Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

No oil pressure message v70 t5

Hi I have the " No oil pressure stop safely ASAP " coming on and off I called green flag when the mechanic arrived he checked everything and said that oil was being circulated to the camshaft so he thought it could be the oil pressure sensor at fault
    Does that make sense to you guys and is it a big job to change the sensor

Sent from my Harrier Tab from EE using Tapatalk

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    If it's the oil pressure switch it won't make it unsafe to drive. If the oil pressure switch is fine and you drive it you should hear a slight tapping after a couple of miles followed by a loud knocking, if you're a "hero" you'll make it home.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    If it's the oil pressure switch it won't make it unsafe to drive. If the oil pressure switch is fine and you drive it you should hear a slight tapping after a couple of miles followed by a loud knocking, if you're a "hero" you'll make it home.
    The car is at home and the garage is about 6 miles away should I drive there slowly ? As the mechanic from green flag said he could see the oil circulating to the cam

Last edited by SB101; Saturday 4th March 2017 at 21:45.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SB101 View Post
    The car is at home and the garage is about 6 miles away should I drive there slowly ? As the mechanic from green flag said he could see the oil circulating to the cam

Wow! He must have X-ray eyes then!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    He said he could see when he took the filler cap off

This user has no status
    Thanks
    But that doesn't help in the question would it be ok to drive to the garage 6 miles away and should that journey be done slowly as I am a complete novice when it comes to motoring issues

This user has no status

Thanks
    Slowly or not slowly it does not make any difference. Once the engine is running and without oil pressure (lubrication) you're taking a high risk to drive or even running the car.
    Get it towed to the garage.
    Last edited by htomi; Sunday 5th March 2017 at 10:40.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by htomi View Post
    Slowly or not slowly it does not make any difference. Your engine is running and without oil pressure (lubrication) you're taking a high risk to driver or even running the car.
    Get it towed to the garage.
    Thank you I'll get it towed let's hope it only the sensor

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Open the bonnet of your P2 T5 and remove the Oil filler cap. Can you see the camshaft or does your oil filler cap fill port have a strainer fitted, like my P2 does? If so, then you won't be able to see the camshafts, neither will you be able to see if the oil is circulating!!
    If, like Tim said, the switch is faulty then you'll be ok to drive the car. If it's not, then you won't make it to the garage - no matter how slowly you drive it! If your unsure then don't even start the car mate. Have the car recovered to the garage because once you cause even minor damage to the valve gear of a car, the damage cannot be undone.

The simplest thing to do would be to have a mobile mechanic (plenty of good ones out there) replace your oil pressure switch. Then see if the warning goes. You'll know pretty soon, after starting the car, if the oil pump is faulty because you'll still get the message and you'll start to get a slight tapping noise from the valve gear.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Open the bonnet of your P2 T5 and remove the Oil filler cap. Can you see the camshaft or does your oil filler cap fill port have a strainer fitted, like my P2 does? If so, then you won't be able to see the camshafts, neither will you be able to see if the oil is circulating!!
    If, like Tim said, the switch is faulty then you'll be ok to drive the car. If it's not, then you won't make it to the garage - no matter how slowly you drive it! If your unsure then don't even start the car mate. Have the car recovered to the garage because once you cause even minor damage to the valve gear of a car, the damage cannot be undone.

The simplest thing to do would be to have a mobile mechanic (plenty of good ones out there) replace your oil pressure switch. Then see if the warning goes. You'll know pretty soon, after starting the car, if the oil pump is faulty because you'll still get the message and you'll start to get a slight tapping noise from the valve gear.
    I can see the camshaft and there is oil circulating and the engine is running very smooth as always

This user has no status

Thanks
    It's your car, but I certainly won't play with this......

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SB101 View Post
    I can see the camshaft and there is oil circulating and the engine is running very smooth as always

Then your oil filler neck is not the same as my P2R.

If you're confident you can see oil being splashed lubricated and circulating over the camshafts and the noise of the cams is not increasing, then I'm with Tim on this one.

As Htomi says, it's your car, your the man on the ground and it's YOUR decision.

We are here to advise and none of us will accept responsibility for your car.

If you're confident it will be OK, then drive it to the garage. Otherwise, get it recovered!

The fact that you're asking advice on a forum tells me you should have it recovered and I wouldn't blame you either

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Then your oil filler neck is not the same as my P2R.

If you're confident you can see oil being splashed lubricated and circulating over the camshafts and the noise of the cams is not increasing, then I'm with Tim on this one.

As Htomi says, it's your car, your the man on the ground and it's YOUR decision.

We are here to advise and none of us will accept responsibility for your car.

If you're confident it will be OK, then drive it to the garage. Otherwise, get it recovered!

The fact that you're asking advice on a forum tells me you should have it recovered and I wouldn't blame you either
    Cheers mate for your advice you are completely right in what you and Tim say I will get it towed to the garage as I like the car too much to ruin it

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    Thank you Tim for sound advice I will get it towed to be on the safe side

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SB101 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Sunday 5th March 2017)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    To drive it to the garage is one question.
    The one question I would have is, Do you have any oil pressure the only way to find out is to get a oil pressure tester fitted to the electric oil sensor port on the engine,
    Then go from there , could be a O ring in the sump , pick up blocked , oil pump worn out or pressure release stuck open .
    At this point the engine is probably fine if you don't drive it. You need to know if you have any oil pressure.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    The plastic oil pressure relief valves can stick open, when they do you will still have some oil pressure but not sufficient to safely run the engine. The oil pressure switch thread size is very common (M14x1.5). If replacing the pressure switch with the correct one and the warning still shows don't rev the engine.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Sunday 5th March 2017)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It was the sensor that was at fault so all good after all 😁

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SB101 For This Useful Post:

Harvey (Monday 6th March 2017)

Thread Information