Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

3rd on auto box secret weapon?

Almost a new lease of life, never used the 3RD gear on my auto box until last night, civic Type R or lookalike, sat on my bumper for about 3 miles, I know the private road very well, and knew after the next bend, open flat "private" road for a good couple of miles!! I read early that day slapping the auto box into third was almost like kick down, so at the bend into 3rd just as I was coming out foot to floor, ££££e it pulled like never before, or at least felt like it, the civic was fading, now if that was me in the civic I would have backed off, no no no the next firking 30 zone and he is there!! sitting on my bumper. Now I have the tobar fitted to the car all the time just for if some plonker runs into the back of me! so I lightly braked !!!! again and again, still sat on my bumper, By this time I had slowed the car down to a crawl about 15-20mph, he indicated in and stopped never to be seen again.
    tw@t

This user has no status

Thanks
    Good man , keep these little civic mincers at bay! I like zooming up behind them then slamming on the brakes , stick on their tail and flash them, you can see them struggling to find their rizlas and gear ...... hehehe then I overtake them and wave..... ;-) I too have a white t5 estate

This user has no status
    Thanks

Angry

I think a firking hate vw pissat drivers more or firking renault legunas if I see one my blood boils specialy the estate version these tossers always want to race, Saab drivers are usually ok never had any problems with them, ohh and I almost forgot MGFs...... can't even start with these tw@ts.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_burdock
    I think a firking hate vw pissat drivers more or firking renault legunas if I see one my blood boils specialy the estate version these tossers always want to race, Saab drivers are usually ok never had any problems with them, ohh and I almost forgot MGFs...... can't even start with these tw@ts.
    VW Passats are very nice to drive, though, in the TDi format!

I wouldn't mind owning one!
    #

This user has no status
    Thanks

Cool

[QUOTE=dan_burdock]Almost a new lease of life, never used the 3RD gear on my auto box until last night, civic Type R or lookalike, sat on my bumper for about 3 miles, I know the private road very well, and knew after the next bend, open flat "private" road for a good couple of miles!! I read early that day slapping the auto box into third was almost like kick down, so at the bend into 3rd just as I was coming out foot to floor, ££££e it pulled like never before, or at least felt like it, the civic was fading,

I think they all missed the point about the auto mate...........................................
    Engineer

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_burdock
    I read early that day slapping the auto box into third was almost like kick down,
    No, Dan, the whole point of using 3rd. is that it's NOTHING like kickdown. Think about it; if you're in 'D' & floor it, the box will select '3' if you're doing less than about 100mph. This means that it'll take off like a scalded cat. When you ease off, the box will select '4' again, causing some loss of torque & possibly unbalancing the car (important if you're in a corner). If you've selected '3', none of this will happen & you can control the car on the throttle. I've got the 280BHP Rica & in Sport mode, '3' is good up to 110mph, which I suggest is ample for ANY corner, except maybe on the track. Added bonus, as you've found, is that by selecting '3', you've already got the revs up, so saving the slight delay using kickdown. I've probably only used kickdown once in the past year; I don't like it. Good observation & planning should make it unneccesary.
    Sorry, didn't mean to preach, but too many auto drivers don't appreciate the ability to use the box effectively.
    Cheers, Chris.

2 Kings 9.20

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskay
    No, Dan, the whole point of using 3rd. is that it's NOTHING like kickdown. Think about it; if you're in 'D' & floor it, the box will select '3' if you're doing less than about 100mph. This means that it'll take off like a scalded cat. When you ease off, the box will select '4' again, causing some loss of torque & possibly unbalancing the car (important if you're in a corner). If you've selected '3', none of this will happen & you can control the car on the throttle. I've got the 280BHP Rica & in Sport mode, '3' is good up to 110mph, which I suggest is ample for ANY corner, except maybe on the track. Added bonus, as you've found, is that by selecting '3', you've already got the revs up, so saving the slight delay using kickdown. I've probably only used kickdown once in the past year; I don't like it. Good observation & planning should make it unneccesary.
    Sorry, didn't mean to preach, but too many auto drivers don't appreciate the ability to use the box effectively.
    Cheers, Chris.

Listen and learn boys! I've been making use oft the "3" setting lately and it's really useful to inhibit the autobox changing up before/during corners and when I want to make a hasty getaway. I often use a stretch of dual carriageway near to me that you join from a roundabout controlled by traffic lights and is the perfect place to use the 3 setting. Coming onto it from 6 o’ clock and turning right I left it in D and followed a Mini Cooper round who stayed in the right hand lane as he joined the dual carriageway. As I gained on him he moved over but kept it planted and by this point the T5 is in 4th and ambles past Miniman at a rather unremarkable rate, I had to rudely awaken the T5 by mashing my foot to the floor and invoking some rather undignified kickdown. However a few days later I find myself in the same position only this time with “3” selected and some nondescript noddy car in place of the Mini, using the patented "chriskay" method the result is a great victory for the T5.
    James

T5 gone!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ...if your gonna start wigglin' the stick around then just get a manual

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas
    ...if your gonna start wigglin' the stick around then just get a manual
    No clutch = hassle free traffic jams.
    #

This user has no status
    Thanks
    don't you find your left foot goes to sleep ?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas
    don't you find your left foot goes to sleep ?
    Left foot = braking

Right foot = accelerator

:>

Don't worry, I drive manual now!
    #

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S60D5
    Left foot = braking

Right foot = accelerator

:>

Don't worry, I drive manual now!

I personally drive using my right foot for both pedals, Darren uses both because his right leg is twice as long as his left leg and he can't move it over the brake in time. My left leg doesn't ever go to sleep! Besides on a long journey in a manual you will be doing long stretches without using your left leg, unless you in something like a Daewoo Matiz in which case you need to be in 1st to overtake anything.

I actually think I prefer automatic but it probably depends on the car, I recently drove a neighbours E240 Merc auto and it was pretty boring and sluggish!
    James

T5 gone!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    First time i ever tried left foot braking i was doing about 30, nearly put everyone through the windscreen, as i forgot i was driving a auto and hit the clutch pedal which was the brake
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboT5
    Darren uses both because his right leg is twice as long as his left leg and he can't move it over the brake in time.

LOL.
    #

This user has no status
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by siamblue
    First time i ever tried left foot braking i was doing about 30, nearly put everyone through the windscreen, as i forgot i was driving a auto and hit the clutch pedal which was the brake
    "Some people you just can't reach". LOL
    Engineer

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer
    "Some people you just can't reach". LOL
    I'll stick to me manual now lol. It was funny though

This user has no status
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by siamblue
    I'll stick to me manual now lol. It was funny though
    Is that the Haynes manual. LOL
    Engineer

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer
    Is that the Haynes manual. LOL
    Nah mate me Santa & elves manual

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I used to be able to heel and toe with my old C70 T5 auto.

Knock it down to 3 or 2 and there was a slight delay giving just enough time to "blip" the throttle!

Great for corners.
    '96 855 T5 auto ...GT30 and everything uprated!

This user has no status
    Thanks

Red face

Been using the third all weekend, great in cold morning makes the turbo whistle!! Wife can't see the point, been doin 90 and slapped it in foot flat and whoosh engine is definately more repsponsive.
    Still wish it was manual!!!
    Dan

Thread Information