Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch slip

Bored it now need to build
    it...
    Thanks
    Thanks dude il take a god look at that too when I get the chance, they probably need replacing too but money isn't going to allow that!
    Will see if I can motivate myself to strip it all down and see how it looks in there at some point soon (sighs)

Can you incorrectly fit a clutch? I mean from what Haynes said and I read you just bolt it all on lol, no measuring spacers or anything. Do the discs fit either way round?? That's the only thing I can think I may have not done right (although it looked pretty symmetrical). Would have thought anything loose or incorrectly fitted would cause a lot of noise or shifting problems though

Thanks again everyone!

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    If the last two pages have taught me anything it's if you're unsure you will ask... Assuming you didn't wash the disc in oil before fitting you could of fitted it the wrong way around in which case you would of possibly noticed you cannot disengage drive when the pedal is pressed.

it...
    Thanks
    Haha yeah sorry tim your probably sick of all this, I do really appreciate all the help from you guys though a lot of it is confidence and reassurance as although mechanically minded these bigger jobs are not ones I'm very experienced in and I love my car so would hate to do something wrong and damage it. I do love the technical side of it all though. My Volvo knowledge base is rapidly growing

Lol no no oil on assembly just clean and bolted down as per Haynes! I did jet wash around under the car the other week at work but I can't imagine that would cause long lasting issues with the clutch once it had dried (if it even got wet in there)
    Last edited by Bigsi15; Thursday 16th February 2017 at 10:01.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    If the last two pages have taught me anything it's if you're unsure you will ask... Assuming you didn't wash the disc in oil before fitting you could of fitted it the wrong way around in which case you would of possibly noticed you cannot disengage drive when the pedal is pressed.

God I love your humour Tim.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post

God I love your humour Tim.

I have a lot of special customers, some even more special than others.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    That's not how you spell speshul

it...
    Thanks
    Ok plot thickens maybe... spoke to superchips who I believed did the tune on this ECU and they reported if they did it there should be a chip sold inside with their logo on. I opened it up and there is nothing apparently different to it which suggests this may be a different Tune. Is there any way of easily checking an ECU to see what tune has been put on it? Might be it's a stage two style tune rather than what I believed was a stage one which could be why my clutch slips
    That being said it doesn't boost beyond one bar, doesn't hesitate, runs very smoothly and maintains a good if not better than stock mpg. I'm still on the 15 G turbo with stock exhaust so I can't imagine I'm going to put out much more than 250 hp regardless of the tune?

Either way I need to go and get this checked to make sure AFR is okay Etc
    Last edited by Bigsi15; Thursday 16th February 2017 at 19:18.

it...
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_3474.JPG
Views: 0
Size:  93.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3475.JPG
Size:  95.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3476.JPG
Size:  105.7 KB

This is what came with my brother's car (with that Tuned ecu). A friend of mine seems to think this may link to a company called HLM tuning and may possibly be a rica tune?

Personally I wouldn't have a clue! Anyone else out there with more expertise recognise this??

Thanks again guys your Awsome!

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    It doesn't matter what it is, you know it isn't what you were told so how do you know the graph is for that ECU?

Personally I think people are bat cr*p crazy to fit an unknown ECU. You'd be horrified if a mapper remapped your car without checking for knock and suitable fueling wouldn't you? Most bent conrods in 850s are as a result of knock, these are the lucky ones, some melt pistons.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Thursday 16th February 2017)

it...
    Thanks
    Yeah agree, I have returned to stock for now again. Will chat to you directly about your tunes if you offer basic stage 1 style ones as much rather leave my car in your experienced hands!!

Thanks
    Last edited by Bigsi15; Thursday 16th February 2017 at 21:31.

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    It doesn't matter what it is, you know it isn't what you were told so how do you know the graph is for that ECU?
    You mean my 850TDi may not be making 500bhp?

Name:  TTRSDyno-500.jpg
Size:  147.4 KB

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

Bigsi15 (Friday 17th February 2017),MoleT-5R (Friday 17th February 2017)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsi15 View Post
    Yeah agree, I have returned to stock for now again. Will chat to you directly about your tunes if you offer basic stage 1 style ones as much rather leave my car in your experienced hands!!

Thanks
    Does this standard ecu also slip with a bit of spirited driving now that you have put it back in, also it may be worth checking the part numbers on your clutch next time you have it apart, just to make sure you where supplied the right one by Volvo in the first place...??

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

it...
    Thanks
    No interestingly all is well on stock, I have spoken to volvo to get the part numbers as I was thinking exactly along the lines you were too but I was supplied pn 272218 which I believe is a kit for an r. The disc certainly looked different. Still odd though but maybe this map is just not quite right

Thanks

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    What happens if you do a hard launch now it's stock?

Would have thought it would still slip a bit if it was worn

it...
    Thanks
    Haven't actually tried a hard launch tbh but it is certainly ok at motorway speeds. Oddly the other map didn't seem to give much in the sense of slippage at launch just went or span the wheels it was only in the higher gears I noticed it

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    This is what I've been running for the last few years, the flywheel looked to be in good condition for the 270,000 miles it had covered and was fitted with an 850R clutch plate and an up-rated Sach's cover which certainly is more than up to the job, I was running a Hlm304 to start with and later an unknown map (yes Tim will hate that...and rightly so) which is far more aggressive, with all the drag starts and spirited driving it's never slipped yet. I did fit an internal slave cylinder at the same time, but as for pedal pressure, its heavy but tolerable.

The standard clutch and driven plate on the left and the new ones on the right, these were second hand from another vpc member but still had plenty of life left in them and still performing well
    Last edited by MoleT-5R; Friday 17th February 2017 at 17:06. Reason: extra word ???

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

Bigsi15 (Friday 17th February 2017)

it...
    Thanks
    Thanks mole very interesting especially to see them compared. What Sachs cover do you use? Iv read about uprated ones but they needed new holes cutting in the flywheel which is a no for me.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsi15 View Post
    Thanks mole very interesting especially to see them compared. What Sachs cover do you use? Iv read about uprated ones but they needed new holes cutting in the flywheel which is a no for me.
    That one is a straight bolt on job for an 850 flywheel, no mods necessary, I'll see if I can get the part no. off of the pictures

it...
    Thanks
    Thanks buddy
    For interest it seems some more digging with my brother has shown more paperwork on what the tune was. A rica 340 (although I thought there was only a 304..?). Sadly from the dreaded hlm/chip tuning bunch. Question is was this done when they were supplying real rica tunes or their 'own' rica tunes... have to be fair to them though despite being years old it runs very well in the car so far as reliability etc goes.

Anyone got much experience with these rica tunes? Still shouldn't slip a clutch surely! Will probably sick with my stock ecu anyway for now but would be interested to know

Name:  IMG_4063.JPG
Size:  143.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_4064.JPG
Size:  129.6 KB

Thread Information