Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Billstein B6 vs OE Monroe - 2004 V70 R

Just noticed my front right strut is leaking. It is the original Monroe, so it was expected at some stage.
    Most likely, I'm planning to go with the Billstein B6 (BILSTEIN, 35-052210) and complete the modification seen on the US forum. Ex extract the sensor from the Monroe to foul the 4C system.
    Based on the description found, the 35-052210 fits the 2004 V70 T5 and 2004 V70 2.5 T, but before making a hole in my wallet, I want to be sure that's the right one for my 04'VR and it is bolt on.

The car shall remain on stock springs and only the front struts (2) will be replaced.

Comments are welcome.
    Last edited by htomi; Tuesday 24th May 2016 at 12:07.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    When a good working system is so capable why would you want to do this and not just replace the front shocks with OEM Monroe?

This user has no status

Thanks
    In my opinion, Billsteins are far better than Monroes. The only disadvantage of this, the 4C has to be hacked by extracting the sensor from the old one, which is not an issue as the drivers side is already leaking.

Now, as I got deeper in this, found the Monroe C2501 brand new, for 230 EUR inc shipping, locally from Ireland. That's more less the same price for the B6 but no hacking required, just plug an play.
    Cross referenced the OE 30683703 and its matching up.
    As far as I know the OEM ( which is sold by Volvo for a nightmare price) was developed by OHLINS and Monroe struts were used.

So this got me thinking to stick to the Monroe, due to less hassle with the installation.
    Last edited by htomi; Tuesday 24th May 2016 at 10:13.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I know there was a supply issue from Monroe but they were due to run a batch off soon.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Some links in the thread below for places to buy Monroe stuff

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...=monroe+shocks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

htomi (Tuesday 24th May 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks guys! Just got off the phone with the local dealership where my buddy confirmed the Monroe C2501 is the part number for the R front strut. He suggested too, to stick to the Monroe due to less complication with the install.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ordered the Monroe for €225/strut inc shipping.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Going from worn out, knackered stock shocks to OE new ones was night and day! The feel of your worn shocks compared to new ones will be huge.

I strongly advise that you stick with OE shocks on the stock springs. For the extra, considerably small cost, it's worth buying new springs as well, They sag over time.

I think that mixing new Bilsteins B6 with OE Monroes on the rear, is a recipe for disaster. Either fit B6's all round or Monroes, not mix.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

htomi (Tuesday 24th May 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Lee! Understand your idea about the springs, but I'm afraid, I'll have to skip on those for now.

Updated the thread title.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    No need to extract anything it's just a resistor to fool the 4c put in the plug.

Last time I saw them they were £300-350 for a set

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    "Really easy actually. You have to mount the existing suspension accelerometers to your non4c or aftermarket replacements. As for the electrical side of things, each shock/strut has a 2-wire harness coming out of it... Cut the harness and in the shock's place, solder in or use butt connectors to install a simple 8 ohm 20 watt ceramic resistor. And there you go!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

htomi (Wednesday 25th May 2016)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    "Really easy actually. You have to mount the existing suspension accelerometers to your non4c or aftermarket replacements. As for the electrical side of things, each shock/strut has a 2-wire harness coming out of it... Cut the harness and in the shock's place, solder in or use butt connectors to install a simple 8 ohm 20 watt ceramic resistor. And there you go!"
    Have a read of the full thread not just one paragraph , it's worth it..

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...shocks-struts)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    I only posted up the relevant info to fool the 4c, I kind of thought he'd made his mind up.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    No need to extract anything it's just a resistor to fool the 4c put in the plug.

Last time I saw them they were £300-350 for a set
    Yes, I've seen that, however the resistors are working only up to the 04 models. According to the info from the States folks, 05 and above cannot be fouled that way, in that case the sensor extract is the way to go with.
    I've seen the pictures on the US forum and kinda liked the idea + nice & clean setup.
    http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...th-HD-BILSTEIN
    Last edited by htomi; Wednesday 25th May 2016 at 11:49.

This user has no status

Thanks
    As said above, my first intention was to go with the B6, mainly because we had Billsteins in the missis Mini R50 once the factory ones were close to their end of life. (oh man, what a difference it was! the new factory Mini struts doesn't even come close to the Billstein) + the good reviews about the B6.
    Finally I gave up the idea primarily due to the minimum price difference, secondary the car remains on the factory set and lastly no hacking required.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Replaced all mine a few months ago , last MOT pointed out I had a 'misting' front, so took the plunge and got new front and rears Monroes C2501 fronts and C1501 rears, costs were approx £300 per pair , so around £600 total. made a big difference, often have it fully loaded with the us the 4 kids and dog. Didn't change the springs though they looked OK.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Did your struts turn up. Cracking price?????

V70r 6Speed Auto
    First car to put a smile back on my face for years!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Update.
    My order for the Monroes got cancelled due to no availability. I did search for 2 days, the only option I could find was to order them from the States and pay customs duty or buy the Volvo labeled for nearly 600 EUR for 1 strut. So, I said f*** this:
    1. I'm not a millionaire to pay 1200 EUR for a pair of struts. Its a stupid price ...
    2. Bilstein is way better quality than Monroe.
    3. I needed my car back on the road

Order the 2 B6s (35-052210) from skandix.de for 484 EUR inc shipping. Got installed both during the past Saturday.

We've been able to extract the 4C sensors from the old one by cutting (round) the strut pipe at the bottom and then unscrew the sensor with its housing. So, no soldering was required. Placed the sensors inside the engine bay and plugged back. No error messages.

My current setup as follows: B6 + stock springs. The rest of the front suspension is new (less than 6k miles). Strut bearings, bearing plate, control arms, ball joints, tie rods are all Lemforder.

First impression: drove home from the garage, 50 km, 75% dual carriage - highway kinda road and 25% back road (very bumpy, uneven surface, full with potholes). Rears are still the factory ones, with no modification whatsoever. Setting = Sport.
    The front is well seated on both type of roads. It feels between comfort and sport mode, but more towards to the sport firmness. I would say its a hairline softer than the sport setting.
    Riding on the good quality road surface, the difference is hardly noticeable, compared to the rear.

Once reached the bumpy part, the car turned into something amazing! It seems these Bilsteins just wants more & more bumps and speed! No more bouncing, crashes, hip-hops, just smooth and same time firm/sporty ride.
    Rears are still tight and firm, but definitely, I can feel more hops and bouncing over the bumps compared to the front.

On Sunday, we went for biking and drove the car with the new setup for 150 miles. 40% dual carriage and 60% back road. Setting= Sport.
    Same results, the car feels well seated in all 4 corners, no matter the road quality.
    I drove like a 'hooligan' on the back roads as my other half said. No wonder the B6s just inspiring me for more speed. Cornering is laser precise and as said no more bouncing, crashes, hops, just a firm sporty ride.

Conclusion:
    I'm 110% happy with the B6s , but in case if someone is looking for a firmer ride, go for the (T5) B8 and use lowering springs. It will be between the factory sport and advanced.
    Alternatively if the budget is there, then KW coilovers + lowering springs.

I'll wait till the rear Monroes going to be shot and go for the rear B6 (24-018050).

Kindly note, currently nobody makes any straight swap alternative for the rear Monroe C1501. The above listed rear (24-018050) is originally for a Jaguar. The exact same has been successfully used & still in use on a S60R with minor modification.
    I'll attempt the same once my rears are gone.

Posted the same and more you can find/read on the US (sweedspeed) forum.
    http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...BILSTEIN/page6
    Last edited by htomi; Tuesday 14th June 2016 at 11:09.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thread resurrection.

First of all, I don't want start a 'thread war' or to convince anybody to swap over to Bilstein. It is - at least for me - just an alternative over the 'gold' priced Monroe struts.

As you may aware - from sweedspeed.com - installing a rear B6 (24-018050) shock absorbers require some skills, proper tools and access to a machine shop which not all of us have to be able to overcome the missing spring perches problem.
    A newer and simplified method discovered by an sspeed member, which is based on the Mazda Miata world practice to fit Bilsteins on the MX-5s.

In a nutshell: A 3rd party adjustable coil-over spring sleeve kit can be used and then a clip grove to be cut into the Bilstein shock housing.
    For this modification, the lower end of the factory spring also needs to be flattened to create similar design to the coil-over springs.
    Additionally as mentioned above, the 4C sensor has to be removed from the Monroe and plugged back to avoid limp mode DTCs and retain the C/S/A mode functionality without the shock stiffening. (which IMHO the B6/B8 won't require anyway)

So, I've reached out to Bilstein HQ to see what solutions they can offer 'off the shelf' and move this project to the next level.
    Today I've received an email from them with a good news!

Copied the information from the email I have:

"We have two options:
    We can offer 2 dampers for you, build as prototypes:
    Based on 24-018050, with circlip and springplate, setting as you would like to have.
    176 Euro plus tax, plus shipping per piece.

Or we create a new part-no, if we have more than 10 quantities.
    You can order them as often as you want, price based on quantities, of course cheaper than 176 euro.

Delivery time: 6 – 8 weeks."

Now, I'd like to see if we can come up with more than 10 orders (globally) to aim for the second option = new part-no which would be beneficial for the greater community.

So please add your nick name to this topic if you're interested and also 100% committed to buy the product, once available.
    I'd prefer to close this off by EOD 7th of Apr 2017.

Thanks!
    htomi
    Last edited by htomi; Thursday 30th March 2017 at 20:40.

This user has no status

Thanks
    So far 2 orders.

Again,please add your nick name to this topic if you're interested.

Thread Information