75k miles on the clock and 1 previous owner.
    The body seen better days for sure, few scratches here and there, interior also wasn't perfect, but overall not that bad for a 10 year old car.
    Engine was running fine, everything was working as should.
    I said to myself: now or never.... took the leap and bough the car in May'15.

The new fRiendship took a bad turn at the 2nd wk of ownership. Heard a loud bang while drove the car on the way home, dash-lights turned into a christmas three, car in limp mode and half of the electrical functions missing. Long story short: the CEM module was toasted. Most likely it was overheated due to the bad design affecting the 03-04s. At the end it had to replaced by the dealership. Luckily I had discount and thanks to my loyalty to the dealership - past 5 years - got a considerable discount on the labour and sw load too. Obviously this incident took out 'some' money from my pocket which was there to put the car back to stage 0 as fast as I can.

Next, completed the big service in Sep 2015, as I do not trust any stamped history. All fluids, transmission drain and fill, coolant flush, all filters, spark plugs, T-belt, water pump, brake pads and 4 new tyres.
    During this service the garage discovered, wrong spark plugs have been used, t-belt wasn't replaced against the stamped history, nor the water pump.
    So, when I got the car back, it was completely different and better for sure.

Since then the below have been replaced THANKS to my good friend Raimund (Ray) who helped me a lot!
    He has 25+ years of experience as an ex rally lead/head mechanic and respected rally car builder. (mostly Honda's), so he definitely knows his ways around cars

• Rear passenger side wheel bearing together with the hand brake pads, both sides.
    • Handbrake cable and handbrake mod (star adjusters)
    • Front shock absorbers - Bilstein B6
    • Complete front suspension rebuild - Lemforder and original Volvo parts (tie rods, ball joints, control arms, stabiliser, strut bearing etc)
    • Rear toe bars - OEM
    • Lemforder stabiliser rods front and rear
    • Drive shaft seal
    • Angle gear seal
    • 3 times gearbox drain and fill, using Valvoline Max Life ATF
    • Fuel Pump, fuel pressure sensor, fuel pump gaskets and plastic lock units
    • PCV and one way vacuum line, inc one way valves
    • TCV - first OEM then the grey Pierburg, TCV/vacuum hoses.
    • Upgraded to Jetex Air filter - thanks Lee!
    • do88 intake and lower intercooler pipes
    • Forge CBV with green spring
    • Software load/update by Volvo
    • Exhaust trim replacement (cfwerks)
    • Center console CF wrap and lid fix
    • Replaced few interior parts which were broken/scratched
    • Leather interior clean and treatment
    • Parrot Asteriod Mini install

and possibly few more which I cannot recall.

I'm planning the following jobs to be completed:
    • Coils and spark Plugs at 100k (just passed 99k) and standard service
    • Strut bar Conversion kit upgrade - ordered
    • Propshaft refurb
    • Angle gear collar-sleeve replacement
    • Shimming the block
    • Coolant flush
    • Brake fluid flush, new rotors + pads (front & rear)
    • Bilstein B6 rears
    • 05 center console upgrade - I have it already, need to source brushed aluminium gearbox trim and same cupholder box.
    • Rear windows tint
    • Alloys refurb
    Last edited by htomi; Monday 3rd April 2017 at 11:51.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to htomi For This Useful Post:

Harvey (Monday 3rd April 2017),LeeT5 (Friday 14th April 2017),stricky1967 (Monday 3rd April 2017)

Thread Information