Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

2000 volvo s40. Usa so it's a t3. Not t4

Hey U.K. Volvo guys. I have a 2000 s40 hear in the USA. I've put on an intake and modded the exhaust slightly. What do you guys recommend to give her a little more pop? Thanks! I do have a lightened crank pulley but it has not been installed. I'm worried it will kill my motor.

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Is it a 1.9 or 2.0?

The 1.9 is the stronger engine and apparently the standard ecu copes quite well to a manual boost controller.
    You must fit a boost guage though and not get carried away.

Don't understand why the crank pulley would kill your engine?

Welcome along by the way

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    Is it a 1.9 or 2.0?

The 1.9 is the stronger engine and apparently the standard ecu copes quite well to a manual boost controller.

Welcome along by the way
    Some think the lack of a harmonic damper can damage the crank, I could see it happening with some VW cranks but a White Block crank's a little bit stronger lol.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    Is it a 1.9 or 2.0?

Welcome along by the way
    I have the 1.9. its labeled a 1.9 in the states. i think the real displacement is 1.985. its a b4204 engine i believe. should also mention its an automatic

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have the 1.9. its labeled a 1.9 in the states. i think the real displacement is 1.985. its a b4204 engine i believe. should also mention its an automatic

This user has no status

Thanks
    by the way. i really wish there were aftermarket cams or a cam swap from another model available. i used to have an old chevy 350 small block and throwing a cam in that motor made a serious difference

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    It is possible to swap in cams from a N/A engine.

There's been much debate about it over the years, but I have them in my T5 and I like them.
    They take a bit of setting up, but can be done.

Google is your friend in this case, I seem to remember a change from hydraulic lifters to solid on the T4 and cams from the two aren't interchangeable

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    You can get cams for the T4 or get them reground. I've fitted reground ones before, with a suitable sized turbo the cams on their own will give an extra 2000+RPM at the top end. A GT30 and 1mm higher lift cams and they can pull cleanly to over 10k. With a 19T or K24 you're looking at about 8.5k.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    You can get cams for the T4 or get them reground. I've fitted reground ones before, with a suitable sized turbo the cams on their own will give an extra 2000+RPM at the top end. A GT30 and 1mm higher lift cams and they can pull cleanly to over 10k. With a 19T or K24 you're looking at about 8.5k.
    so the T4 from europe and the T3 or T2 or whatever it is in the US has different cams?

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    In the U.K. The only turbo ones we got were 2.0T LPT and T4. The 2.0 T is 83mm bore and the early T4 was 81mm, the later T4 83mm bore. I think in the USA your T4 with an 83mm bore was the same as our 2.0T.

I was referring to after market cams not using a different Volvo cam as an upgrade.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    In the U.K. The only turbo ones we got were 2.0T LPT and T4. The 2.0 T is 83mm bore and the early T4 was 81mm, the later T4 83mm bore. I think in the USA your T4 with an 83mm bore was the same as our 2.0T.

I was referring to after market cams not using a different Volvo cam as an upgrade.
    I have looked around but i havent found any company that makes an aftermarket cam for a 2000 s40. know of any?

Thread Information