Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

K24 Turbo billet wheel

I've just received my a used K24 Turbo with billet wheel seeing that the seals have gone on my K24. This was a bargain so i couldn't say no!

Turbo is in good condition. Now I have a spare k24 turbo which I can send off in the future to hybrid with k26 billet wheel, uprated 360 bearing and k26 turbine while etc...

Here are some photos

This is normal to have crack, correct?

Sunny T5
    Thanks
    I don't think the crack is normal.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yes,
    It's normal for the exhaust housing to be cracked on all K24s.
    It's also normal for any company who is refurbishing the turbo to say "we cannot provide a warranty on a cracked turbo so we will not work on it"

That is what you are up against. They may ask you to buy a new turbo. That's what happened to me. Good luck.

Sunny T5
    Thanks
    A crack might be common, but that doesn't make it normal!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The White Knight For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Friday 3rd February 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'm still not sure if i'm going to install turbo myself, never done it before but i'll always give it ago.

If i do it myself what will need replacing?

downpipe gasket - 8642449

coolant pipe gasket - 1236119

turbo manifold gasket - 8642449

oil line gasket - 30650296 and 31251456

oil gasket lower - 31251439 / 947282

lock nut - 977209

manifold stud - 1336261

Is there anything i'm missing?

I've already got Engine Oil and Coolant.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight View Post
    A crack might be common, but that doesn't make it normal!
    Our Colin (Claymore) had my cracked 15g housing and used it and reckoned it was better than the one he had one the car before, but I honestly don't think I've seen an exhaust housing that doesn't have some exhaust housing cracking.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    They are prone to cracking there on the casting line but far from all of them crack. Excessive heat seems to be the main cause of them cracking, a poor remap with a standard intercooler and exhaust are about the best ways to crack them. once the crack goes through to the side facing the turbine wheel it WILL give reduced performance as gas will have a free path bypassing the turbine wheel.

The first place to look at once they crack is the the sealing area for the wastegate flap, if it's darkened one side of the crack it's scrap as the wastegate won't seal. If it's the same both sides of the crack it doesn't mean it be worth fitting as it may only last a very short time.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

htomi (Friday 3rd February 2017),LeeT5 (Friday 3rd February 2017),MoleT-5R (Friday 3rd February 2017),Ric@rdo (Friday 3rd February 2017)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    They are prone to cracking there on the casting line but far from all of them crack. Excessive heat seems to be the main cause of them cracking, a poor remap with a standard intercooler and exhaust are about the best ways to crack them. once the crack goes through to the side facing the turbine wheel it WILL give reduced performance as gas will have a free path bypassing the turbine wheel.

The first place to look at once they crack is the the sealing area for the wastegate flap, if it's darkened one side of the crack it's scrap as the wastegate won't seal. If it's the same both sides of the crack it doesn't mean it be worth fitting as it may only last a very short time.
    so exhaust gas temperature monitoring would be a good idea as well as the all important afr's

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    so exhaust gas temperature monitoring would be a good idea as well as the all important afr's

Monitoring EGTs is great for mapping to determine the maximum boost at a given RPM, not much need to monitor if you have decent knock control and either can see your fueling or have Wideband fueling control. You can get the White blocks to over 1000c with no long term damage If good hardware is used, poor hardware and if you're lucky you'll just get the Cavelli syndrome.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Saturday 4th February 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had ago of fitting the turbo myself but I couldn't get to a bolt on manifold.

So seeing I brought the Turbo from Shem. I went to Shemtek Automotive to get it installed. A very long day!

Left at 5am to get there around 9ish and didn't finish till 7:30pm and I got home around 11ish... But apart from that I'm happy with the install and top blokes over there.

The turbo sounds amazing and is getting re-tuned from Gustav (contrast) but I've now got an issue which I'm led to believe it's the PCV.

Since the turbo has been installed, I've must of driven about 300 miles and has been fine but one day i put my foot down from 2nd to 3rd. I loss power but power came back on and then few minutes later i got a lot of white smoke...

I pulled over quickly and there was oil everywhere in engine bay... I was able to drive home safetly and i've checked around engine. I can't find any leaks, checked oil return etc.. all seems fine. I've done an oil change and car seems to be driving okish and boosting fine but now again I do get like a burning smell through vents and blue smoke from exhaust.

I've been told this could be too much pressure in PCV as could be clogged up and oil leaked out of seal.

I've just ordered all parts to replace PCV and new style bonjo bolts.

Thread Information