Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 50.00%
  • No

1 50.00%
    This user has no status

Thanks

Bilstein offering assistance to make shock absorbers for S60R/V70R (03-07)

All,

I'm opening this new thread to create more visibility to this cause:

As you may aware - from sweedspeed.com - there is a possibility to use Bilstein B6/B8 shock absorbers on our caRs.
    Relevant VPCUK thread:
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...-B6-2004-V70-R

However, installing a rear B6 (24-018050) shocks require some skills, proper tools and access to a machine shop which not all of us have to be able to overcome the missing spring perches problem.

A newer and simplified method discovered by an sspeed member, which is based on the Mazda Miata world practice to fit Bilsteins on the MX-5s.

In a nutshell: A 3rd party adjustable coil-over spring sleeve kit can be used and then a clip grove to be cut into the Bilstein shock housing.
    For this modification, the lower end of the factory spring also needs to be flattened to create similar design to the coil-over springs.
    Additionally as mentioned above, the 4C sensor has to be removed from the Monroe and plugged back to avoid limp mode DTCs and retain the C/S/A mode functionality without the shock stiffening. (which IMHO the B6/B8 won't require anyway)

So, I've reached out to Bilstein HQ to see what solutions they can offer 'off the shelf' and move this project to the next level.
    At the 30th of March, received an email from them with a good news!

Copied the information from the email I have:

"We have two options:
    We can offer 2 dampers for you, build as prototypes:
    Based on 24-018050, with circlip and springplate, setting as you would like to have.
    176 Euro plus tax, plus shipping per piece.

Or we create a new part-no, if we have more than 10 quantities.
    You can order them as often as you want, price based on quantities, of course cheaper than 176 euro.

Delivery time: 6 – 8 weeks.
    "

Now, I'd like to see if we can come up with more than 10 orders (globally) to aim for the second option = new part-no which would be beneficial for the greater community.

So please add your nick name to this topic if you're interested and also 100% committed to buy the product, once available.
    I'd prefer to close this off by EOD 7th of Apr 2017.

Thanks!
    htomi

sweedspeed.com thread:
    http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...BILSTEIN/page9
    Last edited by htomi; Friday 31st March 2017 at 15:12.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

2. The Following User Says Thank You to htomi For This Useful Post:

stricky1967 (Wednesday 5th April 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Update.

So far I have 2 committed , and 2 genuine interest across the Globe.

Further update received at the 4th of Apr:

Shock is going to be based on the 24-018050 with spring plate and circlip.
    5 grooves possible = adjustable in 5 or 10 mm steps.
    Custom made bottom and top fitment to eliminate the known issue with the 24-018050 fitments (bottom bushing and spacer)

Estimated shipping time frame:

USA: 4 – 6 weeks
    Ireland: 1 – 2 weeks
    United Kingdom: 1 – 2 weeks

Bilstein is now requesting measurements to be able to custom build the new shock.

Can someone pass me the C1501 dimensions?
    Drawing with the correct diameters of piston rod and length/diameters of the bottom bushing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by htomi; Tuesday 4th April 2017 at 12:38.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to htomi For This Useful Post:

stricky1967 (Wednesday 5th April 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hello
    Warning about the B8.
    I have had Bilstein B8 dampers mated with Eibach pro-kit on a 2001 V70. This was so unbeliveable hard almost like no suspention. I contacted Bilstein asking about the possibllity to lower the preload but they would not offer any advice.

Cheers
    Michael

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I have the front B6s on stock springs and IMHO is way better that the factory Monroe.
    Perfect balance between sport and comfort - at least for my taste.
    Last edited by htomi; Wednesday 5th April 2017 at 12:19.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Update

8 committed and 7 genuine interest across the Globe.
    Drawing based on the C1501 has been emailed to Bilstein. (an sspeed mbr was kind enough to complete the task)

sweedspeed.com poll thread with the latest updates:
    http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...R-V70R-(03-07)

This user has no status

Thanks
    UPDATE

Based on the latest email 07th of Apr 2017 from Bilstein:

1. Custom rear B6 and B8 versions will be available.
    2. Production will be done by Bilstein's Prototyping Department.
    3. Price: €176/Shock (piece) + TAX + Shipping (e.g. €352 + TAX + Shipping - for the rear set inc both, rear left and rear right shocks).
    4. Full Payments to be completed to Bilstein directly and in advance. It is a requirement from Bilstein to start the production.
    5. Delivery time 6 weeks

Ordering full sets, e.g. fronts and rears together isn't possible due to production and sales of the new custom shocks will be completed by Bilstein's Prototyping Department.
    Kindly note, as per Bisltein, parts currently listed/available in catalogs, needs to be ordered through local or online parts stores/dealers.

• Front B6 #️ 35-052210
    • Front B8 #️ 35-052227

Next steps:

To maintain privacy from both angles (Bilstein and all sweedspeed.com members committed to purchase the product and therefore voted yes within the dedicated topic up to EOD 07/Apr/17 = Initial Group (I.G.)) and also to provide transparency to Bilstein from the IGs side:
    a. According to the agreement with Bilstein, I'm taking the task to keep channeling the communication between Bilstein and the IG up to the point where each member of the IG will place their own orders directly to Bilstein.
    b. I'm going to reach out to the IG members individually via PMs to request further details to secure and finalize the deal with Bilstein.
    c. I'm going to handle all details communicated to me as Private and share it with Bilstein only and exclusively.

General T&C

Each and every individual who're intend to purchase, install and use the product in scope: Are conscious of the below listed points and willing to take all risks, all responsibilities and all consequences related to purchasing, installing and using the product in scope.
    I. This is a private project with the assistance and contribution of the sweedsped.com community forum and its users who're contributed to this case.
    II. The project is based on details/data/experience/knowledge etc shared by other members and available within the sweedspeed.com community forum.
    III. The product in scope is going to be a prototype product.
    IV. The product in scope is based on details/data/experience/knowledge etc. shared by other members and available within the sweedspeed.com community forum.

Kindly note,
    1. I'm not a parts dealer in any way.
    2. I'm not employed by Bilstein, Monroe, Volvo etc nor I was ever employed by any of these companies.

Any questions, please drop me a pm or post it within this topic.

Thanks!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Latest Update

UPDATE - 12 May 2017

We've reached the final stage on this project before it goes to production.
    According the confirmation received at the 12th of May (from Bilstein), payment information going to be sent out this week.

"The tube body gets 5 grooves, so you can adjust the spring-plate position:
    Middle is 92 (75 mm), adjust 16 mm up and 16 mm down in 2 steps"

Custom made rear B6 or B8 based on the Monroe C1501 rear shocks.

Price:
    €176 + tax for 1 shock
    €100 for shipping the shocks as dangerous goods.

Thread Information