Join Today

Thread: Paint

This user has no status

Thanks

Paint

Every time I get my car washed, paint keeps coming off my front bumper.

I've used touch up paint but doesn't stick...

Without getting a full spray is there anything can be done? Could get bumper wrapped or cover it with a sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Bad respray in the past? Or maybe you've been a bit unsympathetic with the jet wash on a damaged section (stone chip etc) and it's lifted the paint.

You could try a localised rattle can repair - rub it back and use a good quality plastic primer, base caot and clear coat. May not end up a perfect match but would look better than flaky paint. Otherwise I think the only option is full respray or try to hide it as you suggested. If you are going for a rattle can job, don't bother with stuff like Halfords off the shelf cans. Get some from a proper paint supplier (try Paints 4 U) as the cans have a better atomiser.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I wouldn't bother trying to polish a turd. The bumper has obviously been sprayed in the past and not a good job.

Don't waste your time and money trying to paint it with cans, it will look even worse and the overspray will cover the car (unless you completely wrap the car in clingfilm or plastic sheets).

Just get it resprayed! Budget £300-400 for a good quality paint job from a reputable Body shop.

....and one more thing. Don't have it done by a man in a van. Total waste of money and will still cost you £250-300.

They can sort out your badly wrapped trim parts too at the same time
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    The bumper can be removed and rattle-canning it is an option. Best to either learn how to do it properly or ask someone with experience to have a go.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I would go with Lee's advise, get it done by professionals. Removing the bumper takes 10 mins.
    Alternatively you can get the bumper wrapped - also by pros.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

Thread Information