Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Stiffer Springs but standard / very little height drop

Hi All, new to the Forum.

I have a 2001 V70 T5, (been in the family since new). I always thought it had really soft suspension right from new (had 850 T5 before that and much firmer (and still nice)). I don't want to "slam it on the ground" with a 30mm drop (have done this with a Puma which was so tall on its std springs as to be stupid).

What I really want is to fine a set of std or minimal drop springs that are a good deal higher in spring rate. All the ones I can fine on the web seem to be ~30mm drop and none or them mention an actual spring rate or even a %age up on standard.

I tow a good bit (a few different race cars), so if I put 30mm drop springs on the thing it will likely be useless for towing.

Is there anywhere you can get a good bit higher rate std height springs? Car has new 235/45x17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's on (new today), has great overall grip in the corners once loaded up, but (a has always been the case with the car from new) the change of direction just shows up how very soft the standard springs are. Need something like 30% stiffer but standard height. Not intending to changed dampers at this point.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Not the answer you were looking for, but I'd point out that your current springs if quite old will likely have sagged over time anyway, so if you put new stock height springs on the car will probably sit noticeably higher. Stock V70 T5s don't exactly sit that low anyway, so a 30mm drop isn't going to make it impractical. And if you did go down that route you could always add the rubber buffers (I forget the actual name of them) to the rear springs for towing - they just slip over the coils and prevent the springs compressing all the way, a bit like an extra bump stop in a way.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Gold. As I have driven the car from new, I can definitely say it has not dropped on springs in that time (not that high mileage). And from what I gather all V70's bar the R (which might have had different setup as AWD), were all the same height spring and rate. Lame compared to an 850 T5 which definitely had stiffer springs.

I have heard putting a set of B6 Bilsteins on with std rate / height springs would transform it. Dropping the thing 30mm would make towing impossible. Fulling loaded trailer, racer and boot has rear sitting damp low anyway. Its no racer, just want it less rolly poly!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My T5 is a MY2001 (reg'd 2000) and has only just ticked over 100k. I put new standard springs and dampers on the back about 18 months ago and it sits noticeably higher now. I do wonder if it's possible I got sent the wrong springs or something (they are KYB springs on Meyle HD dampers) as there are different options available.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    Not the answer you were looking for, but I'd point out that your current springs if quite old will likely have sagged over time anyway, so if you put new stock height springs on the car will probably sit noticeably higher. Stock V70 T5s don't exactly sit that low anyway, so a 30mm drop isn't going to make it impractical. And if you did go down that route you could always add the rubber buffers (I forget the actual name of them) to the rear springs for towing - they just slip over the coils and prevent the springs compressing all the way, a bit like an extra bump stop in a way.
    Totally agree!!

The word you were looking for is 'Spring assistors'. They are like a curly bit of rubber that you slide into the coil of the spring and hold in place using a cable tie.
    IPD sell them as do PFV (I think?).

Also, I'd point out that only changing the springs, IMHO is doing a half arsed job. All shocks Gas or Oil filled, only last around 80-100k. Anymore than that and they are well past it, whether they pass an MOT or not! Fitting new shocks with new springs (which, as Gold 'N' Brown says, will sit slightly higher due to your old springs sagging with age) is night and day and will make an enormous difference.

I assume your rear shocks are not Nivomats?? If they are, then that changes things alot and I'd only advise fitting Nivomats, otherwise you'll totally change the characteristics of the cars handling that your are used to, not to mention affect your car insurance!

The spring assistors do not raise the car, they merely prevent the spring from compressing too much when towing and maintain a good ride height.
    When you're not towing, you won't notice any difference with them fitted.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cheers Gold and Lee.

OK sounds like you I both talking sense.

So what kit would either of you recommend. Seems you can get Bilstein or Koni with 30mm drop sets of springs. The spring assistor do look like they could be the answer.

Hopefully the rate of the shorter springs would be a good bit more than the std old stuff so would not want to compress so much at the back when towing in the first place and the assistor could help if they compress too much. This is not the sort of thing I'd want to get wrong due to cost. If it was a racer I'd do it myself, but usually steer clear of DIY on the Volvo.

Not Novi's.

This user has no status

Thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If it was my money I'd be going for the B12 kit, and indeed I think Larkspeed are the cheapest for it (certainly that I found anyway). If I hadn't just bought a replacement car I'd probably have got the B12 kit fitted last month. Everyone seems to rave about the B8 and Eibach combination (which is what the B12 kit is), not just for the Volvo but across many marques on forums I frequent.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_1417_zpstgydqcmo.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  231.4 KBLooking like I'll do this (B12), and use the assisters. If it sags to much towing with those, it looks like you can use two or thinker caravan assister ones.

Thread Information