Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

New to tuning my 98t4

Hi guys , I have a 1998 t4 s40, has a forge dump valve on but I want more power and my engine light is on due to lambda sensor and camshaft sensor. I've owned the same car previously and it's been in my family for 12years previous to my ownership, any advice on a remap with good figures and the direction I should go for achieving 270ish bhp level? Any help is much appreciated, I love my drifting but I can't help but not love the s40 T4 😁

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Hey and welcome.

The lambda light is probably on because of the dump valve.
    These cars don't like atmo dump valves throwing away all that metered air.

'98 is P1, right?
    No one maps them Fella. The Siemens ECU is an arse to crack. There were a couple of firms that used to, but no joy now.

They manage and adapt surprisingly well with an MBC, prob a set of injectors too as the standards really are tiny.
    Google is your friend with regards to a safe boost limit.

This user has no status

Thanks

I hate i pads !

[QUOTE=Doingitsideways;810619]Hey and welcome.

The lambda light is probably on because of the dump valve.
    These cars don't like atmo dump valves throwing away all that metered air.

'98 is P1, right?
    No one maps them Fella. The Siemens ECU is an arse to crack. There were a couple of firms that used to, but no joy now.

They manage and adapt surprisingly well with an MBC, prob a set of injectors too as the standards really are tiny.
    Google is your friend with regards to a safe boost limit.[/https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/harry-bikers-35l-slow-cooker
    I just wrote a long reply but it deleted it, I love my s40 but could do with an estate if I can't gain power easily, what is the drivetrain set up on a V70R ? And power achievements without problems, if it's haldex im not too enthusiastic tbh , could buy a Subaru with bigger smile factor for less money . I'm told my s40 T4 is rare as it's a CDSE model that wasn't available in the U.K. , please correct me if I'm wrong I can give the registration as it was a uk spec car but built for an raf pilot based in Germany but to U.K. Spec with all options, my dad bought it from phillip wittaker Volvo in Farnam at 6 months old,any insight or knowledge would be welcomed

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had a `98 model T4 for 3years which was the UK spec "CD SE"........the CD has all the options as standard as it was top of the range but the base was an SE. The CD`s of Volvo`s in that era were all top of the range as was my 960 CD.

They are not really rare but there are less around now.

In essence the 1855T4 does not like anything done to it as it is so highly strung to start with to get 200bhp. All the standard parts are good for 250bhp, the simplest way on a standard motor to get more power is turn up the actuator five turns from the basic setting and you should get around 237bhp for nothing but it will only do around 28mpg!

You can spend money to get more but as they say the first 20bhp costs £10 but the next 20bhp will cost hundreds?

With the ECU mapped the companies that did do it only went to around 240bhp.

Best not to use a dump valve or an MBC as this motor has no cut out or safety feature as the Phase 2 2litre does. Just use the std. early boost solenoid and not the later one, same as T5.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 960kg; Tuesday 21st March 2017 at 13:48.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    I had a `98 model T4 for 3years which was the UK spec "CD SE"........the CD has all the options as standard as it was top of the range but the base was an SE. The CD`s of Volvo`s in that era were all top of the range as was my 960 CD.

They are not really rare but there are less around now.

In essence the 1855T4 does not like anything done to it as it is so highly strung to start with to get 200bhp. All the standard parts are good for 250bhp, the simplest way on a standard motor to get more power is turn up the actuator five turns from the basic setting and you should get around 237bhp for nothing but it will only do around 28mpg!

You can spend money to get more but as they say the first 20bhp costs £10 but the next 20bhp will cost hundreds?

With the ECU mapped the companies that did do it only went to around 240bhp.

Best not to use a dump valve or an MBC as this motor has no cut out or safety feature as the Phase 2 2litre does. Just use the std. early boost solenoid and not the later one, same as T5.
    Thank you, is it simple to turn up the actuator? Forgive my ignorance but I gave up working on my own cars after I had back problems n couldn't lean over the engine any more, simply said don't roll a Subaru . Will the ecu be ok with that ? I don't want to lose the dump valve as I love to frighten the stupid tossers loading their cars from the road side which round my way there is a pleferer of common sense shy beings sadly ! I only average about 24 mpg maybe 28 on a long run as I have a lead foot , or a determination to get to my destination as I class it , I'm sure my mechanic can do it tbh just want to be certain . Thanks guys

UK League Champion SQ Advance
    4k Euro EMMA

Thanks
    yays another t4 owner....................

Thread Information