Join Today

Thread: Angle gear

This user has no status
    Thanks

Angle gear

I'm having angle gear issues I think. Everytime I turn left or right I can hear a sort of rumbling sound. The car started to make a loud knock sound when reversing onto my drive occasionally about 2 weeks ago, also when making this sound when reversing the car felt like I had run over a rock.
    Then I tested for wheelspin 2 days ago and I had a little then it gripped . I tried again from a slow start and wheelspin then traction light flashed then gripped again. Is this the collar on its last legs possibly ? If so is replacing the collar any more difficult on an auto.
    The car is an 04 S60R geartronic. It's on 122000 miles .

This user has no status

Thanks
    When my collar was shot it would spin front wheels in 1st and 2nd above 4K revs if pushed hard in my s60r, Manual tho, however when I owned an automatic Impreza, I'd get noises on certain locks and when reversing it was the transmission that was at fault

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I don't think it's transmission related. The fluid is cherry red and the changes are smooth. I'll put it over the pit at work tomorrow and check if the prop turns with one wheel in the air. Also I'll check the fluid level.
    When your collar failed was there any noise or just wheelspin ?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antonys60r View Post
    I'm having angle gear issues I think. Everytime I turn left or right I can hear a sort of rumbling sound. The car started to make a loud knock sound when reversing onto my drive occasionally about 2 weeks ago, also when making this sound when reversing the car felt like I had run over a rock.
    Then I tested for wheelspin 2 days ago and I had a little then it gripped . I tried again from a slow start and wheelspin then traction light flashed then gripped again. Is this the collar on its last legs possibly ? If so is replacing the collar any more difficult on an auto.
    The car is an 04 S60R geartronic. It's on 122000 miles .
    If the AWD is functioning correctly you shouldn't get any wheelspin at all, especially from a slow start. If you have no warning light yellow triangle and no DTC's that start; DEM **** then this will tell you the Haldex oil pump and Haldex controller are both ok and working, indicating that you may have a broken collar.

Best to get the car up on a ramp with a driver in the seat. Start engine and slowly pull away in 1st gear (all 4 wheels off the floor). This will simulate ice conditions and drive will be equal to all 4 wheels. They should all spin the same!
    There are other methods for checking, but if the collar is broken, you'll have little to no drive to the rear wheels.

With the rear wheels off the floor and fronts on the ground, spin one wheel. If it spins freely, then your collar is broken.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

htomi (Friday 3rd February 2017)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks Lee. I'll check this on the ramp at work. I have vida and no dtcs are logged at all on the car. I

This user has no status

Thanks
    There was no noticeable noise change when I had it fixed, i think mine was shot from the day I brought it

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Collar failure confirmed. Wheelspin on loose gravel in the yard before putting the car on the ramp anyway. Oil level checked and is ok. Slight weeping noticed.
    Parts will be ordered from frf on Monday.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Little update . Angle gear is off the car , splines are fine . Collar is refusing to come off . I will carry on tomorrow .

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by antonys60r View Post
    Little update . Angle gear is off the car , splines are fine . Collar is refusing to come off . I will carry on tomorrow .
    this is how I recently got my collar off Antony, grind some slots in it and use a hub puller and a 32mm socket inside the collar to push against. It came off pretty smoothly, no evidence of epoxy on the splines some have and are tougher to come off apparently.

Last edited by stricky1967; Saturday 4th March 2017 at 21:26.

2003 V70R Titanium/Atacama

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stricky1967 For This Useful Post:

htomi (Sunday 5th March 2017)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. I have done exactly that and the collar is off. Splines on gearbox are fine , just the collar is worn . Time for reassembly.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quick update. Job is almost finished . Friends were round for dinner so had to stop early. New collar is on warmed up 1st as with vida instructions. The new collar went on a treat. I replaced the oil in the angle gear as it made perfect sense. All is back together just need to refit the drop link and brake disc and caliper, new driveshaft bolt then lower the car to the floor . Refilled the gearbox with fresh oil and job is finished. The job wasn't too bad just fiddly regarding the top bolt on the angle gear. I'll update again when the job is completely finished.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to antonys60r For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Monday 6th March 2017),Harvey (Sunday 12th March 2017),kmb (Monday 6th March 2017),stribo (Monday 6th March 2017)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The car is finished. All back together and now awd once more. New angle gear oil , gearbox oil and new engine oil and filter as well. No noise when I turn left or right. So happy days. Also I changed the gasket on the turbo return oil pipe. It made sense while the angle gear was off the car.
    Last edited by antonys60r; Monday 13th March 2017 at 07:31. Reason: Adding text

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antonys60r For This Useful Post:

htomi (Monday 13th March 2017),MoleT-5R (Sunday 12th March 2017)

Thread Information