Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Difference between b230fk and b230ft pistons.

Good day.
    Ive searched the web trying to find out, but have yet to get a definite answer.

What is the difference? Does the ft piston have a larger "bowl." to reduce compression? I can get my hands on some second hand ft pistons but need to know if they are the same.

Many thanks
    Marius.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bird is the word!
    Thanks
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the pistons and internals are mostly identical on the b230ft/fk? They both have the same 13c turbo but The only real difference is the actuator. One set at 4psi and the other at 7/9psi? A manual boost controller or bleed valve can see the 13c push to 11/12psi reliably.

The b230ET engines were different, some of the ET versions have thinner rods, not sure what year had the thinner rods or whether the pistons themselves were different.

This user has no status

Thanks
    After many months and lots of blood, sweat and tears the old lady is running. Had to import an engine through a local imported.
    Running great with boost turned up to about 11psi and 2.5in exhaust Can get my hands on a 19t. Guess I'll have to look at bigger injectors and chips if I want to boost past 14pso with that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by louw78 View Post
    After many months and lots of blood, sweat and tears the old lady is running. Had to import an engine through a local imported.
    Running great with boost turned up to about 11psi and 2.5in exhaust Can get my hands on a 19t. Guess I'll have to look at bigger injectors and chips if I want to boost past 14pso with that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can help with chips when you need them.
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

Trader
    just volvos
    Thanks
    FT and FK pistons are identical

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had the 944 2 litre turbo Wentworth model 1991 with the FT engine and when purchased at a cheap price as it had piston slap quite badly...

I used STP in the oil and nothing would cure it only slightly dull it if really thrashed as the engine ran hotter.

I was living in Somerset at the time and decided i wanted a replacement engine so went to Volvo Taunton and they refitted the brand new one for £2000 all in. This was around 2002.

I was told that the pistons on my knackered engine were the short skirt type and Volvo had progressed to a longer skirt to stop the excess wear or slap later on adding a rail in the engine which squirted oil on to cool the skirt also.

I ran 14psi with no ill effect and it was quite rapid except the drive gave a sort of elastic band feeling just like on the Lotus Elan because of flexible drive donuts. It may of been due to the centre rubber bearing on the Volvo??

Engine cut out was at 15psi and was controlled by a fuel cut and not directly by the ECU....so i don`t know how one would go to remove that?...i didn`t bother as i was happy with it as was.

Hope this helps?

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Thread Information