Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Fitting BC Racing coilovers to V70?

My V70 T5 needs a suspension overhaul. It had Meyle HD shocks and springs at the back last year (or was it the year before?) but the rest of it is very tired, clonky and squeeky.

I've never considered coilovers because it's not something I need and I know a good set costs a pretty penny. But then I heard people raving about the BC Racing stuff and had a look, and that got me thinking..........Larkspeed are advertising the BR Type RA set for £755*, and BC Racing tout them as being a direct fit. BUt what I really need to know is, is there anything else I'd need to supplement the kit with when fitting? Does the BC kit completely replace the stock spring seat and top mount bearing/plate at the front (it looks like it does)? What about the back, would I retain the stock top mount or does the BC kit come with a replacement?

I really need to know so I can properly assess the full cost, because it kind of looks like a set of these are barely any more expensive than replacing the whole lot** with either stock parts or something like a Billy B4 and Eibach combo (with new top mounts etc).

*By comparison, Larkspeed offer B4s and Eibach Pro-kit springs for £530, then I've got to get new spring seats and top mounts which IIRC is getting on for another £180ish
    **By whole lot I'm referring to shocks, springs, spring seats, top mount bearings, bolts and any other sundries involved in replacing the shocks and springs. I'm not meaning stuff like wishbone bushes and balljoints etc.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

This user has no status

Thanks
    I would suggest to take a look at the skandix.de site and also the http://www.autoersatzteile.de/ sites. Both usually cheaper than Uk suppliers.

Suspension overhaul: depends what you'd like to achieve, ex firm ride, lowering the car, precise handling and longevity or combination of these.
    IMHO the coilovers are usually good and have the advantage to further tweak their settings , however I would still put my vote for the Bilstein.

B4 is at the bottom of the range, gives you some improvements and slightly stiffer vs the factory (sachs/boge). It is considered to be a touring version and recommended to be used with factory springs.
    B6 is the next step, increased stiffness over the B4 but still comfortable. It is rated between the sport and touring version. Recommended to be used with factory springs.
    B8 as you may expect has slightly increased stiffness over the B6. It is definitely a sport version. Also to achieve the best results, recommended to be used with lowering springs.

I have the B6 (fronts) on my R with factory springs and love them. It gives a perfect balance between firm ride with precise handling and comfort. The B8 would have been too stiff for me.

As for the strut bearings, go with Lemforder:
    https://webcat.zf.com/

Bilstein B6 front:
    http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...sport/1013548/
    Bilstein B6 rear:
    http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...sport/1013549/
    Last edited by htomi; Saturday 28th January 2017 at 09:35.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks, but I'm already aware of all the above (the Skandix link is useful, I couldn't remember their name but knew of them). The question is not "what route should I take" but what bits do I need to replace at the same time if going the BCR route.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

This user has no status

Thanks
    I would give them a call and get a clarification what's included in the package and see it from there. They should be able to give you a proper advice what other parts would be required.
    Are you planning to refresh the rest of the suspension? ( tie rods, ball joints, control arms, stabiliser rods, stabilser, subframe bushing)

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    It will be depend on whether you have a saloon or estate, but I have heard from a few people that the rear springs in the estate kit is too soft and had too be up'd in poundage to get it all right, but I do believe that everything is in the kit for them to bolt straight in as the are part of the kit, as they have the top mounts have the adjusters in them.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I cannot see what Year your car is?

For all years the complete front unit is replaced, insulator (spring seat) and bearing. If it's a P1 it's vital the rear springs are changed as the 4kg ones are dangerous. 5kg is ok if you're not going to put much in the boot, if you want to carry loads 6kg are better.

The standard 5kg fronts are ok, I prefer 6kg. 7s are firmer than required for road use.

Thread Information