Join Today

Thread: Future Value

This user has no status

Thanks

Future Value

I think this is the year when I change cars. I've had my silver 2004 S60R manual for 5 years now, she's racked up some miles and with a new baby arriving late last year I'm feeling the need to change.
    Do my question is with the rarity of these cars do you see them going up in value as the years pass? I don't particularly need the cash that the Volvo will fetch to get something new and I can probably garage it, do what do you reckon, worth keeping for another 5 years?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Probably not going to go up really in five years, Fella.

Plus, cars like this REALLY don't like being laid up for extended periods.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post

Wishful thinking then.
    My first car 20 years ago was a Mk1 Astra SR, then I had a Mk1 GTE.... Should of kept that one!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post

Totally disagree (no offence )

If you can garage your car in a dry garage where you don't store food (you don't want to attract mice), cover it with a car cover and raise each corner of the car off the deck so the tyres are not in contact with the ground then I would definitely do it!

Your car will not go down in value if you're not piling on the miles. These cars are getting rarer and rarer. Many are killed by failing gearboxes and stripped for parts. The reality is your car is worth much more in parts...the engine alone is £1500 (without all the ancillaries attached). If it's in great condition with no major woes then I'd hang on to it if you can. I believe your car will be worth more in 5 years as in 5 years time, a few more S60R's will have been smashed up, scrapped, deported for parts in Estonia etc, etc.

Prepping it for storage is simple too;

Good wash, dry, polish and wax.
    Oil change inc filter
    flush brake/clutch fluid and refill with synthetic fluid (less likely to absorb moisture over time)
    Raise car so tyres do not touch ground - but do not allow shocks to hang (keep weight of car on them)
    Drop windows 1" all round to ensure good ventilation.
    Do not disconnect battery! You need to get a battery maintainer and keep it permanently fitted and switched 'on'. (This will ensure battery does not sulphate)
    Periodically start the engine and allow it to get up to full temperature, hot air, Cooling fans on, run aircon too, turn steering lock to lock a few times and press brake pedal a few times. This can be done once a month and will keep everything unseized and moving.
    Ensure car has a Brimmed tank of fuel whilst in storage to prevent moisture build up in the fuel tank. (Top up when necessary from a fuel can)
    Finally, cover with a good quality car cover (not a cheap plastic dust sheet). This will allow the paint to breath and stop the buildup of mold and mildew.

Ensure garage is well ventilated but not cold and damp.
    No need to lock the car if it's in a secure garage
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Sunday 12th February 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Unless the mileage is low, the current sale value is not in your favour. Also keep in mind the world is heading towards emission reduction, hybrid and pure electric cars, which means in few years these rare cars might be banned even from road use. I'm not saying that's going to happen for sure, but certainly a possibility. I would use it or loose it.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by htomi View Post
    Also keep in mind the world is heading towards emission reduction, hybrid and pure electric cars, which means in few years these rare cars might be banned even from road use.
    Let's hope that doesn't happen too immediately.... I'm looking at a 5.0 V8 for my next car!
    Tough to know what to do with the Volvo though still

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    is it worth it, how much will maintenance, MOT, tax, insurance, storage cost you over 5 years..? A decent storage place for me is near a grand a year, say a few hundred quid more to keep it in reasonable shape and legal to use....1500 quid a year?

Whenever I do the maths on keeping a car for profit it just doesn't seem worthwhile to me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    ...No need to lock the car if it's in a secure garage
    that last point helps to reduce the damage if your car is nicked from secure storage happened to me a couple of years ago

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    that last point helps to reduce the damage if your car is nicked from secure storage happened to me a couple of years ago
    Only matters if you are lucky enough to see it again

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Only matters if you are lucky enough to see it again
    very true ....maybe I should have added a tracker subscription to my sums above

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    I've got 3 p2r's, there is always a job or 3 that need doing, working on these yourself at home saves a good deal and helps and makes them more affordable.

Mine don't move very often, however I'm now doing about 500 to 1000 miles a year in the sonic and the magic blue now to keep them active.

1 or 2 will be going this year to make room for a new car, I'll keep the magic blue though 76k two owners and full history, reasonably spec'd. I think out of all of them that will be the one to keep.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by htomi View Post
    Also keep in mind the world is heading towards emission reduction, hybrid and pure electric cars, which means in few years these rare cars might be banned even from road use. I'm not saying that's going to happen for sure, but certainly a possibility. I would use it or lose it.
    I think you're panicking the flock by saying things like that! Let's be realistic...Banned in a few years! Seriously? I don't think so. Yes, we all know the world is an ever changing place but governments and manufacturers the world over have been at loggerheads over emissions for over 60 years and it's such a slow and painfully expensive business that I'm pretty sure we're all safe for at least the next two generations before they start banning particular makes and models from the roads.
    America has some of the tightest emission regulations in the world and they all still drive V8's MORE than Hybrids.
    The infrastructure to support electric cars just isn't big enough for even 10% of the world's population to own an electric car.
    With the US, Europe and China selling just over half a million electric cars each in 2016 alone, we, the UK is one of the lowest sales of electric cars with less than 92,000 in 2016! That's not going to change any time soon because the UK does not have the billions of £'s required to build the infrastructure to support electric vehicles on a national scale. Plus, who want's a Toyota Prius or a Nissan Leaf anyway! Until Manufactures make them more attractive to own/look at and live with, not to mention reducing the initial cost of buying one, the UK will be very, very slow on the uptake and we certainly won't see cars banned from the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    is it worth it, how much will maintenance, MOT, tax, insurance, storage cost you over 5 years..? A decent storage place for me is near a grand a year, say a few hundred quid more to keep it in reasonable shape and legal to use....1500 quid a year?

Whenever I do the maths on keeping a car for profit it just doesn't seem worthwhile to me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong

You won't have to pay Tax, insurance, MOT nor maintenance once you declare it SORN and it doesn't have to be legal to use because you won't be driving it off your property or from storage. So you're £1500 is more like £500 max (much less if it's on your own property).
    Maintenance and prep is done before hand then you keep it free from seizing by following the simple steps i mentioned. Not forgetting to ensure the handbrake is left 'OFF'!

An insulated garage/dry workshop is best.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 13th February 2017 at 18:51.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Monday 13th February 2017)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Combining the info in the below two links gives the following countries have some of the highest rates of vehicle ownership:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nited_Nations)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...les_per_capita

USA, China, Japan, Brazil, Germany, Russia, Italy, France, Mexico, UK, Spain, Canada, India, Poland, Turkey, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Iran, Thailand.

Some of those counties, yes I can see hybrid/electric vehicles taking off...but not all

The country I am working in at the moment has a population of approx 180 million & doesn't appear to have reached even our 1992 levels of emission control regs

You won't have to pay Tax, insurance, MOT nor maintenance once you declare it SORN and it doesn't have to be legal to use because you won't be driving it off your property or from storage. So you're £1500 is more like £500 max (much less if it's on your own property).
    Maintenance and prep is done before hand then you keep it free from seizing by following the simple steps i mentioned. Not forgetting to ensure the handbrake is left 'OFF'!

An insulated garage/dry workshop is best.
    fair do's but I am approaching this from having no secure storage space of my own. & if a car hasn't been used or maintained for the past 5 years I would be disinclined to buy it for top dollar...which is what these questuaries expect - bugger all outlay, maximum return!
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Monday 13th February 2017 at 19:49.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'd like to make it clear, I certainly don't want these cars to be banned from the road. I would be really & but it can happen.....

I agree, 5 years is a bit unrealistic number. Also I said might be banned - so it means to me: one of the many alternatives of the unknown future.
    Anyway...

Read some news and read within the lines.... I'm going to pick few things.... and you guys can call me paranoid

Not long ago, Norway and Germany announced their plans, from 2022/25 onwards consumers won't be able to purchase brand new petrol or diesel operated passenger cars. Only pure electric and hybrids would be available. Can't recall what has been mentioned regards, existing cars, but sure as hell they have something in their minds and it won't be too popular...
    For me its a premonitory sign of a new era which already started banging on our door..... Plans aren't announced without reasons....and without having additional plans to make them reality....

Today many big cities have congestion charges and there are few others who went even further and introduced Limited Traffic Zones.... Would you think its going to stop here?

I agree, today it is certainly expensive to produce and own an electric car.
    Also it has certain limitations and require infrastructure to be built around, but tomorrow might be cheaper and affordable, especially if produced faster and in mass volume.

Running scientific researches/ projects to find an alternative ways to store electricity in less space, alternative charging systems (ex built into the roads), faster re-charging and plenty of more.

Just think about it, would any of the existing car manufacturers invest trillions of $ into something with high risk and only long term (generations) return.... I don't think so.....

Keep in mind the technical revolution isn't linear it's exponential. 'Yesterday' we had horses, Today we have cars, Tomorrow - who knows.... ( I'll have my R )
    Last edited by htomi; Tuesday 14th February 2017 at 22:13.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    FACT:

Manufacturers don't want to make electric cars. Why? They are very expensive to make and current limitations on mileage between charging, etc etc make them very unpopular. So it's a lose, lose situation for the Manufacturers.

I think you're being a little paranoid. You'll not see cars banned from the roads in your lifetime.

This user has no status

Thanks
    FACT:

Manufacturers don't want to make electric cars. Why? They are very expensive to make and current limitations on mileage between charging, etc etc make them very unpopular. So it's a lose, lose situation for the Manufacturers.
    hmmm.....
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/porsch...come-in-2020-1

http://www.mercedes-benz.ie/content/...ric_drive.html

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/pari...-electric-2019

https://myelectriccar.com.au/volvo-goes-electric/

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    It's an interesting topic to be fair..& a complex one.

Electric cars are here to stay. The technology will develop to make them more user friendly & practical for day to day use (including infrastructure).

Manufacturers will make whatever people buy. You can hardly call electric cars cheap,, so they are certainly planning on (& implementing) passing the cost of the new technology to the consumer. As long as they make the required profit margin & sales I suspect they won't care whether we buy combustion engine cars or electric. Business is business.

The rub will come, as it always does, regarding taxes & how much money the state generates from them. Right now the exchequer reaps in huge revenues from petrol/diesel sales. If the growth in electric cars starts eating into them then you can bet your bottom dollar that the current grant system & road tax benefits for "Clean" motoring will disappear like the steam off your piss on a cold winters morning (apologies for the crap simile - I'm unlikely to be put forward as the next Poet Laurette lol). They'll become as expensive to run, if not more so, than the gas guzzlers they've been brought in to replace. Then there's the small matter of providing the vast uplift in electric, to power the new wave of planet saving vehicles of the future.....oh dear, another can of worms

As the Chinese say - as a blessing & a curse - may you live in interesting times.....

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

htomi (Thursday 16th February 2017),jamesy12345 (Wednesday 15th February 2017)

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    With regards the OP....drive it if you can, store it if you can't, but can afford the exorbitant rates of dry space. Sell if if you can't do either of the above. Sorry if that sounds like stating the obvious!

It'll unlikely see you a great return whatever you choose. It's a turbo charged volvo car after all. They're supposed to cost us money, time & sanity. Where would the fun be otherwise

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Wednesday 15th February 2017),htomi (Thursday 16th February 2017),LeeT5 (Saturday 18th February 2017)

Thread Information