Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Few modification questions - 2004 V70R GT

All,

I've been thinking about few modifications for my 2004 V70 R. Currently has 96k miles on the clock with the latest available software from Volvo. As you may know, the car is stock, besides the center resonator delete.
    The plan is to improve a bit over few factory parts without going down the tune rote.

I have the following small mods in mind:

1. Forge CBV : http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Dir...uct--1006.html
    I assume, that's the correct one and has to come with the green spring.

2. Sport exhaust without dp and race cat.
    My primary choice would be the the BSR sportflow after cat exhaust, but couldn't find any proper review. The one I've seen on youtube (XC70 2.5T) had a nice deep tone sound, which I'm looking for.
    Secondary option is the TME (2186-5T520R) as most owners seem to be happy with it.
    I don't want any drone.

Opinions are welcome and thanks in advance!
    Last edited by htomi; Thursday 26th January 2017 at 10:09.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Before you consider the above have you replaced your PCV?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Lee,

Yes, the car has been brought back to Stage 0.
    The entire PCV system replaced last summer with original Volvo parts.
    TCV is relatively new (1 year old) and OEM 30670449 (black Pierburg designed for the R)
    Vacuum hoses are 1.5 years old.
    BPS and the one-way valve circle inc valves replaced last year.
    Last Oil change(after 6k miles), inc filter was done last November also Blue Jetex filter cleaned.
    Spark plugs,TBelt wpump, all fluids (gearbox, rear diff, AOC, angle gear, brakes, coolant) replaced last year.
    Fuel filter, fuel pump, and fuel pressure sensor replaced last year.

No faults are present (checked with VIDA last week)
    Last edited by htomi; Thursday 26th January 2017 at 13:18.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to htomi For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Thursday 26th January 2017)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by htomi View Post
    Hi Lee,

Yes, the car has been brought back to Stage 0.
    The entire PCV system replaced last summer with original Volvo parts.
    TCV is relatively new (1 year old) and OEM 30670449 (black Pierburg designed for the R)
    Vacuum hoses are 1.5 years old.
    BPS and the one-way valve circle inc valves replaced last year.
    Last Oil change(after 6k miles), inc filter was done last November also Blue Jetex filter cleaned.
    Spark plugs,TBelt wpump, all fluids (gearbox, rear diff, AOC, angle gear, brakes, coolant) replaced last year.
    Fuel filter, fuel pump, and fuel pressure sensor replaced last year.

No faults are present (checked with VIDA last week)
    Good, then you're all set!

I have the Forge CBV and the stock spring is Green. However, the clues in the name....'stock'. You're not going to be running stock as I assume you'll obviously going to have a remap soon? A remap will give you the best bang for buck and immediate performance increase over stock. That said, the Forge CBV is such a PITA to fit, I'd go right ahead and fit the yellow spring (which may or may not come supplied).
    Forge supplied them FOC when I bought mine and I have all 4 springs, Green, Yellow, blue and Red.
    The yellow spring is tensioned slightly more than the green and will prevent any 'bleeding off' of boost when you eventually get a remap. A remap will, of course, increase boost request, unless you have a custom map with no increase boost request but just other subtle improvements, ie better throttle response or increase torque....though, that's pretty pointless.
    The yellow spring will perform perfectly on a stock map.

I had a BSR cat back system and it was ok. however, I'm now running a custom exhaust as I didn't like the polished chrome, off set round end pipes. With the custom exhaust I had them make it so it looks stock but slightly larger outlets....
    No chrome, slashed downward tips and not offset massively like the BSR.

Fundamentally, a good exhaust manufacturer can make the exhaust as loud or as quiet as you want and at half the price of a TME/Ferrita/BSR etc.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

htomi (Thursday 26th January 2017)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    IMOP the BAR exhausts for an R are far from ideal for a remapped car. They seem to be far more restrictive than a better quality exhaust.

I've said before I've only seen one custom exhaust on an R I feel was good enough but I don't think hat would be suitable for an auto estate as it could be too loud and drone. If it was my money I'd buy one of the TME ones in a flash. If it's only sound you're after they make everything else sound like a Saxo. If it for performance the "basic" system is suitable for about 550BHP and the "really nice one" 750+BHP.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

Harvey (Thursday 26th January 2017),S70T5Chris (Thursday 26th January 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Lee! Appreciate your advice!
    Remap, hmmm.... I'm not exactly sure if I ever want any. (At least not now)
    With that said, does the Forge CBV have any advantage over the stock without remap? I presume yes, however would prefer a confirmation on that. If yes, then I'll buy one with the yellow spring.

Unfortunately I don't know any trusted exhaust shop in my area (nor in Ireland) who would be able to make one for me.
    I would prefer to avoid the cheap 'under the bridge' type shops where usually no questions going to be asked and the end result is more less "you'll be grand...'

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    IMOP the BAR exhausts for an R are far from ideal for a remapped car. They seem to be far more restrictive than a better quality exhaust.

I've said before I've only seen one custom exhaust on an R I feel was good enough but I don't think hat would be suitable for an auto estate as it could be too loud and drone. If it was my money I'd buy one of the TME ones in a flash. If it's only sound you're after they make everything else sound like a Saxo. If it for performance the "basic" system is suitable for about 550BHP and the "really nice one" 750+BHP.
    Thanks Tim!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by htomi View Post
    Thanks Lee! Appreciate your advice!
    Remap, hmmm.... I'm not exactly sure if I ever want any. (At least not now)
    With that said, does the Forge CBV have any advantage over the stock without remap? I presume yes, however would prefer a confirmation on that. If yes, then I'll buy one with the yellow spring.

Unfortunately I don't know any trusted exhaust shop in my area (nor in Ireland) who would be able to make one for me.
    I would prefer to avoid the cheap 'under the bridge' type shops where usually no questions going to be asked and the end result is more less "you'll be grand...'
    Then you really are missing out on the potential that your R has to offer.

Stock maps on any car, not just V70R/S60R's are incredibly restrictive.....approx 20-25% restrictive. They have to be to guarantee longevity and reliability (although that's open to discussion ).

Mapping any car and releasing most of that performance increase across the board yields huge improvements in throttle, driveability, performance and even fuel economy and that's not necessarily pushing your caR to it's limits!
    You won't notice much in the way of a performance gain if you replace stock parts for modified and mechanically improved devices if your not going to allow them to shine by running a stock map.

If you want bang for buck then save your money on the exhaust, CBV and just get it mapped. You'll gain much, MUCH more doing that, than any exhaust or modification can yield.

Best mods on an R, without going overboard, are without doubt DP and full system, Remap and a stage 0 tune. As daily drivers you'll gets more smiles per miles and longevity to boot.
    Stage 0 will future proof your caR for another 100k whilst the zaust will provide the audible gain and improved throttle response, whilst preventing your turbo from cracking by getting rid of the stock DP's restriction (known to increase temps aft the turbo). It's a design flaw that Volvo will never admit to. Getting rid of the stock CAT back exhaust will make a huge improvement even if you keep the stock DP.
    Every little helps!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Thursday 26th January 2017 at 15:44.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

htomi (Thursday 26th January 2017)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I have just one each in stock of Ferrita's Swedish made S60R and V70R exhausts. They have now stopped production of these.

In a few weeks I will have stock of Thomas Alsterfalk's virtually hand made TME systems.... they are however more expensive than the Ferrita stuff.

http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-...v70_-exhausts/

I can let you have the extra cost of shipping to the Republic of Ireland if I have your full address.

Don.
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:

Harvey (Thursday 26th January 2017),htomi (Friday 27th January 2017),jamesy12345 (Friday 27th January 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post

Stock maps on any car, not just V70R/S60R's are incredibly restrictive.....approx 20-25% restrictive. They have to be to guarantee longevity and reliability (although that's open to discussion ).

Mapping any car and releasing most of that performance increase across the board yields huge improvements in throttle, driveability, performance and even fuel economy and that's not necessarily pushing your caR to it's limits!
    You won't notice much in the way of a performance gain if you replace stock parts for modified and mechanically improved devices if your not going to allow them to shine by running a stock map.

If you want bang for buck then save your money on the exhaust, CBV and just get it mapped. You'll gain much, MUCH more doing that, than any exhaust or modification can yield.

Best mods on an R, without going overboard, are without doubt DP and full system, Remap and a stage 0 tune. As daily drivers you'll gets more smiles per miles and longevity to boot.
    Stage 0 will future proof your caR for another 100k whilst the zaust will provide the audible gain and improved throttle response, whilst preventing your turbo from cracking by getting rid of the stock DP's restriction (known to increase temps aft the turbo). It's a design flaw that Volvo will never admit to. Getting rid of the stock CAT back exhaust will make a huge improvement even if you keep the stock DP.
    Every little helps!
    Again, Thanks Lee! I'll think about that.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post

Every little helps!

I don't have a Remap. .

Yet.

About to as most of the mods are in place ready for one .
    I think the most important mod to do is the block mod as the number of R's with cracked blocks when people start to play with the engine.
    The cost of the block mod to a new engine & fitting is just a no brainer to get it done.
    Last edited by Harvey; Thursday 26th January 2017 at 20:35.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

htomi (Friday 27th January 2017),LeeT5 (Friday 27th January 2017)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post

One big plus point the TME is type approved for European use, I also found my last insurance company wasn't interested in it as it is type approved.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

htomi (Friday 27th January 2017),LeeT5 (Friday 27th January 2017)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Harvey!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    About to as most of the mods are in place ready for one .
    I think the most important mod to do is the block mod as the number of R's with cracked blocks when people start to play with the engine.
    The cost of the block mod to a new engine & fitting is just a no brainer to get it done.
    Yes, assume you're talking about shimming the block. It is on the list. First I'll try to find someone locally (Ireland) who can do it properly. If not then it's going to be a trip to Tim to the UK.
    Last edited by htomi; Friday 27th January 2017 at 11:45.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
    I have just one each in stock of Ferrita's Swedish made S60R and V70R exhausts. They have now stopped production of these.

In a few weeks I will have stock of Thomas Alsterfalk's virtually hand made TME systems.... they are however more expensive than the Ferrita stuff.

I can let you have the extra cost of shipping to the Republic of Ireland if I have your full address.

Don.
    Thanks Don!
    PM sent.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post

Don.
    Excellent, I will be defiantly looking at the high flow system, can't wait to get shot of the custom one that came with mine

Thread Information