Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Improving airflow

Hi all

I am hopefully picking up 1997 V70 T5 tomorrow and one of first things I'd like to do is performance exhaust air intake then remap, what are the best ones to go for please.

Rob

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    For performance, you're better off keeping the standard airbox and filter but fitting a larger pipe between the maf and turbo. There's usually a few second hand ones about on the forums or fleabay.
    Exhaust wise, a 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, coupled to any decent catback (I'm using a standard v70r catback), it's the downpipe that makes the biggest difference.

Debating maps is a real can of worms so I'm gonna stay out of that one as I'm one of only a few people to have an Autotech map (very popular in Europe) which I personally think is superb but now impossible to get in the UK.
    Just be sure to get a map from a reputable tuner and not someone who has to remove your ecu to do the work.

Edit.... 1997... Is that pre me7? Not sure but if it is, you can just swap the ecu for a pre-tuned one.
    Last edited by M-R-P; Sunday 19th March 2017 at 22:45.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Fixiebob (Monday 20th March 2017)

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    The first thing you'll want to do is a full stage zero ( plenty of posts on here and other forums). Once your confident the car is running tip top with fresh fluids & and renewed ignition components then would be the time to look at performance upgrades.

Ferrita or TME seem to be the preferred performance exhausts, although there are others. Don't forget a larger downpipe and sport cat for best results. Improved exhaust manifold from later cars, japanifold, also helps. Stock paper filter is good for more BHP than you'll get from your stock turbo, so leave that.

Gearbox flush and Aux cooler for your auto box as they tend to melt with increased output.

Tim Williams is your best bet for a decent map. Although as mentioned above, pre-chipped ecu's are available - but can be a bit rough around the edges.

There's a shed load of other upgrades you can do....it's a slippery slope...and loads of folk have already trod the path before you. Google is your friend as is learning from their mistakes.

Good luck, cheers, Morgan

Ps yours should be Motronic 4.4 .....running a throttle cable, dizzy & leads vs. ME 7 with ETM & coilpacks.
    Last edited by Shinsplintz 101; Sunday 19th March 2017 at 22:45.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

Fixiebob (Monday 20th March 2017),M-R-P (Sunday 19th March 2017)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Old stuff was never my strong point lol
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Sunday 19th March 2017)

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Old stuff was never my strong point lol
    Neither is ex-plod V70s, but God loves a trier

Can only echo what's already been said.
    From the sounds of it, the car's not done much work over the last few years, making a stage-0 possibly even more important.
    Great way to get to know your car too.

Thread Information