Join Today
    Bored it now need to build
    it...
    Thanks

What clutch are you using??

Morning all
    Following on from my other post about a probable slipping clutch (already grr!) I was wondering if people could post what brand/model clutch they are using and their basic performance stage/tune etc?? Would be very helpful to know what people are using as I do not intend to strip a 3rd clutch! I was using an (apparently) 850r bought from volvo but slips at motorway speeds, 10k miles in on what I believe to be a stage 1 or close tune driven gently would have thought even a stock T5 clutch should hold that.

Thanks everyone!

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    It should. An original R clutch should be fine up-to about 350 bhp & 400nm. You need to be looking at what's wrong with the MAP &/or hardware in your car before replacing the clutch.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

Bigsi15 (Thursday 16th February 2017)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I run an S60R cover with one of my discs as does Tingy, Redbrick and and a couple of dozen STs. Chris uses a DMF and an S70R cover and disc. Ryan runs a small spline M56 with an 850 flywheel and 850R cover with one of my discs as he had slippage after 20k on an 850R disc.

Any organic disc used with an 850R cover will last less time than with all other Volvo turbo covers due to the reduced surface area.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

it...
    Thanks
    Thanks shinsplintz agreed!!

Tim thanks for that info very helpful one of your discs sounds like the way to go. Will the s60r cover fit direct to a single mass 850 flywheel?? Also do you do discs for each spline size m56??

Thanks guys!

it...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
    It should. An original R clutch should be fine up-to about 350 bhp & 400nm. You need to be looking at what's wrong with the MAP &/or hardware in your car before replacing the clutch.
    Interesting point you bring up, a few people have mentioned the map, would that really make that much difference on the clutch? It does build boost quite aggressively even with the wastegate wound back a bit as Tim suggested reaching about one bar by 2800-3000 rpm. If you accelerate gradually it does seem to aid the clutch in gripping more than if you just plant your foot.

Thanks

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    If you're using an M56 you need to use a cover for that box, if you use a factory SMF you need a cover for that flywheel. The most I've had run with one of my discs and an 850 cover is 585Nm, I don't know how long it would last at that level as the car was scrapped after about 5k.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

it...
    Thanks
    Thanks Tim, although I'm not completely sure I fully understand what you're saying. Sorry for the noob question but would you mind clarifying a little bit more for me by example? by cover do you mean the pressure plate??
    And when you say cover for that box or that flywheel do you mean for example an m56 from an 850 would need an 850 pressure plate whereas an m56 from the early p2 cars would need a pressure plate from a p2? Does that also mean an s60r pressure plate wouldn't fit an 850 flywheel due to the s60 using a dmf?

Basically can I use a setup like yours with the s60r pressure plate on your disc on my singlemass flywheel with an 850 m56 box or do I need an s60r box too??

Thanks!

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    In essence no.

The cover/ pressure plate must be for that type of flywheel.

The disc, the thingy with the splined hole must have the correct size hole for the gearbox.

You would want to keep your flywheel and have a new 850R COVER and unrated DISC.

if you have suspected play in your gearbox you will be best to fit an M56 with an internal slave cylinder from a newer P1 car.

If you check your CV joints for play then you don't need to check the gearbox/diff as you will find that hard to do.

You're not a pain, you just need a 5 minute a day internet limit lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

it...
    Thanks
    Haha thanks tim, might give you a ring tomorrow if that's ok as can probably sort all these queries in 5 minutes by phone. Failing that, keep my flywheel, 850r pressure plate, one of your uprated discs splined to fit either my m56 (if can pin point the noise to a driveshaft) or a newer internal slaved m56 if probably the box making noise and decide to change it?

Thanks matey!

Thread Information